Coopers Community

How much yeast to add to my extract homebrew?

jennyss

26 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

@Kegory Palmer recommends that yeast is pitched at lower temps than the ferment and then allowed to warm up as the ferment progresses. Seems like you did best practice.

Yeah, but about 3 degrees. I hydrated the yeast at 15 point low-mid something, planning to pitch at 18. Ambient was 13 point something, so the yeast we're heading in that direction. I ended up pitching at about 17.7 according to the Inkbird. Hopefully not too much more than 3 point mid-something difference.

It's all experience. Next time I'll be able to plan it better. I didn't plan it at all this time, just on the fly.

15 minutes ago, Kegory said:

Yeah, but about 3 degrees. I hydrated the yeast at 15 point low-mid something, planning to pitch at 18. Ambient was 13 point something, so the yeast we're heading in that direction. I ended up pitching at about 17.7 according to the Inkbird. Hopefully not too much more than 3 point mid-something difference.

It's all experience. Next time I'll be able to plan it better. I didn't plan it at all this time, just on the fly.

That will work fine.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Kegory said:

After all the yeast management discussion this week I made an impromptu decision that I should hydrate my yeast before pitching.

I ended up pitching it at a few points lower temperature than I would have otherwise. I was concerned that as my wort was warming my hydrated yeast was cooling and I wanted to keep the temperature difference as close to 3 degrees as I could manage.

I also hydrated my yeast given the discussions recently, and also the fact that my yeast was over 2 years old. I followed some instructions online I found and did it in only 70ml of water (10ml for every gram) at luke warm. It wasn't exactly a scientific process, but at least in the end I'm pretty sure it's happily bubbling away at the moment 😅

But as  long as my yeast is fresh, I reckon I'll just stick to the sprinkle, stir and walk away method.

• Like 2

As my can of ESB Old didn't come with temperature recommendations I checked the Lallemand Homepage for some info about their Nottingham Ale yeast and decided to dry pitch at 19 degrees, after reading it again now might raise the temperature to 20 degrees as the temperature controller always only clicks on when the temperature drops by 1 degree under target temperature. (P.S. both Lallemand and Fermentis have a free app)

yeast.JPG.65e3b664a2a12f6859ccd5344ba69efe.JPG

TDS_LPS_BREWINGYEAST_NOTTINGHAM_ENG_8.5x11.pdf

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

As my can of ESB Old didn't come with temperature recommendations I checked the Lallemand Homepage for some info about their Nottingham Ale yeast and decided to dry pitch at 19 degrees, after reading it again now might raise the temperature to 20 degrees as the temperature controller always only clicks on when the temperature drops by 1 degree under target temperature. (P.S. both Lallemand and Fermentis have a free app)

yeast.JPG.65e3b664a2a12f6859ccd5344ba69efe.JPG

TDS_LPS_BREWINGYEAST_NOTTINGHAM_ENG_8.5x11.pdf 1.04 MB · 2 downloads

What temperature controller do you use? I've set my inkbird to HD 0.3.

I just pitched a Nottingham yesterday at just under 18. The recipe, different beer, I know, says 18 -20, with 20 being best. I bumped it up to 19.1 today. I think the yeast will push it up to 20. If not I'll bump it up a few points tomorrow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kegory said:

What temperature controller do you use? I've set my inkbird to HD 0.3.

I just pitched a Nottingham yesterday at just under 18. The recipe, different beer, I know, says 18 -20, with 20 being best. I bumped it up to 19.1 today. I think the yeast will push it up to 20. If not I'll bump it up a few points tomorrow.

It’s a kegland one, might have to read the instructions again 

• Like 1

On 6/14/2023 at 2:08 PM, jennyss said:

@Kegory, my next brew is going to be a Coopers ROTM; Old Town Lager. I have been saving it up till mid winter for the 12-18deg needed for fermentation for the German Lager Yeast; which is a 15g packet (being kept in the frig).

Cold enough to Brew a lager here tonight. And that's inside. Could probably actually lager it outside. But they are forecasting warmer temps by the end of the week.

Waiting for July to roll around is still the best bet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kegory said:

Cold enough to Brew a lager here tonight. And that's inside. Could probably actually lager it outside. But they are forecasting warmer temps by the end of the week.

Waiting for July to roll around is still the best bet.

The weather here has gotten a tad warmer, so now my lager is sitting at 16C, where as a day or two ago it was 14C. Feels kind of weird to be hoping for colder weather 😅

• Haha 4

19 hours ago, ChairmanDrew said:

Feels kind of weird to be hoping for colder weather

I am monitoring the temperature in the laundry/brew room, because I'm also planning to make my ROTM Old Town Lager in July. It was only 4deg this morning with 14 outside. It is 13deg now, and only 14deg outside. Looks like I'll be able to manage the recommended 12 - 18deg; and maybe have to turn the heater on overnight!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, jennyss said:

I am monitoring the temperature in the laundry/brew room, because I'm also planning to make my ROTM Old Town Lager in July. It was only 4deg this morning with 14 outside. It is 13deg now, and only 14deg outside. Looks like I'll be able to manage the recommended 12 - 18deg; and maybe have to turn the heater on overnight!

Looks like you'll manage the 18 easily, but, yeah, it's the 12 you'll have to keep an eye on.

