Coopers Community

What are you listening to right now????

ben 10

Politics didn't have much to do with it.  Just greed.  And he didn't lose his songs (and their royalties) to CCR but rather to the Hollywood fat cat Saul Zaentz who owned Fantasy Records which held them to the worst recording contract ever signed by a major artist. 

You may know Zaentz as the producer of such blockbusters as One flew over the Cuckoos Nest, Amadeus and The English Patient , but on John Fogerty's Centerfield album we knew him as Zanz, the thieving pig in the song 'Zanz Kant Danz'

CHORUS
Zanz can't dance, but he'll steal your money
Watch him or he'll rob you blind...

Zaentz sued and Fogerty had to change the name of the pig to Vanz.

In 2004 Zaentz sold Fantasy Records.  The new owners restored Fogerty's royalty rights and Fogerty rejoined the label.

PS : Zaentz also sued Fogerty for plagiarizing himself due to similarities between the CCR hit "Run Through the Jungle' and the Centerfield single 'The Old Man Down the Road'.  The court dismissed the case as frivilous. 

Edited by Thirsty Jim
  • Like 3

On 6/23/2021 at 7:27 PM, ozdevil said:

love john fogerty  as well as ccr

Me too my dad listened to it when I was a kid now it reminds me of the good old days as a young fella.

• Like 1

On 6/24/2021 at 12:21 PM, Thirsty Jim said:

Politics didn't have much to do with it.  Just greed.  And he didn't lose his songs (and their royalties) to CCR but rather to the Hollywood fat cat Saul Zaentz who owned Fantasy Records which held them to the worst recording contract ever signed by a major artist. 

You may know Zaentz as the producer of such blockbusters as One flew over the Cuckoos Nest, Amadeus and The English Patient , but on John Fogerty's Centerfield album we knew him as Zanz, the thieving pig in the song 'Zanz Kant Danz'

CHORUS
Zanz can't dance, but he'll steal your money
Watch him or he'll rob you blind...

Zaentz sued and Fogerty had to change the name of the pig to Vanz.

In 2004 Zaentz sold Fantasy Records.  The new owners restored Fogerty's royalty rights and Fogerty rejoined the label.

PS : Zaentz also sued Fogerty for plagiarizing himself due to similarities between the CCR hit "Run Through the Jungle' and the Centerfield single 'The Old Man Down the Road'.  The court dismissed the case as frivilous. 

That’s cool cheers for that I remember going on a family trip to Kalbarri listening to that album when it first came out.