Coopers Community

All Things Salumi

ben 10

Pork Belly dry brined in fridge for c. a week w Misty Gully Maple Bacon Cure...  bit of a soak to remove excess salt and cure... then will bake in 120 deg oven for 90 (those who have hot smokers would likely hot smoke it from here... )

The bake-in-oven still does comes up nice and probs is one of the easiest meat/bacon curing type exercises possible... pork belly-zip lock bag-dry brine cure while chilled- soak-then bake... 

; )  Might even had a bit of honey

image.thumb.png.77af0a00954da116f345257420a318ad.png

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Graubart said:

Pork Belly....

; )  Might even had a bit of honey

** ADD a bit of honey (yes I had a bit of honey haha)... apologies...  

image.thumb.png.1ce778e29765b71a9359425f9e93719a.png

Anyway - did a bit of a glaze up... came up nice...  think I would have soaked the brine-cured belly a bit more in water to reduce overall saltiness prior to baking finish : )

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Graubart said:

Dry-brined and compressed Lonza now in for dry curing with three different rubs... Black Pepper and Juniper Berries, Pepper and Smoky Paprika, and Garlic Powder:

image.thumb.png.3a6c106d9be064aa598eb4be32b4a52e.png

Awesome @Graubart you old Pirate, very creative & fine looking Charcuterie, ( I wonder if many no what that means ) I can only imagine what would smell & taste like.

I dabble in similar exploits, here's a Beef Jerky mix I put together for dehydrating tomorrow.

Cheers me heartie !!

20210224_150723.jpg

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

here's a Beef Jerky mix I put together for dehydrating tomorrow.

Oh beautiful beautiful Cobber!!

34 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

very creative & fine looking Charcuterie, ( I wonder if many know what that means )

I tell yer there is one fella that does haha... @Green Blob the King of the Chorizo 😋

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 2/24/2021 at 3:01 PM, CLASSIC said:

here's a Beef Jerky mix I put together for dehydrating tomorrow.

Just sliced some topside tonight for the same thing tomorrow.

Also ground some pork shoulder for hot dogs tomorrow.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Green Blob said:

Thanks heaps for the link GB. I'm going to def order this. Just made a new batch of the Thai snags mate and dropped the flour. Kneaded the meat a whole lot more before the casings went on. Beeautiful mate. Jobs done - cheers!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ozdevil said:

i think this thread needs to be locked

i put 2kgs on each time i visit the thread 🤣

by next weekend at the rate of posts i'll be over 200kg   as i am sitting on 160kg now

but hey some nice meat though fellas and ladies

Haha. I'm the same, Oz. I look at this thread and say to myself, "Oooh, I must try that." 
But as things turn out I'm almost vegetarian currently. I'm overweight and need to shed some. Rather than give up beer I've cut back on meat for the time being. Once I hit my target weight I'll be back on the meat with a vengeance and trying some of these tasty recipes.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, ozdevil said:

i think this thread needs to be locked

i put 2kgs on each time i visit the thread 🤣

by next weekend at the rate of posts i'll be over 200kg   as i am sitting on 160kg now

but hey some nice meat though fellas and ladies

And I'm trying to reduce my cholesterol levels, this thread is the work of the devil.

• Haha 3

On 2/28/2021 at 6:43 PM, Green Blob said:
On 2/24/2021 at 4:40 PM, CLASSIC said:

I am about to start dabbling in salami & other stuff,

https://www.booktopia.com.au/charcuterie-michael-ruhlman/book/9780393240054.html

Recommend that book mate

Hey GB, kids gave me a Webber Smokey Mountain a while back (Hot smoker) would you have any recipes that I could have a crack at in this thing? I've done a brisket and a couple of chooks but feeling a bit underwhelmed with the results so far....any advice or help much appreciated. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mickep said:

Hey GB, kids gave me a Webber Smokey Mountain a while back (Hot smoker) would you have any recipes that I could have a crack at in this thing? I've done a brisket and a couple of chooks but feeling a bit underwhelmed with the results so far....any advice or help much appreciated. 

Probably more the thread you are looking for....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1