Coopers Community

First timer, be gentle

Moul I mean

1 hour ago, Moul I mean said:

Speaking of sediment,? Just bottled my first batch, woohoo. 

In the bottom of FV large amount of , what looks likes the enhancer, which mustn’t have dissolved, is this normal. ?

Now cleanup and get ready for next batch, really like this idea, ( penny pinching lol) , of $30 for ingredients and approx 60 stubbies of beer compared to $160 for equivalent,, at only bottlo in my small outback town.

ps Just got pick up the fridge this week, and get a temp controller as suggested.

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

Good Stuff, get moving with the next one.

The residue in the bottom of the FV is known as trub.

In brewing, trub refers to the solid particles that settle out of the wort during fermentation or conditioning. Trub consists of hop residues, proteinaceous material, and cell debris from yeast and bacteria.

• Like 6

So, my first try at a Coopers Pale Ale with harvested commercial yeast is bottled, and I must say I noticed two differences in the process. Firstly, it was a lot more banana smelling than previous effort with kit yeast upon bottling (not unpleasant). Secondly, it was harder cleaning up the Krause residue in the FV.

Proof will be in the tasting, but just interesting to observe slight differences.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Mackbrew said:

So, my first try at a Coopers Pale Ale with harvested commercial yeast is bottled, and I must say I noticed two differences in the process. Firstly, it was a lot more banana smelling than previous effort with kit yeast upon bottling (not unpleasant). Secondly, it was harder cleaning up the Krause residue in the FV.

Proof will be in the tasting, but just interesting to observe slight differences.

That's the beauty of home brewing you can make the same brew in different ways to get one that suits your taste

• Like 2

On 12/16/2023 at 10:44 AM, Moul I mean said:

Speaking of sediment,? Just bottled my first batch, woohoo. 

In the bottom of FV large amount of , what looks likes the enhancer, which mustn’t have dissolved, is this normal. ?

As @Classic Brewing Co mentioned the stuff is called trub. It is perfectly normal. It's not undissolved brew enhancer. For want of a better description, it's basically yeast droppings.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Back Brewing said:

That's the beauty of home brewing you can make the same brew in different ways to get one that suits your taste

Yes, I’m learning that but I don’t think I’m anywhere near testing the waters re taste yet. There’s so many styles and recipes out there. I find them all intriguing.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Mackbrew said:

Yes, I’m learning that but I don’t think I’m anywhere near testing the waters re taste yet. There’s so many styles and recipes out there. I find them all intriguing.

I've been trying to find a few beers that I can try to always have in the house. Once I find a potential candidate, something else comes along and makes me question my judgement 🙂 I don't know how many different beers I have made by now as I don't keep accurate records, recording batch numbers and things, because I am a lazy sod. I guess somewhere around the 150 mark but there still is no end in sight 🙂 

• Like 4

Ok, without starting a blue, although interesting, have set up batch no. 2, Coopers Pale Ale, straight from shelf. 

Question, again I know annoying with all the questions, it is day 2 and colour is misty yellow/orange.Normal,?  remembering got ingredients off shelf at Safeway.

see pic

IMG_0175.jpeg

Edited by Moul I mean
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Moul I mean said:

Ok, without starting a blue, although interesting, have set up batch no. 2, Coopers Pale Ale, straight from shelf. 

Question, again I know annoying with all the questions, it is day 2 and colour is misty yellow/orange.Normal,?  remembering got ingredients off shelf at Safeway.

see pic

IMG_0175.jpeg

It looks exactly like the colour of my Coopers Pale Ale at the beginning. It will clear up towards the end of fermentation. When the haze drops out take your gravity readings.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Moul I mean said:

see pic

IMG_0175.jpeg

Yep, it is good, you will see a number of changes before it's fermented.

• Like 3

I’m a novice, but I think it looks okay.

I am wondering though if the age of a can will change the colour of a brew? I read a few times that it’s important to ge5 fresh ingredients, but what actually happens to brew cans when they age?

• Like 2

@Mackbrew as extract cans age they will undergo what is known as a maillard reaction, in simple terms this is a chemical reaction and over time it will make the extract go darker. The hotter the storage conditions the faster the maillard reaction will occur.

Edited by kmar92
  • Like 3

On 12/19/2023 at 8:27 PM, kmar92 said:

@Mackbrew as extract cans age they will undergo what is known as a maillard reaction, in simple terms this is a chemical reaction and over time it will make the extract go darker. The hotter the storage conditions the faster the maillard reaction will occur.

Just to add, from what I've learned from this forum over the last year. The health of the yeast is probably your biggest concern when it comes to a kit can past their BB. Saying that, I've had no problems personally using some not too far past the date (as in months, but not years).

• Like 3

On 12/19/2023 at 11:00 AM, Moul I mean said:

it is day 2 and colour is misty yellow/orange.Normal,?

Hi @Moul I mean, I brew from Coopers extracts, often Pale Ale; and my husband's brews are usually WW Lager extracts. Although very different tasting beers, they both start out a dark chocolatey or even plummy brown colour; change to a hazy pale tan by about day 2 or 3, and then start to darken and clear by about day 8.  

