Coopers Community

I Got The Sack!

Cheap Charlie

the best manual one I've seen (judging by the pics) is the $219 3 roller from keg king as it has geared rollers - not sure how much difference it makes. The keg king one looks to be good quality. The other one I found apart from kegland is the chinese vevor brand on ebay which has the 2 roller $73 delivered. Mixed reviews, you get what you pay for, but I may take the risk with the vevor.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I use a 2 roller. Simple under $100. Had it for over 2 years now. Works perfectly. Does not seem to have deteriorated at all. I reckon I will get at least another 2 years out of it, probably more. I think that is good value.

I agree. I use the 2 roller from Kegland. It's probably not the most sophisticated mill out there but works a treat. I've been using it for about 3 years now and had no dramas. I'm in no hurry to replace it. I had to adjust the rollers once but had no dramas with it whatsoever. The only thing that annoys me a little is the screws holding the hopper in place loosening after a few uses. But I can live with that. Naturally, I replaced the crank handle with a cordless drill 🙂 

Edited by Aussiekraut
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

I have the two roller had it about 4-5 years haven’t had a problem with it! My ozito drill just blew up the other day so now I have a ryobi which is much better. The ozito was pretty old though and crushed a lot of grain. Surprisingly it didn’t die when I was crushing grains though it died doing what it was meant to do! WTF. 

I used the rolling pin method once, the crank handle once and then drill forever after that!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

I agree. I use the 2 roller from Kegland. It's probably not the most sophisticated mill out there but works a treat. I've been using it for about 3 years now and had no dramas. I'm in no hurry to replace it. I had to adjust the rollers once but had no dramas with it whatsoever. The only thing that annoys me a little is the screws holding the hopper in place loosening after a few uses. But I can live with that. Naturally, I replaced the crank handle with a cordless drill 🙂 

After reading these posts, I am certain the 2-Roller would be ample for me. Bunnings have a Ryobi 8v kit for $139.99 so that's about all I want to spend on those items as I still have to buy the grain.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

After reading these posts, I am certain the 2-Roller would be ample for me. Bunnings have a Ryobi 8v kit for $139.99 so that's about all I want to spend on those items as I still have to buy the grain.

I hope you meant 18v? Dunno if 8 would get you very far.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

That's the drill I have. Smashes through the malt no problems.

Thanks Greeny, I am glad I will be getting one that most of you Grain Guru's use.

I also saw this one for the same price, it is also a Hammer Drill so I am not sure which one, hammer dill would be useful for other tasks though.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/ozito-pxc-18v-cordless-hammer-drill-kit-pxhdk-400_p0136015#:~:text=Ozito PXC-,Ozito PXC 18V Cordless Hammer Drill Kit PXHDK-400,-4.5 (34)

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Cheap Charlie said:

the best manual one I've seen (judging by the pics) is the $219 3 roller from keg king as it has geared rollers - not sure how much difference it makes. The keg king one looks to be good quality. The other one I found apart from kegland is the chinese vevor brand on ebay which has the 2 roller $73 delivered. Mixed reviews, you get what you pay for, but I may take the risk with the vevor.

you want the best manual  mill is a millmaster  you wont go wrong with it  as it uses flutes  and isn't knarled like keg king or kegland

the kegland 3 roller or 2 roller is not much different to keg kings as they arte knarled rollers

2 hours ago, RDT2 said:

I have the two roller had it about 4-5 years haven’t had a problem with it! My ozito drill just blew up the other day so now I have a ryobi which is much better. The ozito was pretty old though and crushed a lot of grain. Surprisingly it didn’t die when I was crushing grains though it died doing what it was meant to do! WTF. 

I used the rolling pin method once, the crank handle once and then drill forever after that!

ozito drill is brilliant  i use it for  crushing my grain as well   i paid 99 bucks for the ozito so not top of the range   but it has the torque  to do the job

• Like 4

I have a Kegking 3 roller mill, had it for a couple of years and it has worked well. I haven't had any problems adjusting the roller gap and I was attracted to this one as it has geared rollers that are supposedly a lot better at drawing the grain through without tearing them and thus giving a more consistent crush, I don't really know how true that is as I have never used a 2 roller version. I use a dedicated throw away Ozito drill that has worked very well so far with it.

