Coopers Community

I Got The Sack!

Cheap Charlie

29 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I think I'd better go and check my grain storage cupboard. It might have been raided.

There is still a wanted poster out for @iBooz2 for the same theft, except I can't find it.

On grain, when I start buying bulk one of the good points is I can avoid freight as I don't mind the ride out there.

I could though get goods delivered from them if I want for $6.5o per 25kg.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 3/1/2023 at 9:53 PM, iBooz2 said:

IMO the power supply unit would be the Achilles heal.  In my electronics background I have repaired thousands of switch mode power supplies just like this and it made me give these units a swerve when I was considering buying one.  Yes you could get two 12 V car batteries and wire them up in serial to get the 24 V DC or just buy a truck battery and a 24 V DC charger.

If they (KL) were prepared to give a 3 year or 5 year warranty on the PSU then it might be worth it.

I went for the KL 3 roller mill because it's manual & mechanical and it will see me out I reckon.  If the battery drill dies (battery or brushes go etc.) I can still hand crank it to get brew day done because you just know if the PSU is going to fail on the electric mill it will fail just when you really don't want it to.

i do intend to agree with you   

Its one of the reasons why i haven't gone to electric mills   because  if the  motor goes you cant manually  use it and the entire mill is stuffed 

• Like 2

I was never Sacked from my working life, so thought I'd better lift my game.

Picked up a 20 kilo Sack of Light Dry Malt and a bunch of other bits, while out Friday.

Left my list at home and forgot several Bits!

Oh well, get the rest delivered.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

For you guys looking for a mill, I ordered the Vevor 2 roller mill from ebay $76 delivered so you don't have to. Here is my mini review. It is a chinese copy of something else for sure. The workmanship is very rough to say the least with the 2 aluminium supports not even the same length! It has one drive roller which is not quite centred, but only slightly off. The hopper is not stable and will require a bit of modification to make it solid. You are able to adjust the roller spacing which I set to 1mm as I am doing BIAB. After a bit of mucking around I was able to get it to work and it did the job. Works with my cordless drill no problem. Would I recommend buying one? Probably not, maybe go for the cheap kegland one which is probably similar or if you want quality maybe go for the keg king 3 roller for a couple of hundred.

IMG_0039.thumb.JPG.4921bac7d4969bd5f790ee18f6a7223f.JPG

IMG_0040.thumb.JPG.b0f4a8954a5199e0394e018f68f71666.JPG

IMG_0041.thumb.JPG.3fedbb841f72773ebd8695e2e212856c.JPG

IMG_0043.thumb.JPG.52592f2606820911f3c054f3f09a30f1.JPG

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Cheap Charlie said:

For you guys looking for a mill, I ordered the Vevor 2 roller mill from ebay $76 delivered so you don't have to. Here is my mini review. It is a chinese copy of something else for sure. The workmanship is very rough to say the least with the 2 aluminium supports not even the same length! It has one drive roller which is not quite centred, but only slightly off. The hopper is not stable and will require a bit of modification to make it solid. You are able to adjust the roller spacing which I set to 1mm as I am doing BIAB. After a bit of mucking around I was able to get it to work and it did the job. Works with my cordless drill no problem. Would I recommend buying one? Probably not, maybe go for the cheap kegland one which is probably similar or if you want quality maybe go for the keg king 3 roller for a couple of hundred.

IMG_0039.thumb.JPG.4921bac7d4969bd5f790ee18f6a7223f.JPG

IMG_0040.thumb.JPG.b0f4a8954a5199e0394e018f68f71666.JPG

IMG_0041.thumb.JPG.3fedbb841f72773ebd8695e2e212856c.JPG

IMG_0043.thumb.JPG.52592f2606820911f3c054f3f09a30f1.JPG

Thanks for the review.  Go for the Kegland one.  Another $20-30 is money well spent.  Having said that, Charlie, you will get a few good years out of this grain mill (I hope).  The "slot-together" hopper looks a bit unstable. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Thanks for the review.  Go for the Kegland one.  Another $20-30 is money well spent.  Having said that, Charlie, you will get a few good years out of this grain mill (I hope).  The "slot-together" hopper looks a bit unstable. 

It's attached to the body by (surprisingly) good quality stainless steel screws. The hopper seems to be made from good quality stainless steel plate and I had trouble drilling through it as I was going to pop rivet it together. Then I decided to just get it going and think about permanent mods later. It's a shame when you buy something and you have to fix or modify the damn thing 🙄

• Like 2
  • Sad 1