Coopers Community

First timer, be gentle

Moul I mean

12 hours ago, Oldbloke said:

11 days isn't very long.

Suggest you pick a couple of hard ones and put in fridge over night and test them. 

Donr be disapointed if they fail to impress you.

Then wait about 6-7 weeks and start drinking them. A bit of time makes a big difference.  

Morning, 

Yes, hoping to have the first one NY’s, which will be  15days, see how it goes maybe will be then slowly going through them, suggest might have last lager well after the 45 day + mark.

By then the Pale Ale will have been bottled for a fair while, and time to bottle the Draft. Pale Ale to start bottling NY’s day.

Good things come to those who wait.

Who knows from then after Draft, might start getting some recipes and knowledge guidance on further types. 

And yes, I even got accustomed to Tiger Beer over seas, so you do get used to what you drink for a while 

Cheers (literally)

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Moul I mean said:

Morning, 

Yes, hoping to have the first one NY’s, which will be  15days, see how it goes maybe will be then slowly going through them, suggest might have last lager well after the 45 day + mark.

By then the Pale Ale will have been bottled for a fair while, and time to bottle the Draft. Pale Ale to start bottling NY’s day.

Who knows from then after Draft, might start getting some recipes and knowledge guidance on further types. 

And yes, I even got accustomed to Tiger Beer over seas, so you do get used to what you drink for a while 

Cheers (literally)

As I said earlier, the longer you can leave them before chilling them the better. There is nothing wrong trying a brew after 14 days, if it has carbonated properly, it will taste OK & improve with age.

Regarding chilling a beer, it needs a bit of time, up to 48-72 hours is recommended as it helps with the carbonation.

When a beer is cold it helps the CO2 absorbed better into the beer, so if you let it sit for those 72 hours you will have a much better carbonated beer.

To test it I would suggest putting 2 bottles in the fridge, one to drink straight away & the other that has been allowed more time is going to taste much better.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Moul I mean said:

Morning, 

Cheers (literally)

If you are in Australia, make sure you have Newsletters turned on in Notification Settings so you get an email saying the latest Recipe of the Month is available.  They are a great way to try new recipes with different ingredients like dry hops and grain steeps.

image.thumb.png.bd46cc6a757723cbb266ea6c39a2ab82.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

If you are in Australia, make sure you have Newsletters turned on in Notification Settings so you get an email saying the latest Recipe of the Month is available.  They are a great way to try new recipes with different ingredients like dry hops and grain steeps.

image.thumb.png.bd46cc6a757723cbb266ea6c39a2ab82.png

Very good point Shamus,

On 12/10/2023 at 3:32 PM, Marty_G said:

Welcome the the rabbit hole that is homebrewing. This is a  great hobby you will go broke with all the money you save. 

And how many times have you been bankrupt?  You must have saved heaps.  Ha Ha 🤣

• Haha 1

On 12/16/2023 at 11:14 AM, Moul I mean said:

at only bottlo in my small outback town.

@Moul I mean , I would not call Moulamein and outback town, (have been there several times) particularly after where I have just been in SA NT and WA. 

Any yellow belly biting or yabbies going in the Edward River?  Keep brewing and asking questions.  The general rule here is ask twice, brew once, tip out nil. then make the next beer even better.  Good luck with yours.

Welcome to the forum BTW.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Moul I mean said:

And there you have it. Folks, No 1. Lager, and yes will take some getting used to.

HOPPY NEW YEAR

IMG_0195.jpeg

If it makes you feel any better Mouli M my first brew was pretty ordinary - I mean on a scale of 1-10 it sat about 0. Under carbonated, tasted foul, and had the mouthfeel and body of a glass of water. I reckon it took another couple of goes and I was away. Don't be too hard on ya self - you'll be making decent beer in no time.

I mean look at your first effort - looks really good and then compare it to mine. 🤣 

IMG_3737.JPG

Mad Millie first brew.jpg

Edited by Tricky Micky
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Oldbloke said:

I always suggest to newbies.

Do:

Lager

Draft

Real Ale

And use BE 3 or LDME before you start experimenting.  You will likely like one of them.

point noted.

will make sure that these are all done and tried before i get too carried away.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I am back with another question./s

Currently waiting approx 14 days for beer in FV , then minimum 14 days in cupboard, thus 28 days for beer to be ready.

yes, I love my beer, I / we (lol) friends enjoying it too ( of course they would it’s free beer) ,  drink those 30 pretty quickly,  then there is a lag period waiting for next to be ready. 

