Coopers Community

Coopers Light Dry Malt Extract Availability

Beerlust

I just wanted to say that it bothers me that I can't access this product as easily as I feel I should be able to. sad

I can understand many of the other higher level Coopers products being only made available through brewshops & certain retail outlets, but this particular product has always confused me as to why its access has not been pushed through the supermarket chains. unsure

You're losing a lot sales of this item Coopers given your current reluctance to make it more "mainstream" through the supermarket chains.

At 500gms, I really can't understand its obvious segregation from a market that would appreciate its improved availability.

Interested to hear from Coopers on this one.

Cheers,

Lusty.

I can understand many of the other higher level Coopers products being only made available through brewshops & certain retail outlets' date=' but this particular product has always confused me as to why its access has not been pushed through the supermarket chains. [img']unsure[/img]

You're losing a lot sales of this item Coopers given your current reluctance to make it more "mainstream" through the supermarket chains.

Our brewing sugar range includes:

Dextrose

Brewing Sugar

Brew Enhancer 1

Brew Enhancer 2

Light Dry Malt

The complete range is available to supermarkets and variety stores. Our National Sales Manager meets with them often but, as much as he would like to, he can't force them to stock our products...

The big chains don't seem to listen to their customers either but stores such as your local IGA can and do stock these products. They operate autonomously and listen to their customers so speak with the store manager. Also, next time you're in an Uncle Dan's store, ask if they stock our products. Not all of them do but we're working on it!

No offence to Coopers here as I know that the chains set their own prices but the price my local Big W charge for the Coopers 500g LDM just make it far too expensive at $8.

I can purchase 1 kg of LDM from the LHBS which is 500 metres from Big W for $10 and if I stock up on gear from Craftbrewer I can get it for $7.90 per kg.

Just my two cents.

My local Woolies is the same. Not that I actually need to buy that stuff anymore, except LDM for yeast starters but I go to the brew shop for it anyway, but I do have a look in the home brew section whenever I'm up there just to see what they are stocking. It's a pretty small offering, to say the least.

As Paul says though, they can't be forced to stock something.

Thanks for getting back to me on this one PB2. happy

I have 3 x Woolworths, a Coles, & a Drakes Foodland all within 10 minutes of where I live. Unfortunately, not one of them stocks the LDM. sad

There is a large IGA about another 5mins further away that I don't visit (for obvious reasons), but out of interest, I gave them a call. No luck there either. pouty

As an extract based brewer it'd be mighty handy to have access to this product, especially on weekends when quite a number of the LHBS's are either closed, or close earlier than I can visit them due to working similar retail hours. Sometimes there are situations where you might have underestimated on a recipe, or you have a change of heart about a recipe you have planned, or perhaps you hadn't intended to brew that weekend & changed your mind.

There is a BIG W not too far away that stocks the product. I bought one of the International series kits there & a box of LDM once. Standing in a semi-long queue in a department store holding a kit tin & a box of LDM waiting to be served surrounded by families with kids in prams holding baby clothes, linen, cosmetics, electrical items just felt uncomfortably weird. REALLY weird! alien

Cheers,

Lusty.

There is a BIG W not too far away that stocks the product. I bought one of the International series kits there & a box of LDM once. Standing in a semi-long queue in a department store holding a kit tin & a box of LDM waiting to be served surrounded by families with kids in prams holding baby clothes' date=' linen, cosmetics, electrical items just felt uncomfortably weird. REALLY weird! [img']alien[/img]

Sounds like you need to start using the DILLIGAF approach. tonguelol

No offence to Coopers here as I know that the chains set their own prices but the price my local Big W charge for the Coopers 500g LDM just make it far too expensive at $8.

I can purchase 1 kg of LDM from the LHBS which is 500 metres from Big W for $10 and if I stock up on gear from Craftbrewer I can get it for $7.90 per kg.

In defence of the Coopers product' date=' it is a quality spray dried malt extract. The dry extract available at most homebrew shops is a band dried extract. There is a quality difference between the two. As an example, one of the LHBS's I visit stocks both kinds. The spray dried extract sells for $3.00 more per kilo over the band dried version. [img']wink[/img]

Sounds like you need to start using the DILLIGAF approach. tonguelol

lol

If I decide to venture back to Big W for some LDM etc. I might have to work on a facial expression in the mirror first so that I can display it properly to the single mother & her 4 kids that are staring at me! tongue

From memory' date=' I think at one point while in the queue, I closed my eyes & imagined I was somewhere else! [img']biggrin[/img]

Cheers,

Lusty.

