Coopers Community

Mid-Strength Nirvana

Beerlust

Hi guys.

I recently sampled a couple of beers from a very newly established commercial craft brewery here in South Australia, called "Pirate Life".

At this point in time, they offer 3 beers. I have sampled 2 of those & they are very well made beers (IMHO).

Cutting to the chase for this thread, the most interesting of those two beers to me that I sampled was the "Throwback IPA" @ 3.5% ABV. Creating a flavoursome beer @ this ABV% level is quite a task & as far as I'm concerned there are very few breweries that do it well, or create any lasting interest from their efforts.

At the top of the heap (IMHO) is Little Creatures 'Rogers', & not far behind, albeit being a different type of mid-strength, is Coopers 'Mild Ale' that I feel is very much underrated in this category.

(IMHO) Pirate Life's 'Throwback IPA' is closer to Coopers Mild Ale in flavour than Little Creatures 'Rogers'. What I do find very interesting in what has been disclosed about Pirate Life's mid-strength IPA is that the OG is apparently 1.040.

For those interested, a starting OG of 1.040 is not easily brewed down to a final 3.5% ABV.

So my question to those on the forum who like a challenge is, how would you go about creating a high quality 3.5% final ABV beer from a malt grist that made a 1.040 OG without it ending up the least bit sweet?

Given free license to create bold flavours @ any ABV% you want I reckon is easy. It's when you are restricted ABV%-wise do you really have to do some thinking. wink

I already have some ideas about how they do it, but would really enjoy hearing from those on the forum on how each would personally go about it. Figures to back your argument up here are almost a given.

I'll look forward to the discussion that follows.

Lusty.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mid-strength Nirvana? That would be Pearl Jam, wouldn't it? tongue

As for your post, it should be fairly easy. Mash high.

I have made two mid-strengths, both mashed at 69-70 degrees and both finished around 1020. One was more on the malty side and one more on the hoppy side but neither were sweet.

They were both sub 3% ABV (borderline light beer crying) and I found them both delicious love

Edit: My Dark Mild had an OG of 1042. I can't find the notes for the Dr Smurto's Amber Ale but the OG would have been similar.

Mid-strength Nirvana? That would be Pearl Jam' date=' wouldn't it? [img']tongue[/img]

lol I was thinking more along the lines of this:

20150126221358!Nirvana_mtv_unplugged_in_new_york.png

I actually have that DVD. cool

I'm not certain, but I think that was Kurt Cobain's last public performance. unsure I think about 3 months later, let's just say, he was no longer with us. sad

Anyways, back to brewing...

Not everyone has the ability to mash grain to produce a less fermentable wort. For extract & kit based brewers, using a greater percentage of specialty grains & a lower attenuating yeast can also help out in this area yes?

I'm eyeing off using some Wyeast 1332 for a brew like this with an increased percentage of CaraPils to achieve a similar outcome. Attenuation on that yeast is quite low (approx. 67-71%). Anyone used it before?

Cheers,

Lusty.

I have that album and quite like it cool Not really mid-strength but definitely not as hoppy.

I have used Wyeast 1332 in my first all grain American pale ale. It was a great yeast. I have read that it is a low attenuator but I didn't it find it that low. Definitely at the top end of the range you listed. But perhaps I mashed lower than I thought and had a more fermentable wort.

Lusty' date=' you need to try these beers.

Brew Dog - Dead Pony Pale Ale (IBU 40 / 3.8%)

https://www.brewdog.com/beer/headliners/dead-pony-pale-ale

Bridge Road Brewers - Little Bling Mid-strength IPA (3.4%)[/quote']

Yes, yes it sounds like I do! biggrin

I'll have to pop into Dan's & see if any of them are on the shelves.

"Dead Pony Pale Ale". What sort of miserable, cruel name for a beer is that??! sad

Thanks for the info on the 1332 Hairy. Even @ 71% attenuation it'll be better than the norm 75%+ yeasts for this type of brew I guess. Just considering what possibilities are open to me as an extract/partial brewer. innocent

Cheers,

Lusty.

Not everyone has the ability to mash grain to produce a less fermentable wort.

Yes they do.

