Coopers Community

Whats your favourite budget beer? (Non homebrew)

DylanL7

Just curious what great' date=' cheap beers are out there, my favourite cheap sessionable at the moment is oettinger, not to carbonated/bloating to have a few.[/quote']

I don't mind an Oettinger. There are some decent cheap German pilsners out there.

I don't mind the odd Tooheys Old either. It brings back memories of my younger days.

I haven't tried any of the Aldi beers yet (Hopper Whitman and the like). I may have to give them a go.

There's no such thing as a good cheap beer.

Beer is either cheap & crap' date=' expensive & crap, or quite expensive & good.

I haven't come across any exceptions yet, other than Coopers of course, which is really in the mid range price wise.[/quote']

So only the 'quite expensive' beers are good? I can't say I agree with you.

Just curious what great' date=' cheap beers are out there, my favourite cheap sessionable at the moment is oettinger, not to carbonated/bloating to have a few.[/quote']

I don't mind an Oettinger. There are some decent cheap German pilsners out there.

I don't mind the odd Tooheys Old either. It brings back memories of my younger days.

I haven't tried any of the Aldi beers yet (Hopper Whitman and the like). I may have to give them a go.

There's no such thing as a good cheap beer.

Beer is either cheap & crap' date=' expensive & crap, or quite expensive & good.

I haven't come across any exceptions yet, other than Coopers of course, which is really in the mid range price wise.[/quote']

So only the 'quite expensive' beers are good? I can't say I agree with you.

Rather than get into an argument or go into a rambling spiel, I think I'll just agree to disagree, other than to say some people's idea of cheap aren't the same as others.

If you set a price range rather than just saying cheap beer, you never know, you may find I agree with you.

Oettinger for sure - my local bottle-o often has the 6 pack of cans for $12 on special. Not great, but not bad either - especially at those bargain prices.

In my books there's no such thing as bad beer until you have options lol. I hate VB normally but when I'm out bush or on a fishing trip - nectar of the gods whistlingw00t

Oettinger for its price is actually not a bad beer - I'd rate it above any of the Australian megaswill offerings. And for $40ish for a carton of 500mL cans you're laughing. If I need a cheap quick fix solution then it is usually the one I go for. In fact a couple of months ago I bought 2 cartons of it and filled a keg with it to buy some extra time to fill the others with my home brews. lol

I prefer not to go back to the evil megaswill beer(s) I once consumed, & now look forward to the good quality beer I can make myself. The whole point of brewing my own was to save money, brew better flavoured beer, & minimize the need to buy commercial beer.

Due to kegging most of my beer these days, there are occasions where I go out to a BBQ or something & need to buy some beer. For me, 9 times out of 10 that is Coopers Pale Ale for me. Standard price at my bottleshop is $47.99 a carton ($5.33 a litre), & it's good beer!

Each to their own though. wink

Lusty.

Have to agree with a lot of you. Of course I have no idea how the pricing system works when transportation is thrown into the mix, but when in Brisvegas, Coopers Pale longnecks can usually be bought through the "big" bottleshops for $45 a carton, Sparkling Ale about $51. So they are the usual go-to buys.

About a third of the time, though, the dozen carton of 450 ml Groelsch swing-tops are handy for the bottles too, at around $41.

after 13 years living inAdelaide I'm i bit over coopers pale as it's all I drank when I lived there - coopers celebration ale at $18 a 6 pack is good

otherwise you can pick up very good beers at decent prices when on special - $50 slabs for Pilsner Urquell, Monteiths black beer and Doppel bock recently

Mountain Goat have just started a pale ale (bright blue label) - best pale ale I've had for a while and recently on special at Dans for $19:00 a 6 pack (can't get slabs of it yet)

Can be hit and miss ... the Nut Brown Ale was quite nice, but the pale ale was pretty ordinary. They do have good deals on imported and other Aussie beers quite often though. The Balmain Pilsner was really nice, and some of the German stuff they import is really tasty.

Oettinger ... In fact a couple of months ago I bought 2 cartons of it and filled a keg with it to buy some extra time to fill the others with my home brews. lol

Alright Kelsey' date=' which one of your pilsner pics was actually Oettinger? [img']bandit[/img] innocenttongue

My go-to for well-priced commercial beer is Coopers Pale Ale.