We test for original gravity on day 1. Final gravity is usually on about day 8; but we bottle on day 10 or 12. The chemistry is fascinating and mysterious stuff!

@Mackbrew; I always forget to check the dates of cans when I buy them from Big W; and assume they're fresh when I order online from Coopers, so I can't comment on the difference the freshness of ingredients makes. 

• Like 4

Next Question.

Annoying right?  I know.

The first batch, Lager, has been in the cupboard stored out of light , 11 days, temp good, some PET bottles rock hard, some still squishy, which is it to be ? Is either a problem? Which goes in fridge first ?

Followed instructions, filled to near top, added two carb drops and capped bottles immediately.

I would like to bring in the New Year with my first ever Homebrew beer. 

Second batch, Pale Ale. 8 days in fermenter, around 20-22degrees from start, looking good, I would think follow same process after 14 days and Grav reading consistent.?

Third batch, will be draught, eventually will decide which I prefer minus the hangover and the farts ( naughty dog ! ), 😉

The assistance/advice has been great , thanks in advance.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Moul I mean said:

The first batch, Lager, has been in the cupboard stored out of light , 11 days, temp good, some PET bottles rock hard, some still squishy, which is it to be ? Is either a problem? Which goes in fridge first ?

If you want to drink some for the new year, I would choose the bottles which are the hardest & store them as long as possible & fridge 2 days before tasting/drinking.

Obviously with a lager, the longer the better but after 14 or so days they would be at least drinkable.

The PET bottles that are softer I would check the caps for sealing/tightness or consider re-capping them.

You could also invert them for a few days for further carbonation & then back upright, I used to do this years ago when I was bottling, it always seemed to work.

Good Luck.

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Moul I mean said:

Next Question.

Annoying right?  I know.

Followed instructions, filled to near top, added two carb drops and capped bottles immediately.

Second batch, Pale Ale. 8 days in fermenter, around 20-22degrees from start, looking good, I would think follow same process after 14 days and Grav reading consistent.?

Third batch, will be draught, eventually will decide which I prefer minus the hangover and the farts ( naughty dog ! ), 😉

Try one of the hard ones. Stick it in the fridge for 5 or 6 hours and give it a try. If it's ok then stick the other hard ones in the fridge. If it's not repeat again tomorrow.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Moul I mean said:

Next Question.

Annoying right?  I know.

Just a word of warning; that "lager" is not really a true lager, and to my reckoning tastes nothing like one. Of the Coopers kits I've made so far it is my least favourite. I've got one at the moment that is coming up to 6 weeks in the bottle. It's improving slightly with age, but is still pretty meh. If you are expecting a classic lager, lower your expectations.

I guess my point is, if you are disappointed with your first brew's results, try not to let it put you off brewing again. The pale ale and draught will likely be better.

• Like 2

Thanks Chairman Drew, the way I’ve been looking at it, meh or average or not, it will need to be consumed. I believe l will have enough volunteers who will drink free beers LOL. An acquired taste, or they will be too drunk to care.

She who must be obeyed, is right onto me, even if it is not my preference, “ you brewed it, you drink it”

Trial and error, learn from mistakes, in saying that am on 3rd marriage am obviously not a good student.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

10 minutes ago, Moul I mean said:

Thanks Chairman Drew, the way I’ve been looking at it, meh or average or not, it will need to be consumed. I believe l will have enough volunteers who will drink free beers LOL. An acquired taste, or they will be too drunk to care.

She who must be obeyed, is right onto me, even if it is not my preference, “ you brewed it, you drink it”

Trial and error, learn from mistakes, in saying that am on 3rd marriage am obviously not a good student.

Absolutely mate. I got through recently drinking all 21l of what was possibly my worst brew yet. I've had a few stinkers lately, almost put me off brewing. But my most recently bottled one I'm pretty happy with, and tonight I plan to bottle up a tried and true brew (stout). Onwards and upwards.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Moul I mean said:

Next Question.

Annoying right?  I know.

11 days isn't very long.

Suggest you pick a couple of hard ones and put in fridge over night and test them. 

Donr be disapointed if they fail to impress you.

Then wait about 6-7 weeks and start drinking them. A bit of time makes a big difference.  

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Moul I mean said:

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised regarding hangovers. DIY beer hangovers are very mild compared to commercial beer hangovers. 

6 hours ago, Moul I mean said:

Your beers will improve with experience and unless you're terribly fussy you'll get accustomed to drinking your own beers.
I have a theory on beers and I think it has merit:
Everybody has their favourite beer and if you talk to drinkers from different regions they all think their beer is the best eg. a South Aussie will tell you Coopers or West End is the best. Talk to a Victorian and they'll ask, "How do you drink that sh1t?"
And of course they'll think VB or Carlton is the best and go to any other state and they all think their beer is the best.
They can't all be right and they aren't. They're just accustomed to what they drink.
Once you start drinking your own beer you might not think highly of it because it doesn't taste like your go to beer. But after the second or third you'll be thinking you should have made the switch to DIY beer sooner.

• Like 9