Coopers Community

about ourselves

Nick

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My Name is Michael and I am a proud Taswegian (and no I do not have 2 heads)

To earn a crust I am a Screw by day and also some bloody nightsrightful

I love my music loud and heavy but now a days this is confined to my headphones as the Wife and Kiddies don't appreciate the Gods of Metal!!!!

My life up to now has been a rollercoaster of a ride. I am on wife number 3 and why some say I am a glutton for punishment I say I am perfectionist. I have 4 kids ranging from 14 to 11 months old (once again many say I am a glutton for punishment). Been in my job for 14 years and before being a turn key I was a Green Keeper. You should see my lawn at home I got it all striped up!!!!

I am new to the brewing game but have developed very quickly a passion for it that means more overtime to kit my garage out. I am hoping this is going to be cheaper than my passion for guitars but something tells me the answer is no. I have had a great time and many a chuckle making my way through the forum and can see there is a brewery worth of knowledge to tap in to.

1499789117_61_881.jpg

Welcome to the forum Michael

You know your in the right place and the forum should help make your brewing journey more enjoyable.

I am a southerner living in the sunny, foggy, tranquil Valley of Love. Looking forward to hearing your brewing journey and you sharing your recipes and tastings online.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

G'day all!

Found this thread and figured that i would tell you all a little bit about myself.

My name is Rowan and i am 28 years old. I am a mechanic at a Holden dealership in the western suburbs of Melbourne, and have been there for about 12 years. I also live in the same suburb so it only takes me about 5 mins to get to work! I am definitely a car guy, i love all sorts of modifed vehicles from hot rods to lowriders, classic aussie muscle cars to turboed imports.

I am happily married going on 3 years this coming October. No kids yet, but i do have 2 dogs. (Now i am not comparing owning dogs to raising children, so dont jump down my throat all you parents!)

I love music. I used to play drums when i was younger, but slowly grew out of it. I listen to all types of music, from aussie hip hop, rap, and dance to funk, rock and indie. Anything with a good beat! My wife can listen to a song once, and know nearly all the words, where as i still dont know all the words to my favorite songs! I am more a beat/music man, and she is the lyric queen!

I got into homebrewing from my old man. He used to make beer, and so did his dad before him. I made my first beer (if you can even call it that) when i was about 17. No temp control, no use of hyrometer, no knowledge of yeast care, bottled when the airlock stopped bubbling, cleaned and sanitized with bleach. All the no nos of brewing, i did em! Thanks to all the very wise and experienced brewers on this forum, now im brewing pretty awesome beers, its just a shame that i cant share them with my dad or grandad. They would just be gobsmacked at the quality of beer i reckon.

Well sorry for the MASSIVE post, but thats pretty much me in a nutshell!

Cheers all and Happy Brewing!

• 10 months later...

In Nick's absence I have taken it upon myself to bump this thread every now and then.

Scottie from Tasmania, love Southern Rock, Playing Cricket and following the West Coast Eagles. I'm not 48 anymore but found a new lease of life making a club cricket comeback 3 years ago.  Joined this forum in 2011 when I started brewing and I am forever grateful for the help that it has provided over the yeasr

I love the beer brewing process and I love tasting the fruit of my labours. Some time ago I decided to steer clear of high octane brews and if you follow my recipe posts you will know that I brew mainly in the 3.5 to 4.2% ABV range. 

My favorite style is beer. I will go months brewing EBs then suddenly crave something American - having said that I love hops and could easily brew American Pale Ales and IPAs all year round. I have liked the darker beers that I've brewed, Stout and Porter, but I don't get around to them very often.

The oldest beer I have in stock is my 2011 ESVA, I still have about a dozen bottles left and last sampled one earlier this year. It is Vintage ?

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

3 hours ago, Scottie said:

...I'm not 48 anymore but found a new lease of life making a club cricket comeback 3 years ago.

So how old are you? Or is this a cryptic guessing game of sorts? ?

For the record, I'm not 48 yet. ?

Cheers,

Lusty.

I Can't remember if i ever did introduce myself so here goes:

My name is Dave or Hoppy as it represents my last name (good thing i love Hoppy beers ? ) I live in Country S.A (C'arn the Crows)

I started brewing K&K about 18 months ago and am now getting ready for my first AG very soon. This is hands down the
Best hobby around. I initially started brewing to reduce some costs ( i have 5 daughters ? ) but i have noticed lately that
i'm up to $45-$50 for K&K brews which is still a lot cheaper than buying it.

Cheers,
Hoppy

Hey Trendsetters,

Not sure if I’ve introduced myself in this forum as yet.

My real name is Kirk, hence The Captain. And yes there really is no other reason for that. It’s just popped up my whole 36 years of my life.

I live in the SW corner of WA a couple hours south of Perth with my wife of 5 years and son who is 3. 

Carpenter/Builder by trade. After I got my trade papers at 20 I left home and started traveling Australia. Made a base in Port Lincoln for about four years whilst I travelled. Loved my time there and have some lifelong friends that I fly over to see regularly. 

I have worked in the Oil and Gas industry for the past 12 years and loved it. As a change I am now working in the iron ore industry in sunny NW WA doing FIFO.

Started home brewing just over a year ago and have fully enjoyed refining my process and making better beers along the way. Started with Kits and bits but with in a couple of months I went to all grain. None of my homebrewing friends (that do all grain) were taking me seriously when I said I’m doing kits. But they were just trying to push me into their world.

I have no hang ups with people that do kits not like some people on other forums which is why I frequent this forum. 

