Coopers Community

What are you drinking in 2024?

On 9/19/2024 at 9:49 PM, RDT2 said:

Philly sour and did you post the recipe had a look but couldn’t see it???

Yes philly sour.

Pale, Galaxy and 28g salt is all

On 9/20/2024 at 6:22 AM, jennyss said:

Now I can accept the pale appearance. Very interesting flavour profile!

That was Barely - so not strictly to style but close enough, No coriander wither as I did not have enough

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

James Squire Chancer Golden Ale clone tonight.

• Sweet aroma.  No apparent hop aroma.
  • Sweet flavour offset by mild bitterness.
  • Serviceable beer.  
  • Shame, I don't think they make it any more to do a side-by-side taste-test.
  • Probably increase the dry hop next time.

IMG_4599.JPG.f4b52bb4b2f229be37528ac38f0fa573.JPG

For some reason I thought you were a kegger @Shamus O'Sean

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Pale Man said:

For some reason I thought you were a kegger @Shamus O'Sean

I am Paley.  But I also usually do a few bottles at kegging time.  Especially if I am making a keg of something for somebody else, I like to keep a few bottles for me to taste.  Plus, at the moment, I am a keg or two ahead of production.  So a batch I keg now, might not get into the kegerator for a month or more.  Having a couple of bottles means I can taste the beer as soon as it is conditioned in the bottles. 

• Like 5

First taste of Goose Island IPA AG. The hops are shining through, bold, malty and great Cascade flavours coming through.

I tried a new method to fast-carb it: in the keezer for a day to chill it, then turned off the gas taps to the other kegs and left this on 30 psi for a day or so. No shaking up of the keg. Then down to 15 psi or so for serving. Works ok 👌 

IMG_4601.jpeg

• Like 14

7 hours ago, stquinto said:

First taste of Goose Island IPA AG. The hops are shining through, bold, malty and great Cascade flavours coming through.

I tried a new method to fast-carb it: in the keezer for a day to chill it, then turned off the gas taps to the other kegs and left this on 30 psi for a day or so. No shaking up of the keg. Then down to 15 psi or so for serving. Works ok 👌 

IMG_4601.jpeg

Yep, I’ve been following that exact method for carbing my newly packaged kegs for the last year or so now cobber - works a treat 😉

Of course the beer always improves with age, but for me, I like to have another option on tap ASAP and then once I know what I’ve got (mostly) leave it alone for a while to let it mature 😉😋🍺🍺🍺🍺

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

What's it taste like?

Um, not unlike Asahi in style - just not close enough to call it a clone. It's got quite a dry finish but nowhere near that of the real deal, colours not as pale as the real McCoy either. It's not a bad beer. I suspect they create their own styles using extract dry or liquid malt, extract dry or liquid wheat malt, specialty grain additions, and a hop boil to achieve the results....

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Triple B Brewing said:

Yep, I’ve been following that exact method for carbing my newly packaged kegs for the last year or so now cobber - works a treat 😉

Of course the beer always improves with age, but for me, I like to have another option on tap ASAP and then once I know what I’ve got (mostly) leave it alone for a while to let it mature 😉😋🍺🍺🍺🍺

Keeping up supply is always hard @Triple B Brewing especially here at Phil's Bar & Grill as I am not the only one drinking it. 🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 9/21/2024 at 8:57 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

James Squire Chancer Golden Ale clone tonight.

• Sweet aroma.  No apparent hop aroma.
  • Sweet flavour offset by mild bitterness.
  • Serviceable beer.  
  • Shame, I don't think they make it any more to do a side-by-side taste-test.
  • Probably increase the dry hop next time.

IMG_4599.JPG.f4b52bb4b2f229be37528ac38f0fa573.JPG

I remember before James Squire changed their branding to The Chances etc when it was just James Squire Golden Ale! Then they had the Golden Ale, the amber ale, the Pilsner, the Porter and possibly a lager? 🤔

• Like 4

Hey there Brewers and All

Just a quick note - this is from today -  this evening - from my Fence Post and Rail - it is not Photoshop - it is not AI - or something else that could be suggested... it is just a photo from my Phone... it is a lovely evening - and the Bier is good - and brewed with Coopers Pilsner Malted Barley - German Hops and filtered Rainwater - and W34/70 Weihenstephan the ancient Bavarian Brewery's most beautiful Yeast...  

image.thumb.png.e917e55afd8e4417292da453b332d34a.png

• Like 19

10 minutes ago, Pezzza said:

Just a quick note - this is from today -  this evening - from my Fence Post and Rail - it is not Photoshop - it is not AI - or something else that could be suggested... it is just a photo from my Phone... it is a lovely evening - and the Bier is good - and brewed with Coopers Pilsner Malted Barley - German Hops and filtered Rainwater - and W34/70 Weihenstephan the ancient Bavarian Brewery's most beautiful Yeast...  

Nice looking bier mate.👍

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Pezzza said:

Take a bow Pezza - oh great wise and wonderful one. Just how nature intended. Au naturel! 

• Haha 4

On 9/24/2024 at 6:15 PM, Pezzza said:

Sensational. The beer and the setting.

• Like 3

On 9/24/2024 at 6:45 PM, Pezzza said:

Looks like heaven there old mate if there is such a thing. Only negative is the fence which by the looks of it only has 3 or 4 years left. Awesome beer and awesome setting.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Pezzza said:

Weather's come in... got the Sheep Graziers Warning from the BoM.... thankfully the Bier still tastes good

and there are no sheep here  😉

image.thumb.png.bc94a0ea74a7c5f3e618f523a4bcf5d8.png

Sounds a bit sheepish to me and a bit of humbaaaaaaaaarg

Edited by Back Brewing
  • Haha 5

My COPA. It’s been in the keg for 2 weeks now and has improved a lot. It still think it is a little too bitter in the aftertaste but I do not have an original to compare. Maybe I need to go and visit a bottleo and get some 😀

Made with Coopers Premium Pale Malt, Wheat (not sure which) and Gladfield Light Crystal, PoR hops and fermented with CCA yeast. You can taste the Banana quite nicely 😀

IMG_0562.thumb.jpeg.f3d88335a30a1d55ab6f72673767b806.jpeg

• Like 14

Ok, got myself a couple of Coopers Pale to compare the two.

First and foremost, mine makes the glass shrink 🙂 Nah, I just have to keep it low as we're going to a concert tonight and while SWMBO will drive back, I am the one who has to drive into town 😞 

Looks: mine is darker than the original, so maybe dropping the light crystal malt a little wouldn't hurt.
Aroma: They don't give each other much. The Coopers smells "fresher" than mine for some odd reason but I detect a hint of banana in mine, which I can't seem to pick up in the Coopers.
Taste: I thought mine was a little too bitter in the aftertaste, but comparing the two, I think they're fairly similar in that respect. Both have the banana taste and I pick up a hint of clove in both, not dissimilar to a Hefeweizen, although more subdued. 

All up, I think the recipe I used is a pretty close approximation to the original. A little darker but as the second photo shows, mine actually has a little bit better head retention and a creamier head than the original, which was poured a couple of minutes after the clone. Coming to think of it, I am not sure if I should reduce the crystal malt. Yes, the beer is a little darker but in terms of taste, they are very close. I don't want to jeopardise that for optics.

I am pleased 🙂 

image.thumb.jpeg.f54e767e933dbc1ad3ee76fd86cf445c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.cc0afc8d470e6edb454fe178fa1d15f6.jpeg

• Like 14