Coopers Community

Ever get stuck in "lager mode"?

I do. I'm in it right now, on my third lager in a row.

It happens to me because I have one fridge that can fit two fermenters, so while you've got one in there at lager temps you might as well do that other lager you were kinda thinking about, right? Then of course they all take so long to ferment so it starts to feel like forever between brew days.

Sigh. Darned first world problems! ?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

Just another reason lagers suck ha ha ha 

Think I’m starting to be a little on lagers like Lusty is on Magnum. 

Captain

Do you mean that you secretly love lagers?

• Haha 1

Only if I did a really good one. I think I'm with the Captain on this one though. My last Lager sucked and is filed in a category that has only 7 brews in it.

I'd like to try again, but the time factor vs reward ?

19 minutes ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

A lot easy to cold crash though. Turn the power off and walk away. 

That's the thing about Tasmania & Canberra, there is no temp-controlled cold crash at this time of year, they just throw the FV on the back lawn for that. ?

Cheers,

Lusty.

Edited by Beerlust

From May to September here in Canberra ... Gotta love brewing with the seasons plus a little help from my Cool Brewing Bag!

They're are so many different lagers to brew... And plenty of new ones to invent.

Lusty only the brave would leave a fermenter outside here... Unless you want Eisbock. 

Cheers, 

John

Edited by porschemad911

17 minutes ago, PB2 said:

Lager ferments with a difference:

Mister Sinister

Tsar's Tar

Interesting.

Both being stout type brews with elevated (typical) lager ferment temps using lager yeast strains. The only beer I've made using W34/70 @ ale temps was the DIY steam beer recipe that turned out very well.

With added roasty malt flavours, it does make you think of how less of an impact on malt flavours these types of lager strains would have at elevated ferment temperatures.

I'm yet to ferment a dark brew using a lager strain, so I do find this interesting.

Cheers,

Lusty.

6 minutes ago, porschemad911 said:

...Lusty only the brave would leave a fermenter outside here... Unless you want Eisbock. 

Any Australian over 40 knows the "iceblock" was invented & created in Canberra, Australia.

Europe just took away a syllable in an attempt to create a market in the freezing cold place they live in. Luckily for the Canberrian economy the rest of Australia embraced it. ?

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 1

If brewed well and with a decent recipe, lagers are very nice beers. I think the keys to a great lager are a large yeast pitch, stable and suitable ferment temp (aside from a diacetyl rest if one is used), and a long period cold stored. That period really smooths them out and gets them at their best. I have tapped the odd keg almost straight away and noticed significant improvement as the weeks went by.

Another thing I'm gonna try on the next one that can lager in the keg is to do a slower ramp down after the diacetyl rest. Drop from 18 to 10, then 2 degrees per day to 4°C and condition it there in the fermenter before it goes into the keg and is chilled further. Will be interesting to see if it makes any difference to my current procedure.

Cheers

Kelsey

On 6/13/2018 at 9:26 PM, PB2 said:

Tsar's Tar

Woah, an OG of 1.065 with only 20 IBUs?

On 6/13/2018 at 9:50 PM, Beerlust said:

I'm yet to ferment a dark brew using a lager strain, so I do find this interesting.

Why not make BrewDog's "Zeitgeist" dark lager. I did and it was awesome. All grain recipe can be found in DIY Dog ?

5 hours ago, King Ruddager said:

Woah, an OG of 1.065 with only 20 IBUs?

Why not make BrewDog's "Zeitgeist" dark lager. I did and it was awesome. All grain recipe can be found in DIY Dog ?

If I was ever going to bother with doing a lager I would have to say that I’d do a dark lager. Something large, smooth and deathly hopped.

37 minutes ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

If I was ever going to bother with doing a lager I would have to say that I’d do a dark lager. Something large, smooth and deathly hopped.

There's other flavours you can create. Remember a lager yeast strain is just that. It doesn't forbid you from using a specific malt grist or hopping schedule. The key is knowing how the yeast will impact on those areas you have setup. I'm in this space right now with a 3rd generation brew I'm trying to develop using a lager strain to ferment it, & I have to admit once I've honed it, it will shit all over any ale yeast fermented brew (in the same space) that I've ever done.

Just my 2 cents.

Lusty.

4 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

There's other flavours you can create. Remember a lager yeast strain is just that. It doesn't forbid you from using a specific malt grist or hopping schedule. The key is knowing how the yeast will impact on those areas you have setup. I'm in this space right now with a 3rd generation brew I'm trying to develop using a lager strain to ferment it, & I have to admit once I've honed it, it will shit all over any ale yeast fermented brew (in the same space) that I've ever done.

Just my 2 cents.

Lusty.

Yep completely understand that bud.

I have been trying to source lagers lately to try to get me to the space of enjoying them. Ive only found a couple that have intrigued me. So at the moment it’s time over pleasure. Ales are winning hands down, but that’s just due to me not being able to find anything that is inspirational. 

Like I said if I was to do a lager and put the time and effort in I would go all in.

Big (around 12%), heaps of unfermentables in there for smoothness, I would also hop the bejesus out of it and barrel age it for at least 8-12 months. 

I would then complete another brew the same and blend at time of packaging at different ratios. Some fresh for “easy drinking” some old and gnarly. 

I look forward to hearing how your enterprise lager goes Lusty as it sounds like you’ve put a lot of time and thought into that brew so I really hope it works out for ya. 

Captain

16 minutes ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

...I look forward to hearing how your enterprise lager goes Lusty as it sounds like you’ve put a lot of time and thought into that brew so I really hope it works out for ya. 

Lager strains are more malt friendly. I admit I'm still learning a little with adapting my hoppy ale based brews to using a lager strain for what I've wanted as an end result. My latest attempt is looking very promising provided I can get the buggar to ferment out to expected levels. Current SG samples have smelled & tasted very promising.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 1

I bottle up my Mosaic Rye lager tonight. The lager yeast really brings out the different flavours in the malt base and softens the hops. Something different that looks like it will be really nice. 

I'll see how the harvested yeast goes in a 1.075 OG, 100+ IBU Double IPL crammed full of Centennial next! Nope, lagers definitely don't have to be boring.

Cheers, 

John

• Like 1

Sounds like a barleywinelager captain! 

Soft water can smooth things out as well. The pilsners I brew are bittered to about 43-45 IBU but they don't taste like it. Very balanced and smooth. The yeast would have some influence of course, but in that style at least it's the water that has the majority of the smoothing effect.

Going to Dan's tomorrow, hopefully they have a carton of Urquell, I haven't had that beer for a while.

I quite enjoy making lagers - I was originally scared off by the concern they're easy to screw up, but all the ones I've done have been quite enjoyable. First was a simple aussie lager for the other half - just por bittering, into the cube and then fermented in the cube in the brew fridge. I then did a couple of Pilsners, my fave being the last with a blend of saaz and styrian goldings (by mistake as I ran out of saaz). I've currently got a Zeitgeist and a dunkel on tap and they're both quite lovely but very different to each other.