Coopers Community

Whats your favourite budget beer? (Non homebrew)

DylanL7

I got myself a Dan Murphys member card a while back. Every month they have different member deals on a range of booze, but the one I always go for is the 6 pack for $10. They usually have 2 on offer each month.

Some months are better than others but some absolute winners I've grabbed include Samuel Adams Boston lager (fantastic beer), James squires hop thief (I find most squires beers underwhelming but the hop thief is very nice) and gage roads atomic pale ale (quite good).

They limit you to about 3 of the 6 packs per purchase, but at $10 a 6 pack I went back for the Sam Adams and hop thief a number of times. At the moment I think the current deals include a 10 pack of the cricketers arms spearhead pale ale for $18, that's a good beer and a good price.

I'm not spruiking dan murphys (in many ways they had the same effect on local bottlos as Bunnings had on local hardware stores) but the members card costs you nothing and gets you good deals.

Before that deal came along, or whenever the beer on offer isn't that good (eg. XXXX pale ale, why?) most bottlos seem to do 3 x coops pale ale long necks for a good price. A good beer, a good price, I always use the bottles and i can culture the yeast (when I can be bothered, I'm so lazy).

Hooray for beer.

I got myself a Dan Murphys member card a while back. Every month they have different member deals on a range of booze' date=' but the one I always go for is the 6 pack for $10. They usually have 2 on offer each month.

Some months are better than others but some absolute winners I've grabbed include Samuel Adams Boston lager (fantastic beer), James squires hop thief (I find most squires beers underwhelming but the hop thief is very nice) and gage roads atomic pale ale (quite good).

They limit you to about 3 of the 6 packs per purchase, but at $10 a 6 pack I went back for the Sam Adams and hop thief a number of times. At the moment I think the current deals include a 10 pack of the cricketers arms spearhead pale ale for $18, that's a good beer and a good price.

I'm not spruiking dan murphys (in many ways they had the same effect on local bottlos as Bunnings had on local hardware stores) but the members card costs you nothing and gets you good deals.

Before that deal came along, or whenever the beer on offer isn't that good (eg. XXXX pale ale, why?) most bottlos seem to do 3 x coops pale ale long necks for a good price. A good beer, a good price, I always use the bottles and i can culture the yeast (when I can be bothered, I'm so lazy).

Hooray for beer.[/quote']

I was doing the same thing. Some months are a bit average but sometimes you get some great deals.

I was in a supermarket in San Francisco a few days ago and they were selling 12 packs of Sierra Navada Pale Ale for $12.99. The price of beer in Australia is a little depressing. Luckily we brew our own wink

12 Sierra Nevadans for $12.99... Sigh.

I had similar experiences when living in the UK and Europe a decade ago, so many great beers for such a low price, especially when you're earning the pound. Even our nz cousins price beer more sensibly.

Here in oz you usually only get the savings by buying booze in bulk, which encourages drinking in bulk. You might only want a 6 pack for that BBQ you're going to, but when it's $20 for 6 vs $50 for 24 you get the slab, and then you drink it. It isn't healthy and is probably contributing to many drinking related problems. Legislation/taxation needs to seriously look at this.

For us homebrewers I'd suggest the whole process provides an insight into our own drinking habits, and a level of control based on the end product we're trying to create. It's more the trial and error of creating great beers rather brewing heaps of basic booze to get hammered on every day.

Should I get off my high horse yet?

For us homebrewers I'd suggest the whole process provides an insight into our own drinking habits' date=' and a level of control based on the end product we're trying to create. It's more the trial and error of creating great beers rather brewing heaps of basic booze to get hammered on every day.[/quote']

Agreed, that's why I like doing my 10.5 litre batches. I get just over a case of stubbies from each batch, which is enough to get a good feel for how my recipe and process went, but not so much that I felt like I was drinking too much getting through it. Small batches aren't for everyone of course, but my wife and I enjoy drinking wine as well which impacts how much beer I feel I can healthily consume. I do run out from time to time, especially after sharing it around with friends, but that's ok ... then I grab some Coopers Pale Ale and reflect back on how lucky I was to be able to drink that through my teenage years in Adelaide happy

Cheers,

John

Another here for Oettinger. Great value, good beer...always get a comment from staff when purchasing a slab along the lines of "...that's not a bad beer for the price".

I have asked quite a few German colleagues if it is the Fosters of their country...as in nobody drinks it over there. They have all responded with pretty much the same answer that yes people drink it and yes it is a pretty good beer for the price.

Having said all that I subscribe to the philosophy of "there is no such thing as a bad beer, just some are better than others". If given a choice I am picky but if no options are available I'll drink anything placed in front of me.

Having said all that I subscribe to the philosophy of "there is no such thing as a bad beer' date=' just some are better than others". If given a choice I am picky but if no options are available I'll drink anything placed in front of me.[/quote']

Bartender, an experiment if you will.

Can you please hand this gentleman a less than icy cold pint of VB! tonguesick

lol

Cheers,

Lusty.

Having said all that I subscribe to the philosophy of "there is no such thing as a bad beer' date=' just some are better than others". If given a choice I am picky but if no options are available I'll drink anything placed in front of me.[/quote']

lol

Cheers,

Lusty.

