Coopers Community

What's in your BBQ 2019?

Beerlust

33 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

How long & at what temp did you cook them for? What did you rub on them?

Cheers,

Lusty.

I picked up some rubs at the beer and bbq festival in Adelaide last year, this particular one tastes great and is what i used on the ribs.

I cooked it at 110°c for about 2.5 hours uncovered to allow the smoke in then wrapped it for a further 1.5 hours, then let it rest for about 30 minutes. They
Are Aldi pork ribs and i can not fault them at all, same as the brisket i cooked recently was from Aldi.

Resized_20181231_145759.thumb.jpeg.7d3ce24dc1b046747925d861d850ff1a.jpeg

Cheers,
Hoppy

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Hoppy81 said:

I picked up some rubs at the beer and bbq festival in Adelaide last year, this particular one tastes great and is what i used on the ribs.

I cooked it at 110°c for about 2.5 hours uncovered to allow the smoke in then wrapped it for a further 1.5 hours, then let it rest for about 30 minutes.

Cheers. 👍

5 minutes ago, Hoppy81 said:

...They are Aldi pork ribs and i can not fault them at all, same as the brisket i cooked recently was from Aldi.

I've been hearing good things about their specialty roasts & cuts of meat. My better half buys a cut of lamb that is marinated & herbed up. Each time she cooks it, it has a lovely flavour & is always nice & tender. For my smoker & big cuts of meat I still prefer to support & buy from my local butcher. Nothing is too hard for them to make up for me.

Good stuff! 😎

Lusty.

• Like 1

I always wonder what people have with nicely smoked/barbecued ribs etc, apart from a beer of your choice &/or a nice wine,  my choice is sweet corn/baby potatoes smothered in olive oil/butter dressed with cracked pepper& sea salt,  parsley etc along with garlic  bread & coleslaw  & more beer or wine.

Cheers 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Beer Baron said:

I have FINALLY found Cape Grim meat to try. I had to drive 40 minutes to get it though. 

I might cook it on Super Bowl day. Go the Patriots!!

B53C863A-868C-41A6-9806-544A98AD785E.jpeg

Beer Baron, the ultimate!!! My local Harris farm told me they aren't stocking cape grim anymore. Dammit. They were great before to get these short ribs in. He even said he could order in the whole packer brisket if I wanted it. Which HF is this?

1 hour ago, joolbag said:

Beer Baron, the ultimate!!! My local Harris farm told me they aren't stocking cape grim anymore. Dammit. They were great before to get these short ribs in. He even said he could order in the whole packer brisket if I wanted it. Which HF is this?

The is from the Erina Fair store on the Central Coast. I think they did have the whole packer brisket in stock. It was $90

How do you cook them @joolbag 

I have read a few different methods. 

I was going to trim a tiny bit of the thick fat off the top and inject with some beef stock/apple juice mixture and just put salt and pepper on the ribs. I will smoke around 120 degrees celsius and spritz every hour. I will only wrap and rest for 1-2 hours when they are probing soft like butter, 90-97 degrees celsius. 

Thoughts??

Sounds perfect mate. Everyone I've done beef shorties they have taken bang on 8 hrs in the smoker. At around 225-250F. You want it to probe like butter between the rib bones but have the tiniest resistance when it goes through the membrane. I like to wrap my barbecue cuts usually for pulled pork and brisket. Short ribs are the only cut that I will leave as is. If you had success wrapping, stick to it so dinner is on time!

Beer Baron: nice cook, nice dark smoke ring and bark, they look delicious. I always find beef ribs harder to cook than pork, I guess it needs slow & long?

How long did you cook them? 

Just noticed your temp probe, it seems to be just under the fat is there a reason for this? Only reason I ask is I usually go into the middle of thickest part.

10 hours ago, Beers Gone Wild said:

Beer Baron: nice cook, nice dark smoke ring and bark, they look delicious. I always find beef ribs harder to cook than pork, I guess it needs slow & long?

How long did you cook them? 

Just noticed your temp probe, it seems to be just under the fat is there a reason for this? Only reason I ask is I usually go into the middle of thickest part.

They were cooked for about 8 hours and rested for 1-5 hours. The probe did enter near the fat but was in the meaty part and later in the day I put it in the right hand side.

Pretty happy for my first attempt at ribs!! 

Beer Baron

On 2/13/2019 at 6:55 PM, Beers Gone Wild said:

Cooked Planked Salmon for tea tonight.

241A503A-8D4B-434B-B81B-1BA2FE014378.jpeg

Looks damn good Wild,Been waiting to smoke some Salmon this way but the damn stuff is so bloody expensive to buy here, Might have to wait till Easter and head down the south coast and catch me own.

12 minutes ago, Beers Gone Wild said:

They are tasty that’s for sure 😉 If you have an Aldi around your way, plank + salmon $16. Good quality salmon, feeds 3.

Nearest Aldi is about 150ks West or South , Have to look it up next time we near one , Cheers for the tip.

3 hours ago, Spudley said:

In the smoker for tonights dinner Pork Belly plait infused with Apple juice , smoked with Apple 🍏 saw dust , spritzing with Apple juice throughout the cook 

I used some apple wood chips for the smoked aspect with my smoker pork last time. It's a flavour that works really well with pork. I admit to being a little sceptical at first, but the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

I'm not real keen on those fruit sauces often linked & advised with roasted pork, as I'd much rather eat those separately with some ice-cream after the pork. 😉

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 1