Coopers Community

Bottle wash question

ekymetal13

Hi all

I always wash my bottles just prior to bottling my brew.

As time is psycho this time of year, I intend to wash my bottles tonight.

And bottle my brew tomorrow morning.

I have a bottle tree and will leave them on this till tomorrow.

Do you think this would be ok ?

Interested to see what you all think and what your process is.

Cheers 

Scott 

This should be fine, just hit them with sanitiser before you bottle.

My process is, rinse the bottle as soon as I pour, then put in some sodium perc and warm water, let sit for a day or so, empty, rinse, dry - and then sanitise when its bottling time.

Thanks 🍺

I have rinsed them all after drinking, then stored them in a closed box.

I was going to sanitise them all tonight, ready for bottling tomorrow morning.

So some sanitiser in a spray bottle and just give em a spay prior to bottling?

Cheers 

I wash with warm water as I open, hang on bottle tree for a week or two, and sometimes store in boxes in between filling.  Bottling day, just sanitise with a vinator. 

If using a spray bottle you just need to get enough fluid in to coat the inside surface.  Enough squirts to get enough liquid in to shake it around to coat the inside surface would do it.

Cheers Shamus

I bought a vinator for sanitising bottles also, locates on the top of the bottle tree.

Money well spent, makes, the job just a bit more easy especially if you do 60 plus 330ml bottles at a time.

I leave them on the tree to drain over night and bottle next morning.

Works well.

On 12/7/2018 at 1:37 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

I wash with warm water as I open, hang on bottle tree for a week or two, and sometimes store in boxes in between filling.  Bottling day, just sanitise with a vinator. 

If using a spray bottle you just need to get enough fluid in to coat the inside surface.  Enough squirts to get enough liquid in to shake it around to coat the inside surface would do it.

Cheers Shamus

I take the squirter out of the bottle and tip enough Starsan (recently changed to) into the bottle to swirl around to coat the inside sufficiently.

If you shake Starsan you get a bottle full of suds. 😑

At least 3x rinse out with lots of shaking with tap water immediately after pouring. Drain upside down. Store upside down so dust doesn't fall in. Then into a big pot of boiling water for at least 5 minutes just before bottling. I have only bottled two batches with this approach so far, so I can't claim this is infallible. 

I rinse thoroughly after pouring, stand upside down until they're needed.

I rinse them again n wipe with a new chux cloth to get any dust off, then use a small funnel to pour enough starsan in each bottle, swirl around to completely cover the inside, tip back into the next bottle, then dip the neck in a bowl of starsan n stand upside down on a rack ready to be filled and capped. 

Can be a bit time consuming but it works as I'm pretty thorough. I've dropped a few hints for a vinator for Xmas to speed things up, fingers crossed. But I've bottled about 12 batches this way n had no dramas.

Archived