Coopers Community

First timer, be gentle

Moul I mean

First time user,

Cooper DIY kit, Lager, 23 let

Only 5 days in, followed instructions, other than temperature ranging from 23 to 21 first couple of days, really hot where I live.

Used ice cold water to get down to 21, but then went back to 23, been in that range since.

Seems to be going along well, but is still cloudy, is this normal?

tested through hydrometer, even smells nice, hopefully not messed up.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Moul I mean said:

First time user,

Only 5 days in, followed instructions, other than temperature ranging from 23 to 21 first couple of days, really hot where I live.

Used ice cold water to get down to 21, but then went back to 23, been in that range since.

You will be OK leave it in the fermenter for 12 to 14 days it will clear up once you have 2 days of the same hydrometer reading she is ready to go

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Moul I mean said:

First time user,

you'll be fine if you can keep it within those temperatures.

First time I made that lager that came with the kit I had no idea and the temperature would have been all over the place.

Still tasted good enough for me to persevere and carry on making beer.

As @Back Brewing says leave it a few days. Personally I wouldn't take the hydrometer reading till nearer the end, to avoid wasting beer.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Moul I mean said:

First time user,

Welcome to the forum.

The temperature range is ok. Not ideal but as long as you keep it below 24 you should be sweet. It is normal for the beer to be cloudy at this stage. Even when you bottle, it'll be undoubtedly cloudy. It will clear up over time. There are ways to speed things up but they aren't necessities. You could cold crash the beer for a while after it has finished and you could use finings but it is beyond a first batch, so let's not worry about it. 

Just leave the beer in the FV for about a week after it has finished, so they yeast can clean up after itself and you get less sediment in the bottles. 

You're on the way to making beer and that's the important stuff. the rest will come with time. 

• Like 6

Ok, the instructions state to test through hydrometer from day 6 until get the required 2 days and reading. Is that ok? So leaving for another week or so is preferred?

Currently has splotches of minimal foam on top, obviously, or not, it has not finished with the yeast part?

Was kinda hoping to have a celebratory taste Xmas.

Coping flack from other half , big jug on kitchen bench, unfortunately best place I have for it, and coolest other than lounge , so she will get used to it. The experience has just begun. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Moul I mean said:

Ok, the instructions state to test through hydrometer from day 6 until get the required 2 days and reading. Is that ok? So leaving for another week or so is preferred?

Currently has splotches of minimal foam on top, obviously, or not, it has not finished with the yeast part?

Coping flack from other half , big jug on kitchen bench, unfortunately best place I have for it, and coolest other than lounge , so she will get used to it. The experience has just begun. 

Once it is done, you can bottle, You don't have to keep it sitting there for another week but it is good practice to do so. Giving it the time to rest, clears things up a little and drops out proteins and stuff that will end up in the bottle otherwise. Keep in mind that bottle fermented beer can give you flatulence and the less debris you have in the bottle, the less you fart. Ideally, you just have a light dusting of sediment in the bottles.

If you want to have it for Xmas, you might just make it. just bottle it once it is done, probably by Sunday. That'll give you the two weeks it takes to carb up the bottles and let the beer mature a little.

There are many ways to skin a cat and over time, you'll work out what best suits you.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Once it is done, you can bottle, You don't have to keep it sitting there for another week but it is good practice to do so. Giving it the time to rest, clears things up a little and drops out proteins and stuff that will end up in the bottle otherwise. Keep in mind that bottle fermented beer can give you flatulence and the less debris you have in the bottle, the less you fart. Ideally, you just have a light dusting of sediment in the bottles.

If you want to have it for Xmas, you might just make it. just bottle it once it is done, probably by Sunday. That'll give you the two weeks it takes to carb up the bottles and let the beer mature a little.

There are many ways to skin a cat and over time, you'll work out what best suits you.

