Coopers Community

Ever get stuck in "lager mode"?

13 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Sounds like a barleywinelager captain! 

Soft water can smooth things out as well. The pilsners I brew are bittered to about 43-45 IBU but they don't taste like it. Very balanced and smooth. The yeast would have some influence of course, but in that style at least it's the water that has the majority of the smoothing effect.

Going to Dan's tomorrow, hopefully they have a carton of Urquell, I haven't had that beer for a while.

Yeah very similar to a barleywine Otto.

I was thinking the same thing about the water, probably get a load of rainwater for that one, filtered and sterilised of course. 

For the darker malts I’d probably cold steep too to keep that harshness out of it. 

Anyway it’s only a thought at the moment 

captain

Edited by The Captain1525230099

• 2 years later...
58 minutes ago, King Ruddager said:

Three batches in now, and room for one more. I’ve made a Pilsner, an American Lager (don’t ask) and an Oktoberfest.

I really wouldn't let it be a bother. For my tastes there really is no better beer that a well made Pilsner.  I have been making all manner of beers lately but made a Pilsner a couple of weeks ago and thought, why bother with the other stuff this is brilliant. Pilsner is beer at its finest a great balance of grain and hop. 

Edited by MartyG1525230263

Fridge space isn't an issue when you ferment under pressure. It is possible to ferment under pressure and bottle.  Just open the spunding valve up wide during the D-rest and let all of the pressure come out of the the keg / Fermentasaurus. But if you are bottling, you still have to lager the bottles at cold temps after carbonation.

Cheers,

Christina.

Edited by ChristinaS1

The fresh draught from the spreadsheet with an extra dry hop has turned out really nice. I'll have to make more for summer for sure.

I'm on my second batch of Mister Sinister/ Southwark Old Stout, that's done with a lager yeast....give that a whirl

2 hours ago, King Ruddager said:

Bugger it I'll make a Smash. Vienna, Ella and w34/70

Just love Vienna a truly underrated malt.   I did a Vienna lager not so long ago bittered with Northern brewer 21 IBU and 15g of Motueka and 50g Saaz at 15 minutes and it was a treat to drink.  W34/70 @ 15psi and 24c.   

10 minutes ago, King Ruddager said:

Maybe next year I should think ahead and explore bocks or something. I just hope that future me remembers to dig up this thread again and reads this before the end of the season.

Yeah but have you tried making a Larger?

• Haha 1