Or a can of Kimberley cool West End. sicklol

Fat Yak $45 carton with a Shopper Docket at BWS surprised

In reference to another thread, I reckon I can brew and keg a better beer than the Yak, but bottles that's another matter. It is good to have some cool six packs ready to go.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

lol

Cheers,

Lusty.

Hey man, I keep it real! I still order the odd pint of CUB from time to time!

lol

Cheers,

Lusty.

Hey man, I keep it real! I still order the odd pint of CUB from time to time!

I got myself a Dan Murphys member card a while back. Every month they have different member deals on a range of booze' date=' but the one I always go for is the 6 pack for $10. They usually have 2 on offer each month.

Hooray for beer.[/quote']

I have one of those uncle dans cards too but I only really shop there for the Coopers kits now as they are the cheapest for those around here.

OT my go to beer is Coopers sparkling ale long necks when I need beer and bottles and I always need to get uncle dan to price match 1stChoice liquor contrary to their advertisement on TV where they say they get up early and go through the catalogues to ensure they have the cheapest price. boozle.com.au FTW

Also the last time I went to get some Coopers beer from there to harvest the yeast from, they had the cartons stacked on the coolroom racks sideways WTF uncle dan! pinched

Hey man' date=' I keep it real! I still order the odd pint of CUB from time to time! [/quote']

G'day Goodtime G, keeping it real or flying home to mummy, I'm not sure but is that a pint in Victoria (570 mls) or home of the crow eaters, South Australia and it's non imperial pint (425 mls). tongue.

Oh it doesn't matter they both watch "cross country handball" and call it footy. lolrolleyes

Oh listen to the real sing. w00t

Drink : Australian Beer Sizes

Cheers.

The best value good beer I have found is Adnams Ghost Ship pale ale.

$55 for 24 x 440ml cans at Dan's works out to be $5.20 a liter

VB by comparison is $5.33 a liter.

150 Lashes $6.28 a liter.

I just tried the Ghost Ship and was very impressed. And at that price for 24 x 440ml cans, thats great value.

The best value good beer I have found is Adnams Ghost Ship pale ale.

$55 for 24 x 440ml cans at Dan's works out to be $5.20 a liter

VB by comparison is $5.33 a liter.

150 Lashes $6.28 a liter.

I just tried the Ghost Ship and was very impressed. And at that price for 24 x 440ml cans' date=' thats great value. [/quote']

I have a visit back to North QLD coming up and am trying to get the old man to grab some cartons before I get there.

In the can it seem's you have a better chance of retaining the hops even with the beer coming from the UK.

MO/Rye/Crystal malts and Columbus/Centennial/Citra hops apparently according to the head brewer.

Oettinger or a similar German beer usually, Bitburger maybe or Lowenbrau. Beck's is sometimes cheap, which I love for a mainstream beer. Occasionally Stella too. Yum.

Sometimes I see Pilsner Urquel or Budvar cheaper than the standard Aussie stuff. But I've started checking the sell by date. Been caught out a couple of times with beers a bit too far from their prime.

All this talk has got me mouth watering....

Agree with Beeble. If budget is a constraint, I'd rather drink less than guzzle cheap lousy beer. For lagers, I rank James Boag Premium, Coopers Premium and Cascade Premium, as some of the best Aussie lagers. For wheat beer, i'd go for Franziskanner

Noticed my 'local' Dan's is now stocking Pilsner Urquell in actual cartons, rather than just six packs where you'd have to buy 4 of them to get the carton price. It normally goes around $52-$54 per carton although they are only 330mL bottles. Still, I don't mind getting one occasionally and it's a bloody nice beer for the price.

Noticed my 'local' Dan's is now stocking Pilsner Urquell in actual cartons' date=' rather than just six packs where you'd have to buy 4 of them to get the carton price. It normally goes around $52-$54 per carton although they are only 330mL bottles. Still, I don't mind getting one occasionally and it's a bloody nice beer for the price. [/quote']

Pilsner Urquell is the business I reckon - I struggle to buy any other similar beer and at that price it's a bargain I reckon. Budvar is pretty good too but I honestly don't think I could tell the difference between Heineken, Grolsh, Boags, Peroni, Stella, Carlsberg, Becks....... ok maybe Becks a bit but the rest all taste the same to me now.

Definitely. It is the beer I based my own pilsner recipe on, which always turns out nicely. I've noticed it's being bottled in brown bottles now instead of the green bottles, and the labels are different too. They look a bit more 'classic' styled. Peroni is one beer I can't stand, not much of a fan of Beck's anymore either. The others I would drink if there was no other choice, though.

Definitely. It is the beer I based my own pilsner recipe on' date=' which always turns out nicely. I've noticed it's being bottled in brown bottles now instead of the green bottles, and the labels are different too. They look a bit more 'classic' styled. Peroni is one beer I can't stand, not much of a fan of Beck's anymore either. The others I would drink if there was no other choice, though. [/quote']

Yeah, I liked the previous bottles/labels but as long as the beer is the same who cares I guess.

Think I offended a work colleague at recent work drinks when he offered me a Peroni and I told him that I'd rather suck the moisture out of my own poo!

Must try that recipe Kelsey - or at least even the Coopers version but given the longer recommended fermenting and conditioning times I reckon I'll wait till winter for next summer , as I don't drink it in winter

Archived