Coopers Community

What's in your BBQ 2019?

Beerlust

Beer Baron those shortys look great, nice and juicy.

Lusty I totally agree about sourcing good meat it makes a difference, our Butchers here vary. Heading down to try grab a Brisket this morning for Saturday cook, normally it is touch and go if they have available or are good quality.

My Amazn smoker tubes arrived this morning so I can cold smoke some cheese, just waiting for a nice cold day. I usually smoke Cheddar from Coles when on its on special, for about 3 hours, then Vacuum and let mature for 8 weeks. Crackers, smoked cheese and Home Brewed beer goes down very well.

Did 2KG of wings last night for tea, ran at 270F for 40 mins, basted, then 350F for about 10-15 mins, they tasted real good, moist and falling off the bone. 

IMG_6575.JPG

IMG_6568.JPG

IMG_6570.JPG

• Like 3

Like  @Beers Gone Wild my local butchers vary. Going back a few yrs, proper American BBQ was almost unknown in these parts. I really struggled getting the right cuts of meat for the smoker. Glad that things have improved.

I've gone off grain fed beef as I prefer the flavour of grass and pasture fed beef. For me Cape Grim stands out as a leader in Australia. I've been meaning to call a local wholesaler to see if I can buy some bulk scotch filet, brisket and short ribs to split between me and my friends.

My local butchers don't stock this and can't get it from their suppliers

1 hour ago, joolbag said:

For me Cape Grim stands out as a leader in Australia. I've been meaning to call a local wholesaler to see if I can buy some bulk scotch filet, brisket and short ribs to split between me and my friends.

I agree with Cape Grim being great quality and a good price too. I am not a fan of freezing meat so a bulk buy wouldn’t help me. Also I have no friends to share the bulk buy with anyway...................

Just went to buy vegetables for the casserole I'm cooking today. Went to my local Harris Farm. Well have they been reading my.mind or this forum! Cape Grim Brisket $14.99/kg. I will ask when it is.quiet if they will order in special packs for me. Beef ribs, scotch roll, etc.

I don't mind freezing. Yes it is better if it is fresh, but for convenience and price esp with a young family, I just vac seal and freeze. Defrost fairly well.

AFB5D998-2253-44C2-8987-F2B31FEA0F01.jpeg

• Like 3

Sunday Roast is in. I just picked up a 5KG Rib Eye Roast (expensive as, $50 ouch, but will feed a few so all good) and have just popped it on, thinking about 5 hours @ 225F. Missus is going to do twice baked spuds.

JOOLBAGIm jealous, we don't get anything like that around my way, I usually take the portable fridge when we go to the Big Smoke and fill it up with the good stuff. 

HillTop Hops: Love that Oven you have got, seems very versatile. How Tender did the Ribs come out, wow. Nice Colour and Bark too. What Temp are you running in the oven when Roasting?

IMG_6583.JPG

IMG_6585.JPG

• Like 1

Just now, Otto Von Blotto said:

Where would one pick up those meat thermometers? I think it's about time I got one that can be left in the whole time instead of opening the lid after X hours to check it with my current one. Unfortunately its probe fits through the grommets but the handle is far too big.

Inkbird sell them. 

Hey Otto,

ive got an igrill 2 with three probes, two for meat, one for ambient smoker temp. You can hook phone up, gives awesome visibility with temp graphs. 

Never need to lift the lid.

i installed one of these below into the smoker so it seals nice with the wires, called a probe port. At BBQ shop they want $70,  below $1.94. Easy to install with step drill.

https://www.ajlienterprise.com.au/premium-metal-cable-glands-high-temp-w-locknuts/

How to install port probe.

Edited by Beers Gone Wild
Video added

7 hours ago, Beers Gone Wild said:

just picked up a 5KG Rib Eye Roast (expensive as, $50 ouch

$10 a kilo for Rib eye roast?!?! That's not ouch for me. That would be a steal. I don't even get brisket or silverside for biltong that cheap 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beers Gone Wild said:

joolbag:  for some reason I seemed a lot when I pulled the $50 out of my wallet 🙂 

Spudley that’s a nice looking brisket, what temp do you cook your briskets at?

Sunday roast turned out good, cooked to medium - 62c internal. 5 1/2 hours. 

BFA0D6C8-B0CE-4DD8-AC09-54F525E9ECF5.jpeg

The GasMate doesn’t go much over 200 degrees Brisket cooked to internal 195 degrees, Well done, covered wraped at about 180 👍🍺🍻

36D5D636-9386-4B1F-AD73-5BD2308D87C3.jpeg

Which are all meat too 😜

Bacon is probably my favourite food too, even better when I make it myself at home. I don't like bought stuff anymore unless I get it from the butcher. The packaged stuff has a weird salty flavour that isn't in my own ones or the butcher one. Obviously they're salty but they don't taste "processed" for want of a better term. 

Otto: Have you got a picture of the pork belly you are getting to make the bacon so I can compare?

All the ones I look at here have hardly any meat and are pretty much all fat, I am hanging out to make my own.

Spudley - Damn that come up good. I love brisket cooked like that, I reckon it needs to be well done. You see pictures of Roasts and they are still raw inside, we dont like them like that, dont seem to get the flavour. I try to aim for medium in most large cuts.

• Thanks 1