Coopers Community

What's in your BBQ 2019?

Beerlust

3 hours ago, Beerlust said:

....and about 5½ hours later we have this...

Pork-TenneseeRub3_20-1-19.jpg

Internal temp was just under 71°C so have yanked it off & wrapped it in foil. Below I have some baked spuds & carrots in foil cooking. I've collected some drippings from the meat & might have a crack at making a gravy out of the strained liquid from it.

Gonna crack a fresh pale ale I kegged earlier today from the keg shortly. Life is good right now. ☺️

Cheers,

Lusty.

Look like a top day lusty,

I've got the brick oven going, started with a few pizzas while it was super hot. Then a little brisket has been in about 3 hrs, baked potatoes and corn. Homemade chicken burgers on the Weber Q for the kids and lunches for a few days. A few beers also! 

20190120_153021.jpg

20190120_164536.jpg

20190120_170421.jpg

20190120_165508.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

When you add wood chips it blows a stack of smoke like in the pic, but calms down as they die out.

Cheers,

Lusty.

It looks thicker because the sun is behind it as well. I find with the pellets wrapped in foil that nothing much happens when they first go in, then it gradually builds up to like it is in the pic, stays like that for a good 10-15 minutes or more then gradually dies down to nothing again. I smoked the bacon for about 4 hours yesterday, and used 5 pouches of pellets, obviously one at the beginning once the charcoal was going properly, then waited for the smoke to start building up before I put the bacon in. 

I used that method described above for the charcoal at the start, using one load in the chimney starter, with unlit charcoal in the basket with a "hole" in the middle for the lit stuff to go into. It worked well, the temperature held for around 3 hours or so then started dropping slightly so I added a bit more to keep it up.

1 hour ago, Hilltop hops said:

Look like a top day lusty,

I've got the brick oven going, started with a few pizzas while it was super hot. Then a little brisket has been in about 3 hrs, baked potatoes and corn. Homemade chicken burgers on the Weber Q for the kids and lunches for a few days. A few beers also! 

20190120_153021.jpg

20190120_164536.jpg

20190120_170421.jpg

20190120_165508.jpg

like your style !!  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ben 10 said:

How was it? I have never gone that low with a shoulder. I go for around 95°

Cooked perfectly all the way through. Tender as. It still keeps cooking for a bit after you take it off the heat when wrapped in foil. I reckon it would be pretty dry if the internal temp was 95°C.

The meat was awesome. The gravy turned out well from the drippings. The spuds & carrots were good too. The crackling I did in the oven was the best I reckon I've ever made. I doubt I'll do it any other way now.

The kegged Pale Ale went down a treat too.

Good day all around. ☺️

Cheers,

Lusty.

Edited by Beerlust
  • Like 4

23 hours ago, Beerlust said:

I reckon it would be pretty dry if the internal temp was 95°C.

Majority of low and slow i cook gets taken off between 92°c - 95°c and then rested for up to 2 hours and is always very juicy and tender. 

1 hour ago, Hoppy81 said:

Majority of low and slow i cook gets taken off between 92°c - 95°c and then rested for up to 2 hours and is always very juicy and tender. 

Fair call guys, I wasn't having a dig at all. I just know what I cooked, what temp it was when I pulled it off, that it was cooked through, & how easy the knife slid through it for carving. I left mine in foil for a good hour before carving mine.

I carved some for sandwiches earlier this morning & was able to cut very thin slices effortlessly. I gave some slices to my butcher that supplied me with the meat, the boarder that lives with me, & my boss at work. They all said it was awesome.

Everything I've read about cooking pork is to not overcook it. If I had to pick a cut of meat I have had more praise for cooking well above others it would be pork.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Edited by Beerlust
  • Like 1

On 1/20/2019 at 7:54 PM, Ben 10 said:

How was it? I have never gone that low with a shoulder. I go for around 95°

1 hour ago, Hoppy81 said:

If you follow the yank way of cooking these smoker type BBQ's most of them work on creating a "bark" (as they call it) or hard crust on the outside of the meat. I'm not knocking the technique but have seen how much 'bark' they often have on the outside of their meat & I don't want mine like that with pork. A very thin crust sure, but not a half inch+ thick bark.