I'd be doing a dry run with the heater first just to get an idea of what to expect.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jennyss said:

Nah, sounds perfect to me. Even if the house gets down to 10º don't worry, leave it go and it will be fine. If you are worried, put a blanket around the FV - the heat generated from the yeast activity will keep it in a good temperature range. The low temp won't kill the yeast, only put them to sleep, and they will wake up again when the temp of the brew goes up. It just may take longer to ferment that's all.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Kegory said:

Looks like you'll manage the 18 easily, but, yeah, it's the 12 you'll have to keep an eye on.

I'd be doing a dry run with the heater first just to get an idea of what to expect.

Most yeasts have a reasonable range of brewing temperatures, obviously depending on the brew & the yeast, but if it says between say 15c-22c, as long as you stay inside that you are OK, a few hours outside that is not necessarily a problem but it is the range that you need to try & stay in.

That is why temperature control will always be king.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Most yeasts have a reasonable range of brewing temperatures, obviously depending on the brew & the yeast, but if it says between say 15c-22c, as long as you stay inside that you are OK, a few hours outside that is not necessarily a problem but it is the range that you need to try & stay in.

That is why temperature control will always be king.

That's the point I was attempting to make. @jennyss laundry was 4 degrees. She should be able to avoid going over 18 easily. The challenge seems to me to be getting the temperature up to 12 degrees.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Kegory said:

That's the point I was attempting to make. @jennyss laundry was 4 degrees. She should be able to avoid going over 18 easily. The challenge seems to me to be getting the temperature up to 12 degrees.

Has anyone suggested buying an Inkbird temp controller? Although there are other ways.

11 minutes ago, Oldbloke said:

Has anyone suggested buying an Inkbird temp controller? Although there are other ways.

Not recently, but I'm of the impression that it has been suggested previously. @jennyss can correct me if I'm wrong about that.

23 hours ago, Oldbloke said:

Has anyone suggested buying an Inkbird temp controller?

Yes, an Inkbird controller would be a practical and economic choice, and many have reported that they are easy to use. I will bite the bullet one of these days! 

• Like 3

I had a question about yeast - I know some recipes say to use 2 yeasts (e.g., both a Safale US-05 and the yeast under the lid of an extract can). And other recipes will just say to use the Safale US-05… what would happen if you used the yeast under the lid as well? I’ve just started prepping for the Hop Slam IPA ROTM (from late last year) which uses a Coopers American Ale 15g yeast.. and wondered if I should also chuck in the yeast under the lid (from Thomas Coopers Brew A IPA extract). (The recipe only says to use the American Ale yeast).. thought I’d see if anyone on here has advice?

• Like 1

I think I've deduced where 002, Coopers Sparkling Ale, went wrong.

It is a bit cloudy, tastes a bit sweet, and even though the gravity readings were stable the ABV was much lower than the target. It also feels a bit under carbonated. My notes brew notes will follow.

It was a case of not enough yeast I reckon. I used the brew can yeast but with 1.5kg of LDM & 300g of dextrose it just wasn't enough.

IMG_20230619_165525632.thumb.jpg.749a4f5d6f02c3ccd766c2c1edba61a3.jpg

IMG_20230619_165557804.thumb.jpg.8a4d1108545dcf37244bced8ab94673d.jpg

I'm gonna see what the homebrew club gurus think tonight but I reckon that's what it is. So there's at least a partial answer to your question @jennyss.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kegory said:

I think I've deduced where 002, Coopers Sparkling Ale, went wrong.

It is a bit cloudy, tastes a bit sweet, and even though the gravity readings were stable the ABV was much lower than the target. It also feels a bit under carbonated. My notes brew notes will follow.

It was a case of not enough yeast I reckon. I used the brew can yeast but with 1.5kg of LDM & 300g of dextrose it just wasn't enough.

IMG_20230619_165525632.thumb.jpg.749a4f5d6f02c3ccd766c2c1edba61a3.jpg

IMG_20230619_165557804.thumb.jpg.8a4d1108545dcf37244bced8ab94673d.jpg

I'm gonna see what the homebrew club gurus think tonight but I reckon that's what it is. So there's at least a partial answer to your question @jennyss.

I'm reading a bit lately they are suggesting 1g per litre I'm going to use 2 pkts on the next brew and take note.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, lachstock said:

I had a question about yeast - I know some recipes say to use 2 yeasts (e.g., both a Safale US-05 and the yeast under the lid of an extract can). And other recipes will just say to use the Safale US-05… what would happen if you used the yeast under the lid as well? I’ve just started prepping for the Hop Slam IPA ROTM (from late last year) which uses a Coopers American Ale 15g yeast.. and wondered if I should also chuck in the yeast under the lid (from Thomas Coopers Brew A IPA extract). (The recipe only says to use the American Ale yeast).. thought I’d see if anyone on here has advice?

I would have thought the American Ale 15g yeast would be enough.

Adding the extra packet might give off different flavors, from what the recipe wanted.

But I'm not a Yeast expert

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, lachstock said:

According to Brewfather 1 x 15g packet of Coopers ale yeast will be more than sufficient to ferment out the recipe. If you add more yeast you will be doing an overpitch and while it will still ferment out OK it may give flavours that were not intended in the original recipe. In other words bigger is not necessarily better, the yeast cell count should be matched to the intended brew. Of course underpitching yeast also leads to many taste problems too, so matching the yeast cell count to the brew is quite important.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1