Coopers Community

What's in your BBQ 2019?

Beerlust

hey Otto, bacon looks awsome,  nice work!

the empty glass in the photo?  on a beer forum?  mods?.......just kiddin, i think a pic of cooked said bacon and a lovely full beer will rectify all

regards

Guv 😁

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

thinking about it @Beerlust, what you did and what we are talking about are two different things.

You went an Aussie roast smoked.

We are talking American Que. Falling apart pork is the goal there. 

Both are valid options.

Yeah I don't want it falling apart for pulled pork. I've got an in-house slow cooker I use for that.

Cheers,

Lusty.

2 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

you don't want smoked pullled pork??

Hmmm....maybe. 😉 I'll definitely give your 95°C temp pulled pork deal a go at some point Ben.

I have some liquid smoke. I've marinated steaks in a partial mix with it & it tastes really good actually. Only grilled those steaks though. It would be interesting to use on a whole piece of meat in a slow cooker (not a smoker) cooking in a suitable sauce for pulled meat recipes. I've cooked chicken breasts in sauces like this & then you pull them apart & drop it all back into the sauce to let it absorb. Really good for wraps & tacos etc.

Cheers,

Lusty.

22 hours ago, Beerlust said:

It would be interesting to use on a whole piece of meat in a slow cooker (not a smoker) cooking in a suitable sauce for pulled meat recipes.

My wife did this to make pulled pork. Can't remember the added flavourings, but the end result was delicious! 

Pork ribs marinated in hoisin sauce for a day or so and then into the slow cooker... Also delicious!

Cheers, 

John 

• Like 1

I did marinated beef ribs in my slow cooker when the family went west last year and I was working in the yard all day. Came out great and washed it down with a tallie of Coopers Extra Stout. 

The dinner was fantastic but the meat sweats and after effects the next day was substantial!

I might have to do that again soon... 🤔

• Like 2

I was a cook in the Army & have kept things going all these years with Cooking with various methods from Slow Cookers, Moroccan Tagines, BBQ/Weber & many others.

I have smoked Fish & other cuts of meat but one of my favorite things is making Beef Jerky, the Butcher I use makes it himself so he sells me the same meat he uses, extra lean top quality Topside, I make various flavours but Chilli is King. 

I also dry Chillies/Tomatoes/Nectarines etc. 

Yesterday I made another batch of Habanero Chilli Nectarine Jam ( great for Cheese Plates etc ) I make it hotter than normal & believe me it ain't for the faint-hearted.

• Like 2

On 1/22/2019 at 9:59 PM, Ben 10 said:

...pullled pork??

Sounds like you're straining a bit there mate on the separation phase? 😜

In sporting circles that could be construed as maybe you've "done a hammy"?! 🤣

Edited by Beerlust
  • Haha 1

Rather than throw my old smoker out, I decided to repurpose it instead as a makeshift fire pit. Did a test run the other day and it went well. Only thing I did to it was drill a bunch of holes in the charcoal bowl to get some bloody oxygen in from the bottom. Next time I'll use one of the cooking racks to put the wood on.

20190128_141430.thumb.jpg.4ebd66992f769f9a1f0d983206e857a0.jpg

On 1/20/2019 at 6:44 PM, Hilltop hops said:

Look like a top day lusty,

I've got the brick oven going, started with a few pizzas while it was super hot. Then a little brisket has been in about 3 hrs, baked potatoes and corn. Homemade chicken burgers on the Weber Q for the kids and lunches for a few days. A few beers also! 

20190120_153021.jpg

20190120_164536.jpg

I find it interesting you have the gas Weber Q and a wood fired pizza oven.
I have the gas Weber and bought some pizza stones for it. Pizzas turn out well from it.
I got rid of my old charcoal Weber because I got frustrated not being able to keep charcoal alight properly. I also brew extracts. That probably says something more about me than the BBQ. 😄