As always, great advice @Aussiekraut👏👏

@Moul I mean, welcome to the wonderful world of brewing !! 😉🍺🍺

A lot of us start out using a small piece of bathroom or laundry real estate to store our fermenter while brewing as it’s often the coolest and consistent temp in the house (both of these factors are important for brewing, especially lagers as they prefer a lower brew temp). 
In the meantime, I’d suggest the best thing you can do as a new brewer is continue to research and reach out on this site 

Here’s cheers to cold home brew beers for Chrissy 🥳🍺🍺🍺🍺😋

• Like 3

Thanks to everyone for advice

i think I might just look forward to a nice start to the New Year😀 then. 

Good to have some help for a novice. 

Ps. As for the flatulence, I can always blame the dog.

Cheers

Edited by Moul I mean
  • Like 1
  • Haha 8

22 minutes ago, Moul I mean said:

Thanks to everyone for advice

i think I might just look forward to a nice start to the New Year😀 then. 

Good to have some help for a novice. 

Ps. As for the flatulence, I can always blame the dog.

Cheers

You wouldn’t be the first or the last 😉🙄🤷😂

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, Moul I mean said:

coolest other than lounge ,

Our fermenting vessels have recently moved into the family room, right under the R/C air-con.  We are used to it already! Don't have to go marching out to the laundry to check on the 'baby' brews. I have been homebrewing for two years; all with Coopers or other brand extracts, and in Coopers fermenting vessels. The brews always start out dark tan or plummy in colour, become a lighter pale gold hazy colour by about day 3, then gradually turn dark again by about day 7. Foam and krausen varies depending on the type of brew.  Best wishes for your brewing.

• Like 7

21 hours ago, Moul I mean said:

Put your fermenting vessel in the best position possible. It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. 😉 
If you get resistance from the fun police just remind her you're making beer for around 1/5th the price of buying it from the bottlo. The more you drink the more you save.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Patience is the key. I typically don't take a hydrometer reading until I think it's ready. Why waste beer? Athough I did take a reading on day 9 of my first brew just out of curiosity even though I didn't think it was ready yet. The earliest I have bottled is day 13 but I use glass bottles and I'm keen to avoid bottle bombs.

I doubt that you'll have it ready by Xmas but New Years looks like a realistic target.

• Like 2

I used to take an initial SG reading & again on day 6 & 12, when I was bottling. I would then leave it for 14 days before bottling.

You can overdo the readings & waste beer but as long as it is stable for the last 2 days it's OK.

Depending on beer type & the yeast used the fermentation can vary from slight action to a severe & powerful krausen but Hydrometer readings, look, smell & taste are you best guides.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Malter White said:

The more you drink the more you save.

That has always been my motto Malter, very sound advice. 

Placing fermenters in the ideal place for brewing is important to ensure best results & if you get resistance from SWMBO I would remind her that you are not only saving money, you are spending more time at home & also doing your bit in supporting all of those people who manufacture & distribute brewing products. 

But then I am single so good luck with that. 😉

• Haha 2

@Moul I mean You don't need to constantly draw samples to get an estimate of your brew's progress. I draw my first sample after pitching the yeast so there's yeast in the test tube. Then just leave the hydrometer in the tube and you can take readings daily. This isn't 100% accurate but a guide to how the brew is going. Once the test tube sample reading stabilises you can draw a sample from the fermenting vessel for an accurate read. Be sure to leave the test tube in the same conditions as the FV so they are fermenting a the same rate. It'll be even less accurate if the tube is stored in one room and the FV is elsewhere.

Edited by Malter White
  • Like 5

54 minutes ago, Triple B Brewing said:

WOW @Malter White that was my dad’s saying when he home brewed 😂 - I still use it occasionally, but I never thought I’d hear it used by anyone else ! 😉
Good job and very true I say - So WOOHOO here’s to home brewing 🥳 🙌🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺

It's been a very common phrase among my mates for many years. Usually referring to the local club's happy hour.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Malter White said:

It's been a very common phrase among my mates for many years. Usually referring to the local club's happy hour.

