Coopers Community

Fortuitous accidents

Journeyman

I bought a couple of FWK's from KL, 1 an IPA & the other an Oat Stout. When decanting the bags into FV's I noticed the IPA seemed darker than the stout. I went onto KL & double checked the item number against their listings & the labels on the boxes said the same as the listings.

I thought, "well, that's odd, maybe it will change when ferment complets" & kinda forgot it. A day or so later (I was using Kveik at 35°) I dry hopped the IPA.

Come completion it turns out no matter what the labels said I had a stout in the IPA box & vicki verka. So I had a non-hopped IPA & a decently hopped (for me anyway) stout. After carbing in the kegs they tasted ...OK but odd. 

The fortuitous accident? They make a wickedly good black & tan! 😄

Anyone else had 'Uh-Oh!' moments that came out good? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

3 hours ago, Journeyman said:

I bought a couple of FWK's from KL, 1 an IPA & the other an Oat Stout. When decanting the bags into FV's I noticed the IPA seemed darker than the stout. I went onto KL & double checked the item number against their listings & the labels on the boxes said the same as the listings.

I thought, "well, that's odd, maybe it will change when ferment complets" & kinda forgot it. A day or so later (I was using Kveik at 35°) I dry hopped the IPA.

Come completion it turns out no matter what the labels said I had a stout in the IPA box & vicki verka. So I had a non-hopped IPA & a decently hopped (for me anyway) stout. After carbing in the kegs they tasted ...OK but odd. 

The fortuitous accident? They make a wickedly good black & tan! 😄

Anyone else had 'Uh-Oh!' moments that came out good? 

Thats refund or exchange material right there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

@Journeyman   i am with RDT2     give kegland a call   Darin , Sherya's you may even get the owner Oli a call 1st thing Monday 
they may not refund or exchange  seeing though you fermented and started to drink,  but atleast  they can fix  the issue in the production team 
in future when it comes to packaging the wort.  so this doesn't happen to other homebrewers

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ozdevil said:

@Journeyman   i am with RDT2     give kegland a call   Darin , Sherya's you may even get the owner Oli a call 1st thing Monday 
they may not refund or exchange  seeing though you fermented and started to drink,  but atleast  they can fix  the issue in the production team 
in future when it comes to packaging the wort.  so this doesn't happen to other homebrewers

That's a point. While I have plenty of stock for HB it's nice to sometimes just pour & hop it so I'll let them know.

• Like 3

On 3/10/2023 at 10:40 PM, RDT2 said:

I would be still letting them know there was a mix up!

OK, so I sent an email to KL - pretty much my OP above with this added...

Just letting you know because I am SURE about the label confusion on the boxes - I double checked at the time because I was confused but I've had some home brews look quite different in colour at yeast pitch to how they appear when fermented. I don't know how your store process works for an order but because they were oppositely labelled I figure you maybe only bag the FWK's when the order is being fulfilled & somebody put wrong labels on.

You might want to check the process because I think if I'd ordered something fancy & got wrong product I'd be upset. This just happened to kinda work out because I like a black & tan. Not sure I can say the same for my citrus-hopped oatmeal stout by itself though.

I got an email saying "that's odd, I'll double check & replace it. We want you to get what you paid for." Then an hour later, a shipping confirmation of 2 x FWK's being sent! 

Like, WOW! That is above & beyond. I thought at best I'd get a credit towards my next buy but entire shipment replaced is excellent!

• Like 7

51 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

I got an email saying "that's odd, I'll double check & replace it. We want you to get what you paid for." Then an hour later, a shipping confirmation of 2 x FWK's being sent! 

Like, WOW! That is above & beyond. I thought at best I'd get a credit towards my next buy but entire shipment replaced is excellent!

That's great mate, I second they are a great company to deal with, it is a pity some of the others don't take heed.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Journeyman said:

They are an awesome business to deal with, have nothing but good things to say about Kegland,

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Hoppy81 said:

They are an awesome business to deal with, have nothing but good things to say about Kegland,

They are a pretty good company and Kee is a smart marketer. He has sold @Journeyman 4 FWK's at half price, and @Journeyman he is very happy with that deal and will buy again. Happy customers always make a successful business and KL actually go out of their way to make customers happy. That is a very refreshing way to market in a world where many companies are just striving for maximum profit.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, kmar92 said:

They are a pretty good company and Kee is a smart marketer. He has sold @Journeyman 4 FWK's at half price, and @Journeyman he is very happy with that deal and will buy again. Happy customers always make a successful business and KL actually go out of their way to make customers happy. That is a very refreshing way to market in a world where many companies are just striving for maximum profit.

Absolutely, too many businesses have forgotten that simple thing called customer satisfaction.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Hoppy81 said:

Absolutely, too many businesses have forgotten that simple thing called customer satisfaction.

I remember years back when I got trained in PR they had actual research showing 2 things that stuck with me - 1. a disappointed or upset customer will tell at least 10 people about the bad service while a happy one will tell maybe 1 or 2 people, & 2. a happy customer gives around 100x the good PR you can get from ANY form of advertising. That may seem odd figures but what they meant was, the PR you get from a happy customer is far, FAR more likely to bring you other customers because we all trust our mates who tell us they did a good deal rather than a talking head in an advert.

So I've always made it a point to beat the odds in telling people where the good businisses.

That lesson isn't the only thing many businesses have abandoned these days. are. 😄

Edited by Journeyman
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

I remember years back when I got trained in PR they had actual research showing 2 things that stuck with me - 1. a disappointed or upset customer will tell at least 10 people about the bad service while a happy one will tell maybe 1 or 2 people, & 2. a happy customer gives around 100x the good PR you can get from ANY form of advertising. That may seem odd figures but what they meant was, the PR you get from a happy customer is far, FAR more likely to bring you other customers because we all trust our mates who tell us they did a good deal rather than a talking head in an advert.

So I've always made it a point to beat the odds in telling people where the good businisses.

That lesson isn't the only thing many businesses have abandoned these days. are. 😄

100% agree with what you have written mate, my wife and I are running three businesses and an AirBnb, the most important thing to us is customer satisfaction, no matter what.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Hoppy81 said:

100% agree with what you have written mate, my wife and I are running three businesses and an AirBnb, the most important thing to us is customer satisfaction, no matter what.

Yep, very true, I worked for myself for years selling Promotional products & travelled all over Australia with no one to motivate me. push me or tell me what to do & I agree with customer service/satisfaction. The reward that comes with that is continuing repeat orders.

I used to say if you are happy with my service/products, tell your friends & colleagues, if you are not - tell me.

• Like 3