I’m wanting in the next few years to be living on my little hobby farm trying to be as sustainable as I can by growing and farming everything I can. 

I really enjoy the friendly banter on this forum so please keep it up, but if I here one more reply from either Kelsey or Lusty about why a Pils is or isn’t a lager I’m gonna crack!

Have fun

Kirk

Forgot to add,

Massive music fan and has been part of my life for a very long time. Played in bands and all that jazz, and had lots of fun doing so. Don’t play live as often as I’d like but go out occasionally to see friends play.

I play a few instruments like a little piano, percussion, didgeridoo, but my main squeeze is guitar. And love my lapsteel. 

Ive never recorded anything that’s any good, but hope to one day as I’ve got plans to build a studio on my little farm with accommodation that can be hired out to people if they wish to record and stay. That’s a few years away yet. 

Cheers to the good life,

Captain

22 hours ago, Beerlust said:

So how old are you? Or is this a cryptic guessing game of sorts? ?

For the record, I'm not 48 yet. ?

Cheers,

Lusty.

Dear Lusty

I have always admired your investigative skills; To the point where you uncovered the identity of Otto Von Blotto and we on the forum where left wondering whether you worked for ASIO, ASIS or were a stalker of sorts. 

However your investigative powers appear to be diminishing or you've been working on some major cases that are consuming most of your time.

From page one of this thread:

image.png.34a9429aa4375e431b103e810676a7da.png

Hiya Scottie.

2 hours ago, Scottie said:

image.png.34a9429aa4375e431b103e810676a7da.png

Man,....you're old! ?

The cricket picture is highly dubious to say the least, & given the person in question is wearing a helmet it could very well be anyone.

I doubt it's you because I don't think you could possibly fit all that Paul Stanley-like hair of yours under the helmet & still be able to see. ?

?

Cheers,

Lusty.

My name is John, the 304 relates to the Naval ship I was fortunate enough to be aboard for five day parent trip with my daughter who was enlisted at the time. I am 67 years young, forced to retire about six years ago due to work pressures. I was a distribution Manager for about ten years and worked in the industry for the same company for 34 years. I have been home brewing for about 15 years but completely changed my brewing style after my wife ( of 45years) gave me a craft kit for Christmas. After joining the Cooper Club and reading just about every post on the forum, have learnt  so much about brewing and almost feel as I know everybody on the forum  personally, I am still doing kits and bits and some extract brews which suits me, I must admit producing some pretty good brews thanks to all the help on here, my only problem is keeping up a good supply,

cheers,

John

ps will post photo when I learn hownull 

2 hours ago, John304 said:

forgot to ad, from northern Adelaidenull

We won’t hold that against ya John.

Glad ya still enjoying the hobby and maybe even got another rejuvenation into via the craft kit. Good on ya for keeping up with it for so long.

Captain

okay I'll give this a crack

Hi everyone my name is Jason. (hi Jason)

I am a father of 2, eldest is about to turn 4 and youngest just turned 2. I have wanted to create my own home brew for many years but fear of the unknown e.g. steep, wort e.g.(terms that really confused me) these terms really got the better of me for a while . My wife listened to me and got me a kit which I promptly made in the heat of summer... fail. but I drank the fail and learnt and the fear vanished.

Now into me 6-7 brew a huge under standing thanks to people here and at brew adelaide I will progress to create my own beer that I enjoy.

I live in the western burbs of adelaide, I work for an insurance builder (I good one by reports from all around me) and have used this avenue to help relax the mind and body with all the stress that comes with the job. 

Country boy by heart as both my family and my wife's live rural so find it hard as most of the time it's just the 2 of us vs the wrath of young children, which we love dearly. I grew up in Renmark and the wife is from Broken Hill. 

Anyway here for the long hall as my next challenge is understanding partial mash and then the move to AG. Always something to learn and that is what I love

Cheers and thank you for reading 

Gully

On 6/2/2018 at 8:41 AM, Scottie said:

In the spirit of Nick's original post here is a pic of me at the non strikers end during this past seasons T20 Semi Final.

kniscottie.jpg

So thats you sitting on the bench in the background eh?

(BTW Adelaideians seem to to proliferate here, is because its a Coopers site?)

2 hours ago, Gag.Halfrunt said:

I just think there’s nothing else to do in Adelaide, they’ve all been to the Barossa, it’s not Womadelaide or fringe fest time, they’ve all been to the beach, and been to see the silly balls in the mall.

What better thing to do then be on a forum with other more interesting people from other parts of the country other than Radelaide.

Before you bite back fellas, clearly joking around. I love south aust. 

Captain

The best thing about Adelaide and South Australia as a state is the dedication to the arts.

So so good. Of course I say this because it filters back to concerts, live music at licensed venues such as breweries which adds to the experience in drinking great beer at these places.

Captain

13 hours ago, Gag.Halfrunt said:

Defs not. I'm fighting hard to not become a spectator (I open so sometimes I'm out early, 2 ducks last year, so I'm forced to spectate). 

For those in doubt I am not the young whipper snapper sending down the ball. I am the old dude holding the Kahuna in his left hand. The young dude got me out, caught at point next over, we won the game and advanced to the Grand Final. 

Cheers 

Well Scottie I think your a legend for keeping up with it mate. If that’s the sport you love then good on ya for still playing.

My brother played Aussie rules the other day against a fella who was 68. Still running round kickin the pig skin at that age is a triumph IMO.

Now Scottie I’m not saying your old, I’m just saying that it’s great to see you still enjoying your sport.

Captain

Archived