Coopers Community

I Got The Sack!

Cheap Charlie

23 minutes ago, Oldbloke said:

Is that  LDME?  How many kg

No, it's not LDME, it's just a 25 kg bag of Coopers premium pale malt grains.  It has to be milled then mashed to get it to usable malt wort for a beer.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, NBillett09 said:

How many brews/how long would a 25kg sack of grain last you AG brewers?

I got around 140 litres from my most recent 25kg.  3No x 27 L and 2 x 30 L batches.  You should easily get 6 x 23 L batches.  The first brew was done in late November and the last will be this weekend.  So about 3 months.  Over that time, I did about 10 other batches with other grains and some extract brews.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, RDT2 said:

I feel lucky as my lhbs had it on special for 45 bucks!

One of my LHBS sell the Coopers range for $59.00 for 25kg & some of the Gladfield/Joe White range for $65-$79.

I am about to order some as I already have some Carapils but I ordered a smaller amount as he has agreed to sell me 1/2 bags of each milled for the same price as I am a regular.

For now it beats buying a Drill & a Mill.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

One of my LHBS sell the Coopers range for $59.00 for 25kg & some of the Gladfield/Joe White range for $65-$79.

I am about to order some as I already have some Carapils but I ordered a smaller amount as he has agreed to sell me 1/2 bags of each milled for the same price as I am a regular.

For now it beats buying a Drill & a Mill.

Nice, that's the next item - a mill. Not sure whether to get the 2 roller or the 3 roller? 🤔

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cheap Charlie said:

Nice, that's the next item - a mill. Not sure whether to get the 2 roller or the 3 roller? 🤔

I have looked at a few times, Keg Land sell the 2 Roller for $86.00 + &11.00 for the plastic board. They have the 3 Roller for $162.00.

Keg King have the 3 Roller for $219.95, by the time you buy a drill strong enough to run it it's a fair bit to fork out.

I understand the bulk buying/saving aspect of it but for now I think I will stick to buying smaller amounts already milled.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I have looked at a few times, Keg Land sell the 2 Roller for $86.00 + &11.00 for the plastic board. They have the 3 Roller for $162.00.

Keg King have the 3 Roller for $219.95, by the time you buy a drill strong enough to run it it's a fair bit to fork out.

I understand the bulk buying/saving aspect of it but for now I think I will stick to buying smaller amounts already milled.

If you have a decent cordless drill it will run the mill. My Ryobi 18V runs it fine. It will even run raw wheat through which is much harder than malted. The drill must have a low speed setting.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

2 roller will get the job done. A 3 roller will give a more consistent crush. 3 costs a bit more than 2. I have had a 2 for about 8 years but wish I got a 3 to be honest.

My LHBS advised to get the 3 roller, not sure if keg king and kegland are the same mill.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I use a 2 roller. Simple under $100. Had it for over 2 years now. Works perfectly. Does not seem to have deteriorated at all. I reckon I will get at least another 2 years out of it, probably more. I think that is good value.

Is that the 2-roller from Keg Land Shamus? 

Edited by Classic Brewing Co

22 hours ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

Yeah if your going to use it a lot and want your beers as consistent as they can be then the 3 is definitely the way to go.

I had the 3 roller   but went back to the 2 roller    the reason i made that choice i was finding difficult to  adjust the mill to the right crush size 
, nothing wrong with the 3 roller though it was just the numpty operating it lol

@Classic Brewing Co   this might be out of budget for you ,   but it may not have to spend more on a drill   as you can purchase  either of these  a maltzilla from kegland  and you just need to add the hopper   or a grainfather mill

MaltZilla with Integrated 24v Motor - The Diamond Grain Mill - Premium Diamond Rollers

Grainfather Electric Grain Mill, Mounting Board NZ/AU

the maltzilla cost 

• $210 for Mill
  • $85 for the Power supply
  • $35  for the hopper ( you could get a big water bottle cut to size and cut the bottom out)
  • $13 for mounting board

total cost = $343

Grainfather Electric mill

Grainfather mill comes as 1 complete package  hopper and mounting board and power supply  making a complete cost of $441 from Grainfather

however  hand  2 roller or 3 roller   can be good if your drill packs it in you still can hand wind the mill   where as the electric mills  you cant

• Like 2