Is there  a quicker way, someone mentioned cold crash, but notice fridge /gifted, won’t get to <4 degrees, if that helps for quicker prep before cupboard process.

She who “Will” be obeyed, ie.the financial controller, has suggested purchasing another FV kit etc. suggesting that having two going at different intervals will work,

Maybe common sense? I just drink the stuff, she controls the amount lol.

And again for all those that have offered their expert advice and experience,  it has been much appreciated, my first batch is really good, even better over time and second due to be ready to chill this weekend is looking good too.  Fourth in FV now ,

just no one mention this to my cardiologist, who told me to give up alcohol. lol.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Moul I mean said:

Currently waiting approx 14 days for beer in FV , then minimum 14 days in cupboard, thus 28 days for beer to be ready.

yes, I love my beer, I / we (lol) friends enjoying it too ( of course they would it’s free beer) ,  drink those 30 pretty quickly,  then there is a lag period waiting for next to be ready. 

Is there  a quicker way, someone mentioned cold crash, but notice fridge /gifted, won’t get to <4 degrees, if that helps for quicker prep before cupboard process.

She who “Will” be obeyed, ie.the financial controller, has suggested purchasing another FV kit etc. suggesting that having two going at different intervals will work,

And again for all those that have offered their expert advice and experience,  it has been much appreciated, my first batch is really good, even better over time and second due to be ready to chill this weekend is looking good too.  Fourth in FV now ,

just no one mention this to my cardiologist, who told me to give up alcohol. lol.

Have you got an inkbird temp controller? 

@jennyss had the same problem with keeping up the beer and she went to 2 fermenters and I believe is going strong

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Moul I mean said:

2 or fermenters will increase your production but if you can only fit one in your fridge you have to consider whether the brew can be brewed at ambient temperature. With the right yeast (something like Kveik, it can be possible)

How long you store it is up to you, most Ales are good after a few weeks, Lagers need a bit longer & of course Stouts need longer again.

If you experiment with your storage/consumption, you will get the idea, but remember with hoppy beers the longer you store them you risk what we call 'hop fade'

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Back Brewing said:

2 fermenters

Yes, @Moul I mean, I have been brewing extracts in two fermenters for several months now. It works well for us: catering to his and hers beer tastes , and keeping up the beer supplies. Our reasons for homebrewing are budget, better taste and interest. Here are our latest on day 8: mine on the left is a Coopers Brew A IPA; and my husband's on the right is a Woolworths Lager.

20240111_113305.jpg

• Like 10

6 hours ago, Moul I mean said:

I think you must obey

6 hours ago, Moul I mean said:

I think you should give up your cardiologist

Smart-alec comments aside, you will also need more bottles/kegs to store the beer once it is fermented.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Moul I mean said:

My cardiologist  told me  to give up alcohol , the next breath we was comparing craft beers we have drank 
the next trip he said dont need to see you again, you got me into strife with  my lady .    i then told him to blame his wife becuase back in ancient babylon times women created beer  for their men after hard day  hunting for food and whatever they did then  

but i said not a problem though, if theres no real need to see me in the future 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, Moul I mean said:

Voss Kveik yeast will ferment in around 3 days at 35C.

• Like 1

For a short while there I was only leaving my beers in the fermenter for about a week before getting them in the bottle to get the next one going. Since then I've slowed it down a bit, minimum two weeks in the fermentor. The most noticeable difference is the reduction of sediment while bottling, which for me makes that extra patience worth it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ChairmanDrew said:

For a short while there I was only leaving my beers in the fermenter for about a week before getting them in the bottle to get the next one going. Since then I've slowed it down a bit, minimum two weeks in the fermentor. The most noticeable difference is the reduction of sediment while bottling, which for me makes that extra patience worth it.

I would totally agree with that, the beer clears up more with the extra time as the sediment drops out.

It also ends up tasting better IMO.

• Like 3

Thanks everyone for the advice.

I have ordered another kit, as per the bosses instructions,lol, and will see how two go at different intervals, such as a week between starting. 

As for the amount of bottles, yeah see the ‘rabbit hole’ , but currently have 120 so shouldn’t have too much of a worry, I think/hope?

Might even start following what the ‘boss’ also suggested, and try and get some of my freeloader friends to start brewing,  Homebrewing started for me as an interest and a budgetary factor.  “ They are your friends, get them to start, we are not a charity” .

Don’t laugh, I even have a ring tone on my mobile for when she calls me which says “yes dear whatever you say”

I can’t see myself going down the advanced modes , hops yeast, malts etc for a fair while. 

Ordered Canadian Blonde extract too, remembering newbie, so starting with basic difficulty ones.. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3