Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2018

Otto Von Blotto

My current Bravo/Citra Pale Ale looks to have bottomed out, & in very quick time. Good ol' reliable US-05. ?

SG is currently 1.012 & the krausen has dropped. So I hurled the Chinook/Mosaic/Nelson Sauvin dry hop in earlier this morning. I'll likely pull that out & squeeze the absorbed beer back into the fermenter on Thursday. Crash chill for 2-3 days, then possibly keg on the Sunday.

The hydro sample tasted good & hopefully the dry hop mix adds a nice aromatic to the beer.

Good times ahead.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oven fixed ? and it works... deciding to splash out get a Gutten 40l kettle, converting my existing kettle to electric is going to cost more then just picking up that kit. ?

Open to suggestions, what I have:

• 40lt 304 stainless steel stock pot
    • Bulkhead and ball valve
  • 40lt hex cooler (mash tun)
    • Bulkhead and ball valve
    • False bottom
  • Sparge arm
  • Immersion coil with pump (not a march or food safe, ceramic axle)
  • BIAB bag for the cooler
  • Hop bag for kettle

Tristan

21 minutes ago, Hairy said:

All good, I was just winding you up.

Yeah........... I know mate. I was just trying to deadpan ya to wind you up. Ha ha ha. I think I won that one ha ha ha ha

Hows ya US trip going? Stopping at many breweries/tap houses?

just so you know, not one person has tried to wind up Lusty about magnum since you left Aus. 

Checked my Diablo IPA which I tweaked a bit with some LDM and made to 10L. Boiled the LDM and added some Citra and Cascade and pitched a US-05 slurry. Its coming along nicely, Iv only tried the Bewitched Amber Ale from the Mr.Beer but have heard good things about this kit. Additionally added the dry hop to my Toucan Cerveza and had a taste test of this brew and the flavours I was hoping for have come across which I'm happy with. Should be a cracker of a beer.

Chucked down a all grain and a kit yesterday. Hit all my numbers and samples tasted great, so happy all round.

IPA
3.5kg Coopers ale malt

1.5kg Red X

400g Accidulated malt

400g Flaked oats

400g Pale wheat

300g Medium crystal

3g Topaz @ 60

25g Amarillo @ 10

25g Centennial @ 10

25g Citra @ 10

25g Amarillo @ 10 85c

25g Centennial @ 10 85c

25g Citra @ 10 85c

25g Amarillo @ dry

25g Centennial @ dry

25g Citra @ dry

US05 rehydrated

26lt
OG 1.052

Coopers innkeepers daughters

800g dme

300g Flaked oats

300g Medium crystal

300g Pale wheat

300g Dextrose

100g Maltodextrin

30g Cascade @ 10

30g Citra @ 10

30g Cascade @ 5

30g Citra @ 5

30g Cascade @ Dry

30g Citra @ Dry

US05

26lt

OG 1.050

Cheers,
Hoppy

Punk IPA hit FG of spot on 1.010 as estimated. 

Turned down to 14c and Put the 160g dry hop in.

Sample tasted great, good flavour and bitterness. Looking forward to this one. 

I put this down as a bit of a test on my process and recipe adjustments for my brew set up. I’m also going to do a side by side of the commercial can once it’s ready to go. 

I've just removed the dry hops from my current brew & squeezed the absorbed liquid back into the brew. It's now in cold crash mode in preparation for kegging on Sunday.

I haven't used Mosaic with other hops in a dry hop scenario before (from memory) & there is certainly a bit a of an aromatic brawl going on for supremacy with this Chinook/Mosaic/Nelson Sauvin mix. I'm looking forward to seeing if it fits well with the predominantly citrus boil based flavours created from Citra & Bravo.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

Air. In both fermenters.

I'll be boiling up a yeast starter tomorrow in preparation for pitching it into a brew on Wednesday, so it can sit at 18 degrees while we're away in Mexico (Victoria) for a few days and I'll bump it up to 21 when we get back. That brew will be the Motueka Pale Ale, and pitching it then should see it in the keg just before we move out of here and that will be the end of brewing in this house, but will give me one full keg ready to go once we're set up over there.

I have this arvo off, originally it was meant to be for an appointment for loan pre-approval, but since that horse has well and truly bolted I now have a bit of free time so I'll use it to finish the urn cleaning for one last brew day tomorrow, to use up the Hallertau Mitt and Saaz I have left over. Then that lager will sit in the cube until I can set up the brew fridge etc. in the new place, which saves doing a brew day straight up. Next thing on the list is another fridge and controller for the second fermenter so I can double my production, which will help avoid having to buy beer but also allow kegs to be aged a bit more before being tapped.

Cheers

Kelsey

PA & IPA both been in FV 7 days. Dry hopped both with 50g centenial 3 days ago commando. Now on cold crash as i want this hop matter to drop out. Should be ready to keg mid week. Problem is i only have 1 empty keg plus 1 holding a porter that i think is sour. Just going to give the porter a try now see if flavour has improved.

Archived