Coopers Community

Coopers IPA. Better left alone?

Segrigs

57 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

I'll be making a quick and dirty k&b Pacific Summer Ale tomorrow and then an AG pacific ale with a twist on Sunday. Both featuring plenty of Galaxy 🙂 

I’ve been drinking my Pacific Summer Ale recipe you posted, it was quite cloudy at first, but around a week later it’s much clearer and a crisper taste, I didn’t CC it, but I will next time.😃

1 hour ago, Aussiekraut said:

I'll be making a quick and dirty k&b Pacific Summer Ale tomorrow and then an AG pacific ale with a twist on Sunday. Both featuring plenty of Galaxy 🙂 

Just poured a Pacific Summer Ale from the Keezer, looks good, hardly touching the sides 🤣

B4E9D821-D2D9-4981-8874-E03F61507CD8.jpeg

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, alilley said:

So I thought I wouldn't get much bitterness from a 20 min boil. Would a 5-10 min boil be more appropriate, and maybe steep another 10g for a few minutes?

With that kit, it's probably more prudent. Brew A is already a high IBU kit.

Bear in mind, you're brewing with a prehopped/bittered concentrate. With kit brewing, we're 'topping up' according to taste. The IanH recipe sheet with the IPA kit and your original Citra boil takes it to nearly 60 IBU. Not totally mental for that style, but right at the upper end.

With kit brewing,  hop boils up to 20m are typical, but time and amount are dependent on the AA levels of the hop, as I posted before.

1 hour ago, Red devil 44 said:

Just poured a Pacific Summer Ale from the Keezer, looks good, hardly touching the sides 🤣

B4E9D821-D2D9-4981-8874-E03F61507CD8.jpeg

I'm out of mine but I have an AG version of it, which is pretty darn good 🙂 It's been in the bottle for 2 weeks now and is quite tasty. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lab Rat said:

With that kit, it's probably more prudent. Brew A is already a high IBU kit.

Bear in mind, you're brewing with a prehopped/bittered concentrate. With kit brewing, we're 'topping up' according to taste. The IanH recipe sheet with the IPA kit and your original Citra boil takes it to nearly 60 IBU. Not totally mental for that style, but right at the upper end.

With kit brewing,  hop boils up to 20m are typical, but time and amount are dependent on the AA levels of the hop, as I posted before.

Cheers, I'll do that then. I'm trying to keep the bitterness down, adding bit more malt and sweetness and a few extra litres. 

Edited by alilley

43 minutes ago, alilley said:

Cheers, I'll do that then. I'm trying to keep the bitterness down, adding bit more malt and sweetness and a few extra litres. 

Yes, more malt will alter the hop/malt balance. A few extra litres probably won't affect the taste massively, but will bring down the ABV from the extra malt.