A small esky or a power point is all you need. Make the leap to have ultimate control over what you are producing.

Or try S-04 yeast and have it stall at 1020.

Yes they do.

A small esky or a power point is all you need. Make the leap to have ultimate control over what you are producing.

Or even a slow cooker (they used to be called crock pots IIRC) connected to your temp controller. There's probably already one in the back of the kitchen cupboard that never gets opened.

Not everyone has the ability to mash grain to produce a less fermentable wort.

Yes they do.

Ability & equipment are not the same thing. wink

Lusty' date=' do a stove top BIAB. I support kits and extract brewing but sometimes you need more control over the fermentability of your wort. [/quote']

I agree with both Ben & yourself, & you make a good point Hairy. It's just a lot of faffing about that I'm not that interested in (TBQH). I'm happy I can mini-mash within a certain range that will guarantee me some good quality wort to combine with my extract & fresh hops/yeast etc. atm.

I've been chatting on another forum I frequent about beta-gluc steeping, & may actually make this a part of my mini-mash procedure in certain instances where authenticity of ingredients is required. Apart from that, I'm happy with the quality of beer I produce. It may be a level slightly under full AG produced beers, but I can live with that. happy

Pots & pans extract brewer is whatz I am, & thatz all that I am....

Someone hand me a tin of spinach! tongue

Cheers,

Lusty.

Anyone who thinks mashing grains is difficult is kidding themselves. I mean, really all you need to do is dump them in some water and maintain a temperature for a period of time. It's not really any harder than mixing up tins of goo to be honest. Time wise though, yes it takes longer obviously.

That said, if you're spending the time to mash grains for mini mashes, why not simply increase the amount to get more control of your recipes? It should take the same amount of time. If you're happy with the quality you're producing with your current process then that's fair enough, but just another perspective on it. cool

...That said' date=' if you're spending the time to mash grains for mini mashes, why not simply increase the amount to get more control of your recipes?[/quote']

Pots, pans, lower create-able volumes, an oven, a stove-top burner, & occasionally I can't be bothered with long brew days & will mix up a kit-based brew with some added steeped grains/added hops for a short brewday.

That sums up my reason to stay where I am pretty well. wink

Cheers,

Lusty.

Hi guys.

Well I've been giving this recipe concept a considerable amount of thought over the last week or so & decided to kit base it. Drawing inspiration from a few sources including the recent RotM lower ABV IPA & the Pirate Life 3.5% ABV commercial IPA beer I recently sampled, I threw down the following a little earlier today.

Thomas Coopers Sparkling Ale kit 1.7kg

Light Dry Malt Extract 500gms

CaraHell grain 200gms

CaraBohemian 100gms

½ tsp yeast nutrient @ 15mins

Ella 20gms, Mosaic 15gms, & Citra 15gms post boil steeped once wort hits 70°C for 30mins

Riwaka, Mosaic, Citra 20gms each dry hopped

Re-hydrated US-05 yeast

Brewed to 23 litres

Ferment @ 18°C

OG = approx. 1.035

FG = approx. 1.008

EBC = 11.6

IBU = 36.2

Kegged ABV = 3.5%

I chose the TC Sparkling Ale kit over the Pale Ale kit as it is already bittered higher to around the 35 IBU mark (@ 23 litres) that I'm looking for, plus I'd suggest has a greater ale malt to wheat malt ratio as part of it's make-up compared with the Pale Ale kit. That is purely speculative on my part though.

Let's hope I've got the balance on the palate right for what I'm trying to create here. It did smell really good when pitching the yeast. happy

I'll update down the track.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Thanks for the kind words on the recipe guys. happy

I just hope I've got the balance right. I'll be honest, I never thought I'd be mucking around in this lowish ABV zone. Attaining a good malt character & hop flavour balance in a low ABV beer is not easy, & I suppose I like a challenge. If the beer turns out well, I'll probably throw a few different yeasts at the same recipe to see if it can be improved further. That's purely hypothetical though at this point.

Coincidentally Ben, I recently picked up some MJ's British Ale yeast based on yours & a few others recommendation of it to try in a brew soon. wink

Cheers & good brewing guys,

Lusty.

Archived