Coopers Community

All Things Salumi

ben 10

27 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Been fun.

Every loaf different... 

And this last Ciabatta-ish one was a beaut...

That said all have been good.

Do you bake @Green Blob in Dutch Oven or normal oven or w Pizza Stone or Clay Baker like a Römertopf Blobski?

Mr Grauber I am just wondering if you have ever made Damper, you can really herb/taste it up a bit with Bacon, olives, garlic - it's quick, no fuss & goes great with anything.

Just for an Irish twist soda bread is great too especially with Curries, Mornays etc.

Rather a piece of bread with a happy heart than wealth with grief. – Egyptian Proverb

1 hour ago, CLASSIC said:

Mr Grauber I am just wondering if you have ever made Damper, you can really herb/taste it up a bit with Bacon, olives, garlic - it's quick, no fuss & goes great with anything.

Just for an Irish twist soda bread is great too especially with Curries, Mornays etc.

Rather a piece of bread with a happy heart than wealth with grief. – Egyptian Proverb

Thanks Cobber for the suggestion.

Yeah honestly I have tried the old Damper and also a nice Soda Bread but currently really am into the yeast driven fermented dough bread thing and the texture and flavour it can provide... not saying the others are not nice by any means but am really enjoying the slow rise yeast powered breads and trying the different opportunities ; ) 

And nice saying... thanks Phil.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

Emile Henry Tagine & you can actually make bread in it,

Festive Device Phil - and what a cracking loaf mate - slow rise with dry yeast?

I don't believe yours is the real thing - it's not red !?! 😆

Haha would much rather a Blue One too Phil hahah!  Gold.

Do you heat the pharque out of it before popping the dough loaf in?  And then take the lid off after phase 1 steam cooking?

11 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Festive Device Phil - and what a cracking loaf mate - slow rise with dry yeast?

I don't believe yours is the real thing - it's not red !?! 😆

Haha would much rather a Blue One too Phil hahah!  Gold.

Do you heat the pharque out of it before popping the dough loaf in?  And then take the lid off after phase 1 steam cooking?

Howdy Graubster,

Mine is the red coloured on the top, I nicked that bread photo from the internet but I have made Crusty White, Ancient Grains etc very similar process to the Sunbeam Bakehouse I have.

Yeah whack it in hot then remove lid & wrap in a tea towel to aid rising. Damn good fun & nice smells through the house.

I make lots of other stuff in there too.

Cheers.

• Haha 1

On 3/19/2021 at 9:41 AM, Green Blob said:

@CLASSIC - jerky time, I'll dehydrate it tomorrow.
Salt, pepper, garlic, chipotle powder, ancho powder, smoked paprika and fresh habaneros.

The powders come from Chilli Mojo on Magill road. AMAZING shop.

PXL_20210323_072353920.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Green Blob said:

The powders come from Chilli Mojo on Magill road. AMAZING shop.

PXL_20210323_072353920.jpg

Awesome Blobber, don't you use liquid smoke ? That looks awesome anyway, a man after my own heart, not girly about Chilli. 🌶️ That is a great shop, I have been there quite often.

Are you in Adelaide ? I guess that is Topside. Cheers.

18 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

I would if you are kind enough to share a few basics,

So... basics.
Pork belly.

Coated in a specific amount of curing salt and non-iodised salt. The above also has brown sugar. 

Some do wet cure, I prefer dry for bacon.

The above will appear quite wet later and I'll turn it over in a day or two. The meat will firm up. 

When done I'll remove from the cure and rinse, then leave uncovered in the fridge overnight. This allows the surface to become sligtly sticky.

Then smoke to 65°c internal, cool and slice.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Green Blob said:

So... basics.
Pork belly.

Coated in a specific amount of curing salt and non-iodised salt. The above also has brown sugar. 

Some do wet cure, I prefer dry for bacon.

The above will appear quite wet later and I'll turn it over in a day or two. The meat will firm up. 

When done I'll remove from the cure and rinse, then leave uncovered in the fridge overnight. This allows the surface to become sligtly sticky.

OK Cheers for that I especially like Hickory type flavours so I could do something like that. Thanks. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Green Blob said:

So does the Hot Smoker have a probe that controls the temp @Green Blob Blobski or just a dial and some settings... and you track internal temp yourself w separate device?

You truly are the Sultan of Salumi The Big Lablobski!

Edited by Graubart

2 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

OK Cheers for that I especially like Hickory type flavours so I could do something like that.

you could do it in the oven and add liquid smoke mate

1 hour ago, Graubart said:

So does the Hot Smoker have a probe that controls the temp @Green Blob Blobski or just a dial and some settings... and you track internal temp yourself w separate device?

You truly are the Sultan of Salumi The Big Lablobski!

Cheap shitty Hark 2 door. I just guess now, used to use bluetooth probe thingy....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1