Of course the Rolls Royce of mills is supposed to be the Millmaster Australian built mill https://www.mashmaster.com/ but they are very expensive. I know a couple of brewers that have them and say that they are a real work of art and would last a lifetime, but yes the old adage that "you get what you pay for" and for the amount of time I spend milling (less than 5 minutes/batch) I couldn't justify the price. Also a hi - torque/low speed drill would be the best for milling, but again a throw away Ozito for the amount of milling that I do is perfectly adequate and when it burns out I will just buy another!

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

you want the best manual  mill is a millmaster  you wont go wrong with it  as it uses flutes

looks to be the bomb mate, and it's aussie made too! Made in Brisbane? even better! Unfortunately it will be a down the track upgrade at $470 😞

Edited by Cheap Charlie
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cheap Charlie said:

looks to be the bomb mate, and it's aussie made too! Made in Brisbane? even better! Unfortunately it will be a down the track upgrade at $470 😞

thats the catch point price , for that money you can guy electric mill  like the grainfather mill

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Thanks Greeny, I am glad I will be getting one that most of you Grain Guru's use.

I also saw this one for the same price, it is also a Hammer Drill so I am not sure which one, hammer dill would be useful for other tasks though.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/ozito-pxc-18v-cordless-hammer-drill-kit-pxhdk-400_p0136015#:~:text=Ozito PXC-,Ozito PXC 18V Cordless Hammer Drill Kit PXHDK-400,-4.5 (34)

Yeah I think that would work fine too. The ryobi runs at 500rpm on the low setting and 50Nm of torque while the ozito is a bit slower on the low setting at 400rpm and 40Nm. I think it would chew through it fine.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Mickep said:

mate  yes it is a great setup   however dont forget to purchase the power supply if you buy it

i think with everything include  its $343 that doesn't include postage

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

mate  yes it is a great setup   however dont forget to purchase the power supply if you buy it

okay thanks mate. I figured a drill would cost me about $150.00 Hand mill about $100.00 So for the extra $80.00 I'm getting a purpose built thing.....

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Mickep said:

you sure could use it

40 minutes ago, Mickep said:

okay thanks mate. I figured a drill would cost me about $150.00 Hand mill about $100.00 So for the extra $80.00 I'm getting a purpose built thing.....

agreed. i want an electric one wether its maltzilla or the  grainfather one   but its along way down the track for me

i am happy with my mill set up  for the time being

• Like 2

Millmaster minimill is what I've used since 2012. Back then they came with knurled rollers but they switched to fluted a while back (around 2014 I think) after a number of people including myself had issues with the knurled ones not pulling the grain through properly. I was sent a replacement fluted roller free of charge so ever since it's had one of each, a bit unique I'd say 😅

Yes they're more expensive than others but the way they're built it might even outlive me. It fell off a balcony a few years ago and that didn't seem to affect it at all 🤣

To drive it I just use the old 18v drill driver set to low speed and highest torque. 

• Like 7

On 2/27/2023 at 10:16 AM, ozdevil said:

IMO the power supply unit would be the Achilles heal.  In my electronics background I have repaired thousands of switch mode power supplies just like this and it made me give these units a swerve when I was considering buying one.  Yes you could get two 12 V car batteries and wire them up in serial to get the 24 V DC or just buy a truck battery and a 24 V DC charger.

If they (KL) were prepared to give a 3 year or 5 year warranty on the PSU then it might be worth it.

I went for the KL 3 roller mill because it's manual & mechanical and it will see me out I reckon.  If the battery drill dies (battery or brushes go etc.) I can still hand crank it to get brew day done because you just know if the PSU is going to fail on the electric mill it will fail just when you really don't want it to.

• Like 2