Tender, juicy pork could almost be classified as one of God's gifts to this Earth. Why torch & harden that gorgeous luxury available to human indulgence? 🤔

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

Tender, juicy pork could almost be classified as one of God's gifts to this Earth. Why torch & harden that gorgeous luxury available to human indulgence? 🤔

Hmmm I’d say that the biggest religious sector on the planet earth would disagree with that statement there Lusty. 

Personally. Don’t eat pork cause it tastes like sh!t. Not saying pig, just pork. 

If I did eat it, I’d say that the crust (Bark) would be a good thing for flavour and texture. But again, each to their own 

8 hours ago, Beerlust said:

A very thin crust sure, but not a half inch+ thick bark.

I'll post a pic next time i go that hot, mine is not about bark, it is about breaking down the collagen and having the softest and juiciest meat. do not knock it until you have tried it, otherwise how can you know. Having worked as a chef for 10 years i may know some stuff.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Hoppy81 said:

I start probing at 90 but it can be ready as high as 97-98. I go on feel and not temperature. Every single cut of meat is different 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

I'll post a pic next time i go that hot, mine is not about bark, it is about breaking down the collagen and having the softest and juiciest meat. do not knock it until you have tried it, otherwise how can you know. Having worked as a chef for 10 years i may know some stuff.

I'm hearin' what you are saying Ben about the breakdown of collagen. Does this coincide at the point of the cook where the yanks say the meat temp "stalls"?

Cheers,

Lusty.

11 hours ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

Hmmm I’d say that the biggest religious sector on the planet earth would disagree with that statement there Lusty.

That's good for me because it means it is highly unlikely there will ever be a worldwide shortage of pork.

Yum yum.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

Does this coincide at the point of the cook where the yanks say the meat temp "stalls"?

i don't know, i have not had a stall. i think the connective tissue and stuff starts to breakdown around where you stopped. definitely give higher a chance sometime. the bark thing i feel is from sugar that the mericans seem to like using in their rubs - not for me at all really.

5 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

i don't know, i have not had a stall. i think the connective tissue and stuff starts to breakdown around where you stopped. definitely give higher a chance sometime. the bark thing i feel is from sugar that the mericans seem to like using in their rubs - not for me at all really.

On the top of what both you & Beer Baron have said, I will mate. 🙂

Maybe seems a little simplistic, but I have always worked off "an hour per kilo plus half an hour" with beef, lamb, & pork when regular roasting & gas BBQ rotisserie roasting. Having this smoker with lower cooking temps & longer cooks is the first time I've actually had to measure the inside temperature of the meat, as that formula is not viable under these conditions.

I'm two cooks in with it, so very much still learning.

Cheers,

Lusty.

I'll chime in on this thread, I also love my barbecue-ing (The American kind!)

I've done pulled pork many a time and it has always been cooked low and slow for 9-12 hours and pulled.  internal temp 195-203F (sorry, this is what the Yanks use so I only know my finishing temps in F).

I've had the stall plenty of times.  Moreso on brisket.  I'd love to have a temperature probe that can collect and store data points so I could graph it over time.  Maybe one day I'll knock one together from online instructions.  With pulled pork it is so fatty and juicy that I sometimes don't wrap it (Texas crutch) to get it through the stall.  It still comes out moist and delicious.  Brisket I always wrap.

Re: bark, I don't think it is reliant on sugars @Ben 10.  Like you, my go to brisket and beef short rib rub is "dalmation" aka the old salt and pepper.  I've had phenomenal bark from just this rub.  I use Meathead (from Amazing Ribs) Memphis Dust recipe for a pulled pork rub and that also had a good bark, esp unwrapped for the entire cook.

I think bark is enhanced by the type of cooker.  I get a good bark on both of my barbecues - the classic Weber kettle that started my journey and the larger Hark Texas Pro Pit that I bought to cater to large numbers of people.  If I had to pick from the two, the Texas Pro Pit using logs of ironbark timber in the firebox creates the best result.  Fuel and time intensive, whereas cooking with Firebrand briquettes can be a set and forget job in either cooker.

Overdue for a cook.  Haven't done one since Christmas (ham on 23rd Dec and pulled pork on 25th)