Coopers Community

Incoming or safe?

ozlizard

Hoping I haven't created bottle bombs! APA was bottled yesterday. It was started on the 23rd, OG was 1.060, by the 26th was was down to 1.024, then the following 3 days was at 1.022.

So total ferment time was 6 days and looked like it had finished. The worry is that the bottles are starting to firm up already, is this normal or is there clear and present danger? 😲

10 minutes ago, ozlizard said:

Hoping I haven't created bottle bombs! APA was bottled yesterday. It was started on the 23rd, OG was 1.060, by the 26th was was down to 1.024, then the following 3 days was at 1.022.

So total ferment time was 6 days and looked like it had finished. The worry is that the bottles are starting to firm up already, is this normal or is there clear and present danger? 😲

Without knowing the recipe details 1.022 does sound a tad high.   I had a stuck fermentation a while back that finished at 1.022.  I gave up trying to coax it back into action after trying everything and eventually bottled it up. Sure enough the bottles started to firm up real quick after that and I have since been forced to ease off the pressure of each bottle, checking them daily.  The pressure from residual unfermented sugars plus priming sugar could easily result in bottle failure!  

I don't know what it is about stuck fermentations but the only thing I know of that seems to reliably to get them restarted again is bottling the beer! 😁

Edited by BlackSands
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, BlackSands said:

I don't know what it is about stuck fermentations but the only thing I know of that seems to reliably to gets them restarted again is bottling the beer! 

That's what I am worried about! Yeah I guess 1.022 is a bit high but it was the same for 3 days, temps were spot on so I see no reason why it would be stuck, but hey what do I know!

Recipe was:

Coopers APA 1.7kg

LDM 500g

Citra hops 12g at start

Citra hops 12g after 2 days

When you say firm up, do you mean you used PET bottles? That is not so dangerous. 

Not sure what your recipe was, but a FG of 1.022 seems high.

Personally I don't believe in bottling or starting the CC before day 8.  And I always raise the temp by 2C, to at least 20C, for the last two, to make sure it finishes; for example the APA yeast is an ale/lager blend and should be fermented at 18C to start, until fermentation dies down. If your fermentation temp was 20C or higher, that probably isn't necessary, but I still like to do it.

Cheers,

Christina.

Edited by ChristinaS1

That recipe should not have an OG of 1060...

You need to check your hydrometer, or check how you measure.

That recipe should be around 1038-1042 and finish around the 1015ish (cant remember off the top of my head) It should end up with an abv of 4.2 or so, so you could work back with those figures

• Like 1

Now I see your recipe. Ian's Spreadsheet says your OG should have been 1.031. Your FG should have been more like 1.007. Repspec is right that something is off with your hydrometer, or how you measure.

If the FG really was 1.022, you will probably have to do what BlackSands suggested.

Edited by ChristinaS1

Your OG would have been around 1.030 with just the can and 500g DME (assuming 23 litres).   In other words it's barely fermented at all!   😨

Or... was it significantly less than a 23 litre batch?

I've heard of folks who found themselves in a similar situation to this actually tipped the contents of the bottles back into the FV, added some more malt into the mix and then let things proceed from there.  Kind of a drastic measure with some risks... but a possibility I guess.   😟

Edited by BlackSands

2 minutes ago, BlackSands said:

Or... was it significantly less than a 23 litre batch?

Oh my bad, I should have said that it was a 10lt brew! The recipe says that the ABV should be about 7.1% which is why I wasn't surprised at the high OG. I haven't followed the recipe exactly so some deviation would be excepted.

3 minutes ago, ozlizard said:

Oh my bad, I should have said that it was a 10lt brew! The recipe says that the ABV should be about 7.1% which is why I wasn't surprised at the high OG. I haven't followed the recipe exactly so some deviation would be excepted.

Phew!   That changes everything!   😂

Edited by BlackSands

At 10 litres that recipe is estimated to finish around 1.017. So you've bottled approx. 5 points higher likely with unfermented sugars still present & added priming sugar.

Luckily you've bottled in PET's so you'll have to periodically release the pressure from them until the carbonation level settles. I've not had to go through this procedure, but hopefully someone on the forum that has successfully, can offer a strategy.

If you don't, I'd expect something like Ben 10's picture 🤣 (at some stage).

Best of luck with it.

Lusty.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Beerlust said:

If you don't, I'd expect something like Ben 10's picture 🤣 (at some stage).

Best of luck with it.

OK time to bunker down! I wonder why the fermentation was stuck though?

Oh well will keep an eye on it, it's only 12 bottles so no biggie to have to release the pressure. I might move them to the spare bathroom cos if they explode in the pantry then that's where I will be sleeping for some time......

6 days is pretty early to be bottling it regardless of it being stable, stuck or whatever else. 

On the subject of bottling seeming to wake the yeast up, maybe it would work in the fermenter as well by throwing in 100g or so of sugar. I've only ever had one stuck ferment, and sure enough it woke up in the bottles, blowing two up and significantly over carbonating the rest. If it ever happens again I'll try "priming" the fermenter and see if it gets going again. I don't have to worry about bottle bombs anymore but the flavour would be affected a bit. 

24 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

....maybe it would work in the fermenter as well by throwing in 100g or so of sugar. I've only ever had one stuck ferment, and sure enough it woke up in the bottles, blowing two up and significantly over carbonating the rest. If it ever happens again I'll try "priming" the fermenter and see if it gets going again.

This was one of several things I tried -  it didn't work.  😟 

13 minutes ago, ozlizard said:

I popped the lids to release the pressure and placed them in the shower recess of the spare bathroom. What could possibly go wrong?

Lesson learned.

Just stick them under your bed (joking) like someone I know didn’t end well and wife was rightfully pissed he is now somewhat of a legend now for the wrong reasons😳 when I heard the story knowing him I laughed till I cried not sure if he is married or not still 🤣 No one was hurt fortunately.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

6 days is pretty early to be bottling it regardless of it being stable, stuck or whatever else. 

+1

I'd get out of that habit quick smart. Brewing beer isn't a race. 😉

Cheers,

Lusty.

10 hours ago, Beerlust said:

I'd get out of that habit quick smart. Brewing beer isn't a race. 

Agreed, as I said lesson learned the hard way.

I don't think I can save them, when I released the pressure this morning they fizzed up and overflowed. I guess it would do no good to tip them back into the fermenter? How would the carbonation sugar affect things and could I add more at the rebottling? I am thinking of starting over gain and cutting my losses, after all it's only 12 bottles.

5 minutes ago, Hairy said:

You could tip them into a fermenter, let them ferment out and then re-bottle.

It will likely be oxidised but if you drink them quickly you may get away with it.

Yeah could work but I think I will just put this one down to experience and do it again. Going to see if I can get some fresh hops from South West Hops instead of using the "teabags". Just hope it doesn't get stuck again. Not sure if the temps can cause that, however the temps in the pantry are pretty consistent, never lower than 18 and never higher than 20-21?