Coopers Community

What's in your BBQ 2019?

Beerlust

Beer Baron, that cheek looks very lonely, where its mates? 😯

Just a heads up, with your spit, if you want to save a heap on charcoal and beads its worth adding a simple shield on one side, all the Pro Versions use them, you would be surprised how much heat is lost on the sides. On windy days I run a shield on each side.

I added this shield to ours years ago and it makes a"huge" difference. A bit of 1mm Sheet bent to fit. Mine has definitely seen better days, but works awesome.

IMG_6780.JPG

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Beers Gone Wild said:

Beer Baron, that cheek looks very lonely, where its mates

Just one for me and the missus didn’t want hers smoked. I could eat about 27 of them but I’m just trying to watch my waistline a bit

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Beer Baron said:

Just one for me and the missus didn’t want hers smoked. I could eat about 27 of them but I’m just trying to watch my waistline a bit

Yeah I'm watching my waistline too....

....Watching it grow!! 😦

Regardless of how I might diet at times & watch what I eat, I swear it's like it's own person sometimes! 😆

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Haha 3

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 1:36 PM, Ben 10 said:

PLEASE do some reading and self educating. While it is easy it can also be lethal. I inoculate mine with bacteria to ferment the meat this lowers the pH significantly and is imo the safest way to do it.

Benny what temp do you ferment the meat at?

And where do you procure the inoculant from?

And do you inoculate and ferment those you intend to smoke?

Bacon going in tomorrow to be smoked. I will take it out of the brine tonight, rinse off with water, pat dry then leave it uncovered in the fridge until tomorrow when I fire up the smoker. Looking forward to having good bacon again. The last lot went off but I think some crap got into it in the fridge. They usually last longer than a month or so. 

• Like 2

Just threw this lot together, into the smoker they go 👍🍺🍻

KIELBASA SMOKED Cheese SAUSAGE

Mix together until dissolved:

2 cups cold water

1 tsp instacure #1

7 tsp kosher salt

Sausage Mixture

Mix together by hand:

2 KG ground pork shoulder

500GM ground 80/20 chuck

Once mixed add:

1 tbs sugar

1 tbs garlic powder

1 tbs ground black pepper

1/2 tbs onion powder

2 1/2 tsp mustard powder

1/2 cup bread crumbs 

Smoke to 150 degrees

Immerse in cool water to stop cooking process

498AA0B4-5234-466C-B2A4-86AEB1E7B149.jpeg

• Like 5

Ok so , I'm going to be making some "Canadian" bacon over the next week. I just want to confirm a couple of things

Ill be brining for 9 days, a 2kg loin. 

Brine will be:

4 litres of water

350g salt

225g sugar/dextrose?

42g pink salt

bunch of sage

bunch of thyme

couple of garlic cloves

Boil then chill the brine, place the loin in, weight it down, (recipe says 48 hrs in brine) but will have to be 9 days due to FIFO.

Take out the brine, dry and place in fridge for 24 hrs then hot smoke.

My question is that @Otto Von Blotto I understand you brine and brine for a week or so depending on size. 9 days be ok for a 2kg loin? Seen as the recipe says 48 hrs.

Also, I got some dextrose, whats the weight ratios for Dex/Sugar? As in is it something like 1.2kg Dex equals 1kg sugar?

Yeah I leave mine in for at least a week. For 2kg I'd probably go about 11-12 days; the one I just did was almost 2kg and is a little underdone in the middle of the meat. I think it was in the brine for 9-10 days. I'm not sure how they're getting it done in two days unless they're injecting the meat with some of it. 

I'd use sugar rather than dextrose. Its purpose is to neutralize the saltiness a bit, and dextrose is less sweet so might not quite have the same effect. 

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Went to the local butcher today, picked up some loin, he deboned it it for me and cut a section off. Was aiming for 2kg, come in at 2.3kg. 

Its free range pork from a local place, so should taste magnificent. 

Just waiting on the brine to cool down before adding the loin. 

When he cut it off the belly, I was thinking, I really should do a full bacon with the loin and belly. Just need a bigger smoker for that. 

• Like 1

Hi guys.

I've got a good thing going with my local butcher atm. A great bloke as is his father that preps & ties up some of the more intricate stuff I ask for. We have an emerging barter system developing. I provide him with a reasonably hard to get beer by the carton at a good price, & in-turn he provides me with awesome cuts of meat for smoking/roasting etc.

Anyways, I spoke with him earlier in the week about a good piece of beef for roasting/smoking about 3kgs. He tells me he's got some reasonable Wagyu class beef at a good price & would I be interested. I said, "Yeah, but I'm not a millionaire & that stuff ain't cheap for a bloke on my wage, especially at 3kgs worth!". He says, "Don't worry, I'll look after ya, cya Friday". I said, "Okay, cya Friday".

Friday comes, & I take his carton around to him in the shop & he brings out this bagged piece of meat he's put aside for me with a price marked on it. He then tells me it's just over 4kgs & if he'd cut it, it would have ruined it. He shows me the cut, & although not in anyway high grade Wagyu it resembles high grade Scotch fillet/lowish grade Wagyu due to the marbling level.

I hand him the receipt for the carton of beer, he knocks $8.00 off the price he had written the on bag of the 4kg hunk of top grade meat to match the carton price. What more can you ask for from a butcher? 👍

I have a lot of man-love for this bloke right now, & feel like I'm being spoiled rotten pretty much everytime I visit him. 😎

Anyone got any ideas on how to smoke/roast a top notch 4kg piece of meat? I'm thinking real simple to enjoy the flavour of the high quality meat, but am open to ideas.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 5

On 6/15/2019 at 7:13 PM, Beerlust said:

Anyone got any ideas on how to smoke/roast a top notch 4kg piece of meat? I'm thinking real simple to enjoy the flavour of the high quality meat, but am open to ideas.

Cheers,

Lusty.

May be simple rub consisting of Salt, Pepper, Garlic, bit of Papprica so not to influence the cut too much, Smoke for a couple, wrap in foil with sauce of your own preference for aa couple ,finish with spritz Lemon and honey until done, 

Good luck with it mate and wish I had a butcher like yours 👍🍺

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Spudley said:

May be simple rub consisting of Salt, Pepper, Garlic, bit of Papprica so not to influence the cut too much, Smoke for a couple, wrap in foil with sauce of your own preference for aa couple ,finish with spritz Lemon and honey until done, 

Rare for me, but as you suggested, was thinking about keeping it really simple. Salt, pepper, & maybe a light sprinkle of thyme &/or oregano, & stuff a few garlic cloves inside the meat at a few strategic points. Just try to produce something where you can enjoy the flavour of the meat without too much influence.

9 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

smoked topside works. Low and slow cos you want to melt the fat with wagyu

Would you use a flavoured wood chip, or leave them out for this?

Are you suggesting I try for that 91-96°C final internal temp with this one Ben?

Thanks gents,

Lusty.