Lusty' date=' speak to the manager at Drakes and they'll get it in for you. The Drakes I shop at carries Light Dry Malt [img']biggrin[/img]

Actually, I was thinking I might just move suburbs. Which is the Drakes you frequent?

Fancy a new neighbour PB2? tonguebiggrin

In all seriousness, I'll have a chat with the manager there & see if they'll do it. From my own observations of the Coopers stock on the shelves there, it appears there is a reasonable number of kit brewers in the local area so he/she may be willing to at least trial the product. unsure

Fingers crossed.

Love the Drake wink

And I thought Magnaman was the only one around here with a duck fetish! whistling

Cheers' date='

Lusty.[/size']

G'day Sir Lusty, maybe you should stockup on Coopers Light Dry Malt when Coopers have their often generous free freight deals and with dispatch now in sunny Queensland you are assured of prompy delivery. happy

Quack. whistling

Also' date=' next time you're in an Uncle Dan's store, ask if they stock our products. Not all of them do but we're working on it![/quote']

Morning all - I actually posted awhile ago that my local Dan Murphy's has stopped stocking Home Brew products - it would be great if they had a change of heart!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Coopers.

Lusty' date=' speak to the manager at Drakes and they'll get it in for you. The Drakes I shop at carries Light Dry Malt [img']biggrin[/img]

I took Paul's advice & spoke with my local Foodland manager (a nice guy btw), who said he'd be willing to order the product in. happy

The manager mentioned their internal system is quite cumbersome & many of the items are in abbreviated form, thus hard to locate. He asked me if I could provide him with a clear copy of the barcode for the Coopers Light Dry Malt Extract....which I just realized will be arriving in the mail from my ROTM order either today or tomorrow! tongue

Well now that's taken care of, I'll let myself out... whistling

Cheers,

Lusty.

• 1 month later...

A week or so after my last post here, I dropped in an empty 500gm LDM box with barcode etc. to my local Foodland manager. As he previously stated, it did take a bit of time, but I'm happy to report the product is now on the shelves. happy

It's not cheap in comparison to the LDM I purchase from my preferred LHBS's, but it is a better quality product & at times convenient that it is now available just around the corner from where I live.

I duly purchased the first one off the shelf. wink

So as PB2 advised, don't be afraid to ask your local grocery store manager about getting it in.

Cheers,

Lusty.

$8 @ BigW is a big high. But thankfully I've found a local (east VIC) supermarket that stocks a range of coopers products with the LDME under $7 cool

What makes it better than the stuff @ the LHBS? Just curious.

It's a bit like a generic brand vs a name brand (well at least in some instances anyway). The process of making LDM has many steps and, like liquid malt extract, it's the process the maltster undertakes that make the difference. Some will attenuate better than others, some will use better quality ingredients. Consider, say, a Coles kit vs a Coopers kit beer. i know which one I'll use preferentially.

Then after the liquid malt has been made, the extract is then atomised in a high temp near-vacuum to dry it, and the Coopers one always seems to be a much finer product (both in quality and particle size) than the generic ones I've bought. Start with the best quality ingredients to get the best quality outcome.

Hi joules.

Antsi's correct about the quality difference.

I think you'll find that the Coopers dry malt extract is spray dried & of a finer & higher grade than the coarser band dried malt extract you'll find at your LHBS.

The following BYO article gives some particularly good information relating to your question.

BYO Magazine: Making Malt Extract.

The info mentioned under “Atmospheric Dryers” & “Vacuum Dryers” in particular relates to the difference in the production of these two grades of dried malt extract.

I hope that helps. wink

Cheers,

Lusty.

• 2 months later...
Also' date=' next time you're in an Uncle Dan's store, ask if they stock our products. Not all of them do but we're working on it![/quote']

Morning all - I actually posted awhile ago that my local Dan Murphy's has stopped stocking Home Brew products - it would be great if they had a change of heart!

Dan Murphys at Kawana (Sunshine Coast) stocks most of the Coopers stuff. Hope that helps anyone up this way.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
]I just called in to a Foodland on the way home (Marion Road)' date=' and they have the dry malt there, a long with everything in the basic range. Cans are the cheapest i've seen @ $11.64 each ($14.52 for the Pale Ale).

[img']http://i.imgur.com/HS17FIE.jpg[/img]

Foodland Mitchum has OS, Pale, BE1, BE2, Dex and LDM off the top of my head. They also have caps and carbonation drops. All at a sharp price too.

Looks much like your photo.

Archived