Coopers Community

All Things Salumi

ben 10

Just now, Green Blob said:

Yeah. Slow ferment is good for bread.

Super - I do 18-24 hours regularly around 20 - then a bit warmer for second.

But I am thinking if I do it low and slow for say 48 or more in fridge - then bring out into ambient say around 22 - it might help with that big bubble production for those nice fluffly texture for some styles of bread?

3 minutes ago, Graubart said:

But I am thinking if I do it low and slow for say 48 or more in fridge - then bring out into ambient say around 22 - it might help with that big bubble production for those nice fluffly texture for some styles of bread?

Maybe, why not make a sourdough culture? Mine is well over 10 years old.

2 minutes ago, Green Blob said:

Maybe, why not make a sourdough culture? Mine is well over 10 years old.

Just the bowl of flour and water and take half out and keep feeding? 

I was not making bread regularly like I am now and lost mine... and seemed a waste of flour?

Though of course makes great product!

Haha GB mate you have got me inspired to do so many other festive cookery brewery things so maybe I should do it haha!

Edited by Graubart

Just now, Graubart said:

Just the bowl of flour and water and take half out and keep feeding?

Yep. As for use mine stayed in the fridge for 2 months and I went overseas. Worked just fine when I used it again.

4 minutes ago, Green Blob said:

Yep. As for use mine stayed in the fridge for 2 months and I went overseas. Worked just fine when I used it again.

Did you have a full jar with no airgap?  The one I did was fine but after being in fridge for about a month was furry... yours sounds like a beaut...

Shame you are not down the road I'd come down and pinch a bit to start a good culture : )

3 minutes ago, Green Blob said:

Reminds be of the old days Chinese people kept a master stock going for years, they probably still do but with modern technology things may have changed.

Then there was Mum in the kitchen tending to her precious Ginger Beer plant, she was horrified years later when us kids got the idea to make it alcoholic !  🤣

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

Reminds be of the old days Chinese people kept a master stock going for years, they probably still do but with modern technology things may have changed.

Then there was Mum in the kitchen tending to her precious Ginger Beer plant, she was horrified years later when us kids got the idea to make it alcoholic !

There was a Chinese restaurant in Melbourne's CBD which claimed they used a master stock which had been handed down for over 3 hundred years - not sure how true that is.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Mickep said:

There was a Chinese restaurant in Melbourne's CBD which claimed they used a master stock which had been handed down for over 3 hundred years - not sure how true that is.

QUOTE: In theory, a master stock could be sustained indefinitely if due care is taken to ensure it does not spoil. There are claims of master stocks in China that are hundreds of years old, passed down through generations of cooks in this way.

• Like 2

Latest Bread came out nice... lightest of such loaves made so far... good overnight first rise... then long second rise... yeah pretty good - bit like a Ciabatta type texture but bit more crusty and great flavour with the wholemeal mix:

image.thumb.png.d80edab3d4a90b3672d7442b2767ce3b.png

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Graubart said:

Wow Blobski!?!

Do you put in the Cabinet or some other dehydration methodology?  Help please @Green Blob

Hey Graubster, looks good, should pack & punch, not for the chilli sissy's !

@Green Blob   Get on of these, you can dehydrate anything.  I do make my own recipes as does @Graubart  but sometimes easier to buy a pack of mix from LBHS, Cheers All.

20210224_152137.jpg

20210224_152152.jpg

20210224_152207.jpg

20210225_094131.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, CLASSIC said:

I use Prime Topside, absolutely NO fat/sinew. The GRAUBSTER probably grows his own ! 🐄 🐃

Haha Phil you are a Champ.... I'd have to rustle one off the wealthy ffkkkkkkkkker's animals that shitttt just over the fence ; )

But I did nab the purveyor of destruction in my garden area (or one of them) overnight - if I had your furtoflesh carcass_dressing skills coulda prepped him up : )

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Graubart said:

Haha Phil you are a Champ.... I'd have to rustle one off the wealthy ffkkkkkkkkker's animals that shitttt just over the fence ; )

But I did nab the purveyor of destruction in my garden area (or one of them) overnight - if I had your furtoflesh carcass_dressing skills coulda prepped him up : )

You should have just sliced a couple of kilos form the rump or fillet & left the rest for the Indians american-native-chief-head-mascot-vector-id859967100?k=6&m=859967100&s=612x612&w=0&h=DcZfTj-70J0ZfjlDeKnXvGvTalSQrCFESjin1Ba9wkA=

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

You should have just sliced a couple of kilos form the rump or fillet & left the rest for the Indians 

Haha this was one of those smaller furry hopping types that the Poms kindly brought over and left here to leave a trail of destruction over this beautiful fragile land... 

Those ones that you might have a few of in your freezer 😉

Edited by Graubart