Coopers Community

How much yeast to add to my extract homebrew?

jennyss

2 hours ago, Pale Man said:

How many average home brewers are going to invest in one of them?

Enough to make it commercially viable to put them to market. Some people have sufficient funds and sufficient enthusiasm about home brewing. You can see some of the breweries people are building here. @Vincent probably has something similar to that.

They are not excessively expensive. IBrew has one for $139.

Edited by Kegory
added stuff
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Kegory said:

The Kegland FWK didn't have a nifty punch out like that one and the nozzle wasn't centred, it was almost in the corner. I had to remove the bladder from the cardboard packaging to be able to pour it.

Did you sprinkle your yeast while the wort was being transferred to the fermenter?

I thought I had replied to this last night. 🤔

No, I have seen that on different packets etc. but can't see the point as I take a hydrometer before pitching anyway.

I am surprised KL don't follow All In's pouring spout addition; it works really great & is so simple.

They claim to innovative & leaders in the field but just a bladder is a bit primitive.

They still have great products & I use them.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I thought I had replied to this last night. 🤔

No, I have seen that on different packets etc. but can't see the point as I take a hydrometer before pitching anyway.

I am surprised KL don't follow All In's pouring spout addition; it works really great & is so simple.

They claim to innovative & leaders in the field but just a bladder is a bit primitive.

They still have great products & I use them.

You did reply to this last night Phil but in less detail.

4 hours ago, Kegory said:

Enough to make it commercially viable to put them to market. Some people have sufficient funds and sufficient enthusiasm about home brewing. You can see some of the breweries people are building here. @Vincent probably has something similar to that.

They are not excessively expensive. IBrew has one for $139.

My point being I've made enough lovely beers in a plastic fermenter not to warrant having to drain trub off every 4 days. I'm sure most have too.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

My point being I've made enough lovely beers in a plastic fermenter not to warrant having to drain trub off every 4 days. I'm sure most have too.

Sure, fair point. I was just answering the question you asked. There's obviously a market for it. Some people are always pushing for ways to make their beer better.

1 hour ago, Pale Man said:

I have to agree @Pale Man I have never heard of it in all these years of brewing & no Brewer or anyone that has ever given me any advice has ever mentioned it.

Perhaps in a commercial situation it could be different.

But what about these guys collect their trub to re-use the yeast?

• Like 1

On 7/31/2023 at 3:22 PM, Kegory said:

I was reading the Lallemands instructions for the Diamond yeast before starting my current brew. They said to sprinkle the yeast while transferring the wort into the fermenter.

There were two reasons I decided not to follow their instructions and, instead, sprinkled the yeast on top afterwards. The first reason is that I was using a FWK and the risk of making a big mess attempting to sprinkle two packets of dried yeast whilst managing the pour from the FWK was too great. The second reason was because I wanted to take a gravity reading before pitching the yeast.

You could just put the yeast in first then tip the wort on top that’s what I have done a few times with dry yeast. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, RDT2 said:

You could just put the yeast in first then tip the wort on top that’s what I have done a few times with dry yeast. 

Thanks, that sounds like a good suggestion. I've been taking gravity readings before I pitch the yeast but I guess at that stage it doesn't matter, the yeast won't have had enough time to change the gravity.

• Like 2