Coopers Community

Mid-Strength Nirvana

Beerlust

Alright then, well i think ill drop 500g of LDM, do a 60 min boil with about 5 grams warrior for that extra bitterness, and do a hop tea of simcoe cascade and chinook, about 25g each and the same for a dry hop. Just one question Lusty, with the hop tea you mentioned do i just add hops to the boiled wort once i get the temp down to 70c? Or do it separately in 70c water? Thanks again mate

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Alright then' date=' well i think ill drop 500g of LDM, do a 60 min boil with about 5 grams warrior for that extra bitterness, and do a hop tea of simcoe cascade and chinook, about 25g each and the same for a dry hop. Just one question Lusty, with the hop tea you mentioned do i just add hops to the boiled wort once i get the temp down to 70c? Or do it separately in 70c water? Thanks again mate[/quote']

You can do either. However, hops absorb liquid, & if you dump those hop tea hops into the boil wort they will absorb a portion of that malted wort. The malted wort lost to this will be replaced by your top-up water.

Better to make up a separate pure water hop tea of about 2-3 litres & steep them at the temp I mentioned. The sub 80 degree steep is to avoid adding any bitterness from those steeping hops.wink

Your hop combo & method should make a terrific full flavored mid strength beer!

Good luck with it, & let us know how it turns out.

Lusty.

Thank you so much Lusty. I am always appreciative of your responses and vast knowledge! You know i never thought about how hops absorb liquid before. Makes sense though, every time i dry hop they expand like crazy! I will most likely put this on next weekend. I just have to wait for my falconers flight pale ale to finish and then i can put this bad boy down! Thanks again

P.S how long should i steep for?

• 2 weeks later...

One more question Lusty,

Im going to put this on today after i bottle my falconers flight ale, and was just wondering what size boil i should do for the warrior addition. Should i do 5 litres with 500g DME? or can it be a smaller volume? Thanks

So i put this down today,

Coopers Australian Pale Ale can

500g LDM

250g caramalt (steeped at 70c for 30 mins)

5g Warrior at 60 mins

25g Cascade 30 min hop steep (wort cooled to 80c)

25g Chinook 30 min hop steep (wort cooled to 80c)

25g Simcoe 30 min hop steep (wort cooled to 80c)

US-05 pitched at 22c, fermenting at 18c

22 litres

I ended up doing a 7 litre boil and steeping the hops in the boiled wort instead of just water. I only did this because i don't have a spare pot i can use for a seperate hop tea/water steep

OG 1.034

FG 1.010 (expected)

ABV 3.8 bottled

IBU 33.3

I will dry hop with 25g each of cascade, chinook and simcoe 6 days before bottling. Hopfully turns out to be one hell of a flavoursome middy!

Cheers

OG 1.034

FG 1.010 (expected)

ABV 3.8 bottled

IBU 33.3

I was just wondering how your did your calculations? I've been playing around with formulations very similar to this - just looking for an easy' date=' sessionable beer that's more to my tastes than the 3.5% English Mild I made a wee while back, but my Beersmith numbers for this come out at OG=1.030, ABV=2.9% [img']unsure[/img] That's OK of course but I did wonder why my numbers are different to yours.

Just put down PB2's famous Nelson light' date=' adjusted slightly to get it around 3.5 once bottled. Looking forward to this one[/quote']

My Nelson's Light is crash chilling as I type this. I plan to bottle it Thursday.

Good luck with yours. smile

Cheers,

Lusty.

OG 1.034

FG 1.010 (expected)

ABV 3.8 bottled

IBU 33.3

I was just wondering how your did your calculations? I've been playing around with formulations very similar to this - just looking for an easy' date=' sessionable beer that's more to my tastes than the 3.5% English Mild I made a wee while back, but my Beersmith numbers for this come out at OG=1.030, ABV=2.9% [img']unsure[/img] That's OK of course but I did wonder why my numbers are different to yours.

Hi Blacksands. I got my OG number from my hydrometer reading, the FG is only an estimate really, the ABV i got from the formula on the Coopers DIY website, (OG-FG ÷ 7.46+0.5 in the bottle) and the IBUs from a mobile brewing app called "Wort" So yeah, there you go. Im not entirely sure they are 100% accurate though, but i dont think they would be too far off. Also its for a 22 litre batch, not 23 litre

Just another update too, so i put this one down on saturday arvo and had a very fast and vigorous fermentation with little lag time, maybe 8 hours or so. I did pitch a stubbies worth of yeast cake from my previous brew that used US 05. I just took a hydro reading to see where its at and its on 1.010 only 3 and a half days later. (OG was 1.034) That seems too fast to me. Do you think i might have overpitched? Or maybe because of the low OG the yeast finished quicker? Any insight would be much appreciated. At the moment im just thinking to myself RDWHAHB!

Just dry hopped with 25g each of cascade, chinook and simcoe. Planning to bottle next tuesday. Its already starting to clear up in the FV. This is shaping up to be the quickest brew ive ever done in terms of start to finish of fermentation. Normally i leave a brew for 2 weeks so the yeast can clean up after themselves, but this time they just seem to be powering on through!

Just another update too' date=' so i put this one down on saturday arvo and had a very fast and vigorous fermentation with little lag time, maybe 8 hours or so. I did pitch a stubbies worth of yeast cake from my previous brew that used US 05. I just took a hydro reading to see where its at and its on 1.010 only 3 and a half days later. (OG was 1.034) That seems too fast to me. Do you think i might have overpitched? Or maybe because of the low OG the yeast finished quicker? Any insight would be much appreciated. At the moment im just thinking to myself RDWHAHB![/quote']

I used 2 pkts of kit yeast on mine that is a slight overpitch & it ferments fast. Mine ferments out in the same timeframe, so don't be concerned. The lower OG also speeds up the fermentation process as there are less fermentable sugars for the yeast to chew through to begin with. wink

Nice group of hops there in good quantities for a midstrength brew, so should be lovely to drink once ready. joyful

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

I did pitch a stubbies worth of yeast cake from my previous brew that used US 05. ... Do you think i might have overpitched?
Possibly. I've used slurry in past brews and quickly found that online yeast pitch-rate calculators give HUGELY varying results as to how much slurry is actually required. I think figures for my ales ranged anywhere from 150 - 500ml! There's a few unknowns though which makes it difficult - thickness of the slurry, viability etc. I typically use 150ml and find that seems to be plenty. All those fermentations got off to a fast a furious start!

• 3 weeks later...

So, cracked one of these last night and i must say what a nice beer this is. Its hoppy with citrus, and slight pine notes. Nice bitterness, and super easy to drink. Beautiful hop aroma too due to the 75g dry hop. FG was 1.008 giving roughly 3.6%ABV in the bottle. I must say that the Coopers APA kit for a base is just unreal. I forget how awesome they are for a base to pimp out

Archived