Coopers Community

First time brewing

Brocko

Most people will ask you for more information first before can really help so I will put it out there. 

What was the recepie? What temperature did you brew at? was it constant? What was the BB date on the tin and production date on the yeast? 

Did you just get the Diy beer kit and used everything supplied? Sometimes yeast can get old. 

Are you disregarding a portion of the sample and then testing a clear sample without gunk from out of the tap?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

Most people will ask you for more information first before can really help so I will put it out there. 

What was the recepie? What temperature did you brew at? was it constant? What was the BB date on the tin and production date on the yeast? 

Did you just get the Diy beer kit and used everything supplied? Sometimes yeast can get old. 

Are you disregarding a portion of the sample and then testing a clear sample without gunk from out of the tap?

All good points, but I am thinking (without knowing the recipe) that it's likely it won't go any lower after that long, I would say yes, bottle it but it would be nice to have more information. You could leave it for a couple more days & then you would know for sure.

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

The Coopers DIY brew kit The 23 L version and it came with a lager which I brewed according to the directions besides adding the yeast at 27° it’s sits at 24 to 26° Everything was with in the best before date but the brew enhancer 2 I used was solid I’m not sure if that matters and I am taking two samples and throwing the first I have tasted it tastes fine as well as smells fine. Well fine as flat hot beer can taste but you know

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Brocko said:

The Coopers DIY brew kit The 23 L version and it came with a lager which I brewed according to the directions besides adding the yeast at 27° it’s sits at 24 to 26° Everything was with in the best before date but the brew enhancer 2 I used was solid I’m not sure if that matters and I am taking two samples and throwing the first I have tasted it tastes fine as well as smells fine. Well fine as flat hot beer can taste but you know

OK, the Lager comes with an Ale yeast but it's a bit high, should be more in the 18-20 range, the BE 2 shouldn't be hard unless it's old stock or sitting in the sun.

The old story is if it looks like beer, smells like beer, tastes like beer - it is beer.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Brocko said:

So I was wondering if a final gravity of 1.019 I’d fine to bottle it been the same for 2 days now and has been Fermenting since the 25/12/2022

That specific gravity seems too high to me for what you have brewed, I would be thinking that it should be closer to 1.010. Have you checked the accuracy of your hydrometer? If not take a reading of water and see what you get. Depending on the temperature of the water it should be somewhere in the vicinity of 1.000. Did you also take a SG reading after you had mixed the brew?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Brocko said:

Also where I live it can get up to 36°C

i know this is really early in your brewing days but there are some yeasts that love the hot weather. if it's consistently hot round your way i'd suggest looking at kveik voss yeast as it supports brewing temps of 25-40c with ease. also really fast acting.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Brocko said:

Starting gravity was1.033 

@Brocko I am thinking that your hydrometer is out. I did some quick calculations and they show that you should have had an original gravity (OG) in the vicinity of 1.039 with a final gravity (FG) around 1.011. Another possibility is that the kit you have has been sitting somewhere at high temperatures and that the supplied yeast was not healthy, dry yeast prefers to be stored at fridge temperatures to maintain its viability over extended periods.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Cheap Charlie said:

I've only done 30 brews, but I've done some pretty dodgy stuff with my brews and it's turned out fine. I would second @DavidM's opinion. Good to go. If in doubt, bottle in some pet bottles like some cleaned soft drink bottles.

As kmar pointed out its most likely a dodgy hydrometer or failing to take into account the difference of reading from temperature correction.

Edited by Uhtred Of Beddanburg
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Stickers said:

i know this is really early in your brewing days but there are some yeasts that love the hot weather. if it's consistently hot round your way i'd suggest looking at kveik voss yeast as it supports brewing temps of 25-40c with ease. also really fast acting.

its not a begginers yeast either  kveik  voss yeast .  its something i wouldnt do out of the screws

Edited by ozdevil
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, kmar92 said:

@Brocko I am thinking that your hydrometer is out. I did some quick calculations and they show that you should have had an original gravity (OG) in the vicinity of 1.039 with a final gravity (FG) around 1.011. Another possibility is that the kit you have has been sitting somewhere at high temperatures and that the supplied yeast was not healthy, dry yeast prefers to be stored at fridge temperatures to maintain its viability over extended periods.

+1 for @kmar92 especially if it’s the plastic coopers hydrometer. I have about 3 of them and they all read differently. Unfortunately all the glass ones I had smashed! So I have marked one coopers plastic hydrometer in blue texter and I know that one reads 4 points low!

• Like 2

@Brocko Hi and welcome to the Forum.

Original Gravity (OG) 1.033 to Final Gravity (FG) 1.019 = 1.8% ABV.  This seems pretty low for the stock standard kit that comes with the 23L kit.

It does seem like your ferment has finished/stalled at 1.019.  This is a high gravity to finish at.  My OS Lager went from 1.032 to 1.012. 

You are okay to bottle into the standard Coopers PET bottles.  I would store them at >18°C for the standard 2 weeks.  But keep them in a safe location so any possible bottle bombs do not cause a safety issue.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

@Brocko Hi and welcome to the Forum.

Original Gravity (OG) 1.033 to Final Gravity (FG) 1.019 = 1.8% ABV.  This seems pretty low for the stock standard kit that comes with the 23L kit.

It does seem like your ferment has finished/stalled at 1.019.  This is a high gravity to finish at.  My OS Lager went from 1.032 to 1.012. 

You are okay to bottle into the standard Coopers PET bottles.  I would store them at >18°C for the standard 2 weeks.  But keep them in a safe location so any possible bottle bombs do not cause a safety issue.

SO is right. But 10 days should normally be fine. Worst scenarios is probably foamers. I don't recall ever having one stop like that. But then I only rarely use the hydrometer and just as rarely had foamers. 

Another option would be to reduce the sugar a bit in the bottles when bottling. (for insurance)

Say,,  1 1/2 of the lollies. If you can do that?

• Like 2