Quite happy to have been proven wrong on this thread.

That said, the better beers at reduced prices usually depends on the price cycle & whim of the retailers.

Often enough you can find a good beer at a reasonable price, but your favourite beer at $50 this week could be $60 or more next week.

It really comes down to hunting around in the bottle shop, rather than particular beers always being available at a budget price.

I always buy my beers off the floor rather than the cool room though, as they often have their cheaper or discounted beers in bulk on the floor, whereas the bulk of the rest is usually in the cool room.

I hate buying stuff from the cool room, as I usually take it home to sit at room temps if I don't have room in the fridge, & of course the cardboard often fails if it's been chilled then warmed up again, due to condensation.

This is a pain if you go to move the carton & it starts sagging, or worse, you may lose a bottle or more from a damaged box.

If I'm out of home brew, my usual standby is always Coopers Pale Ale, but if that's a bit exy, I'll go for whatever beer is a bit different to megaswill that's within my price range that day.

That, or I'll just buy a 6 pack, rather than a case of beer.

I don't buy cheap beer, it only ends in disappointment. Brew your own easy drinking beer and indulge in some of the craft stuff independent breweries have on offer.

Although if you can get a carton of Heineken for $38 you're doing alright - even if it is brewed locally these days.

Oettinger ... In fact a couple of months ago I bought 2 cartons of it and filled a keg with it to buy some extra time to fill the others with my home brews. lol

Alright Kelsey' date=' which one of your pilsner pics was actually Oettinger? [img']bandit[/img] innocenttongue

lollol

Kelsey was having a bit of trouble with his carbonation & pouring early on, & there was some Oettinger that ended up in one of his kegs around that time also. So maybe a pic slipped in by accident? unsuretongue

We'll just keep that our little secret though. winkwhistling

biggrin

Cheers,

Lusty.

I don't buy cheap beer' date=' it only ends in disappointment. Brew your own easy drinking beer and indulge in some of the craft stuff independent breweries have on offer.

.[/quote']

Absolutely

In the fridge at the moment I have:

A six pack of Cricketers Arms Spearhead Pale Ale

A six pack of Cricketers Arms Captain's IPA

Two stubbies of White Rabbit Belgian Pale Ale

Two stubbies of White Rabbit Dark Ale

Two stubbies of White Rabbit White Ale

One stubby of Little Creature IPA

Three Six Packs of Fat Yak

A six pack of Lazy Yak

A stubby of Van Diemen's Oatmeal stout

500ml bottle of Seven Sheds Stella IPA

Always buy from the cool room or the fridge and straight into the fridge when I get home. No premium in the bottle shop in Tassie for using Hydro Power to keep your beer cool.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

• 1 month later...

Oettinger 500mL cans are the go for me to.

12 litres for 40 bucks is great value, and reasonable quality considering.

Still waiting to bottle my maiden brew, so this page is very handy reading.

Having said that, my latest cheapies are actually quite nice. Uncle Dan is doing 10 packs of Cricketers Arms Spearhead Pale Ale cans for $18. Also just noticed that they have Gage Roads Atomic Pale Ale cartons for $47 at the moment, me like that drop love.

About a third of the time' date=' though, the dozen carton of 450 ml Grolsch swing-tops are handy for the bottles too, at around $41.[/quote']

my local uncle dans only do the 4 pack for $18 or thereabouts ...the bottles are great and for a clean lager i can murder after work it goes down very well .

i started out thinking 150 odd swing top bottles at last count would be more than enough , now i learned that maturing it gets so much better i'll end up needing every one of them and more , even the 3 X little 5 L plastic kegs i have will be full very shortly

the standard go to beer is always coopers pale ale , sparkling if i feel classy and SNPA if its pay day

G'day MM.

G'day Beer Drinkers' date=' I have not tried this beer,but would like feed back from those that may have? [img']smile[/img]

Henninger Premium Lager

have you tried it? What are you thoughts?

A typical clean European lager along similar lines to Heineken.

My father buys the longnecks of these from his local Liquourland bottleshop & seems to enjoy them.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Archived