Arrrr yep, it’s a goodie alright - it’s been in our family since the late seventies 😉

I treasure our Australian vernacular and humour - I’m guessin that’s why Rodney Rude’s act was so popular in its day 😂

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Triple B Brewing said:

Arrrr yep, it’s a goodie alright - it’s been in our family since the late seventies 😉

I treasure our Australian vernacular and humour - I’m guessin that’s why Rodney Rude’s act was so popular in its day 😂

I have been using that phrase for years, even on here a few times over the years.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Marty_G said:

Welcome the the rabbit hole that is homebrewing. This is a  great hobby you will go broke with all the money you save. 

The only time I ever remember saving any money would have been over 40 years ago, since then all I have added is brewing equipment, bar room furniture, beer glasses, accessories & later AG brewing equipment, kegging equipment & of course never-ending purchases of ingredients, grain etc.

At least it is all for a good cause. 🤔

• Like 2

21-23deg it will be fine. Sounds like its progressing normally. Bottle any time after abt 8 days but 9 or 10 is better.  Drink in 4 weeks or later is my suggestion.

My old man did them at 27deg for years and bottled after 6 days. And got away with it, beer was fine. If brewed at say 26 - 27 it just happens quicker. Some say it effects flavour but IMO it's minimal if at all. Having said that some yeasts must be brewed at lower temps, but the coopers yeast is very tolerant. 

I brew mine at abt 19 +-1deg. Bottle on day 9 or 10 usually or if convenient leave it an additional day or two.

Edited by Oldbloke
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

The only time I ever remember saving any money would have been over 40 years ago, since then all I have added is brewing equipment, bar room furniture, beer glasses, accessories & later AG brewing equipment, kegging equipment & of course never-ending purchases of ingredients, grain etc.

At least it is all for a good cause. 🤔

My point exactly. You save money on beer and spend it on more stuff. 

• Like 1

Hi all, completely new to this brewing business.

Got gifted a Keg King kegerator and thought I would give brewing a go.  Well... I attempted a Coopers Pale Ale with the store bought ingredients plus brew enhancer and kept fermentation at 20-22 the entire time. 

Wow, what a sh**t taste I created! initially it's got the standard Pale Ale taste but it's after taste is something different, rather chemically.  Not sure entirely what has gone wrong but probably many things.  Hydrometer said it had finished fermentation after 7 days and then I racked it into a keg.

Everything keg related was sanitized but the fermenter and like was only washed out as per instruction for first use.

Any thoughts or pointers before I attempt the next brew.

Cheers all. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, dangerpinky said:

Hi all, completely new to this brewing business.

Got gifted a Keg King kegerator and thought I would give brewing a go.  Well... I attempted a Coopers Pale Ale with the store bought ingredients plus brew enhancer and kept fermentation at 20-22 the entire time. 

Wow, what a sh**t taste I created! initially it's got the standard Pale Ale taste but it's after taste is something different, rather chemically.  Not sure entirely what has gone wrong but probably many things.  Hydrometer said it had finished fermentation after 7 days and then I racked it into a keg.

Everything keg related was sanitized but the fermenter and like was only washed out as per instruction for first use.

Any thoughts or pointers before I attempt the next brew.

Cheers all. 

Welcome to the forum.

My initial thoughts are that you are tasting the effects of chlorine and/or chloramine in your brewing water. Some people say it leaves a "bandaid" like flavour. To me it tastes "kind of/almost but not quite" sweet but very artificial. "Chemically" is another word in that ball park.

Chlorine can be evaporated off. Chloramine cannot, it is not volatile. There are several ways to remove it/both. Campden tablets (half a tablet, crushed, for 23L) is a popular solution. I use potassium metabisulphite because I couldn't get Campden tablets at the time. I think there is another chemical, a common acid, that can also do the job.

Of course, it could be something else which may require a different solution.

• Like 2