Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter 2023?

Shamus O'Sean

Well   its been along time between drinks in this house hold

No Pictures   you have all seen wort in a container before so not much different here

Made up a Hop Nation XPA    from Grain and Grap usinging US-05    i was going to use Bluestone San Diego -bsy - A010 ale yeast  but couldnt be bothered driving to keilor in 30°c heat  just for 1 sachet of yeast  but i am eager to try the bluestone yeast have heard some good things

made it up to 20 litres  so it wont  be as high alchol % as the real  hop nation xpa  but it still will be good starting gravity  was 1.042   if i brewed to 15l  it would have been 1.051 

happily fermenting under pressure now and i spose i better get my 20litre bottle ready to fill in the next week or so

finally good to see a brew in the fermenting fridge

Edited by ozdevil
  • Like 8

Irish Red Ale

Trying another variety in this style, see how it goes.

Uped the Malt by 500g's and the roasted barley to 100g's.

Made it up to 23l.

The recipe page said to "add the grain to 2l of water at the boil, remove from the heat, and Steep for 60 min."

I've done all my steeps with a target temp of 65 degrees. Which is what I did with this one.

Can anyone see a reason to steep the grain from the boil (as the recipe said)?

(Remember this is an Extract Brew!)

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Back Brewing said:

@Pale Man how did you go putting down the fwk what pouring method did you use?

Hey fella I opened screw top lid, pointed the ring pull at my fermenter and yanked it out. To be truthful i didnt spill much, but the bit I did, went over the screw top of the fermenter lid area. Which if not cleaned up before pitching yeast could introduce any nastys. You dont want sticky wort above the fermenting wort.

These FWK bladders are a nuisance all in the name of saving money. Havent got a reply yet from All In Brewing.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, DavidM said:

Irish Red Ale

Trying another variety in this style, see how it goes.

Uped the Malt by 500g's and the roasted barley to 100g's.

Made it up to 23l.

The recipe page said to "add the grain to 2l of water at the boil, remove from the heat, and Steep for 60 min."

I've done all my steeps with a target temp of 65 degrees. Which is what I did with this one.

Can anyone see a reason to steep the grain from the boil (as the recipe said)?

(Remember this is an Extract Brew!)

I recently made one of those. It seems to be an old recipe. I asked for some guidance on it in the recipe section. You should be able to find the thread relatively easily, it was only last month.

I steeped for 30 minutes between 60 & 70. I think I'm due for a taste test this weekend. Keep an eye on the What Are You Drinking 2023 thread.

• Thanks 1

@Pale Man I have done it a few ways one Is holding it facing the fermenter squeezing some of it between my legs when pull the tab out. 

The other is pulling the tab out while it's upright then holding the opening and grabbing one corner and tip it.

I wouldn't consider myself a strong person and I'm short. Both I find easy and never spill a drop. 

Yes its heavy and awkward for 5 or 10 seconds but it empties so fast it's not a problem.

Sorry you find it hard I hope other suggestions or mine can help you. As cost saving for the company also means the consumer. I'm also sure they would do cubes if they got them back for re use. 

Grain and grape in yaraville ask locals to return cubes where possible.

Edited by Uhtred Of Beddanburg
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Pale Man said:

Hey fella I opened screw top lid, pointed the ring pull at my fermenter and yanked it out. To be truthful i didnt spill much, but the bit I did, went over the screw top of the fermenter lid area. Which if not cleaned up before pitching yeast could introduce any nastys. You dont want sticky wort above the fermenting wort.

These FWK bladders are a nuisance all in the name of saving money. Havent got a reply yet from All In Brewing.

Try my method,  I don't spill a drop. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

I still dont get how you do it.

OK, Mr Paleman, a milk crate built up to just under the height of the bench placed as close as possible to where the FWK box will be placed with the tap/nozzle facing the front, cut around the cardboard to expose it, I don't handle the bladder at all.

I haven't got the box so just imagine the baby FV is the FWK, it just simply pours in to the FV, I place a plank of wood at the back of the box to make it easier & when the box is easier to handle just lift it up over the FV, then if you want you can remove the bladder & get every bit of the sucker in to the FV, like I said I don't spill any. The video is the same principle.

Tip 💡always pour a cold beer from the tap first to ensure a smooth delivery.

Cheers.

fwk 1.jpg

fwk 2.jpg

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

OK, Mr Paleman, a milk crate built up to just under the height of the bench placed as close as possible to where the FWK box will be placed with the tap/nozzle facing the front, cut around the cardboard to expose it, I don't handle the bladder at all.

I haven't got the box so just imagine the baby FV is the FWK, it just simply pours in to the FV, I place a plank of wood at the back of the box to make it easier & when the box is easier to handle just lift it up over the FV, then if you want you can remove the bladder & get every bit of the sucker in to the FV, like I said I don't spill any. The video is the same principle.

Tip 💡always pour a cold beer from the tap first to ensure a smooth delivery.

Cheers.

fwk 1.jpg

fwk 2.jpg

Its not how you set it up that I dont get. Its the hole in the carboard to sit the spout in.

You cut your own hole? Do you pull the ring tab while its sitting in the box or before and put the lid back on? Then just unscrew the lid while its set up.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

Its not how you set it up that I dont get. Its the hole in the carboard to sit the spout in.

You cut your own hole? Do you pull the ring tab while its sitting in the box or before and put the lid back on? Then just unscrew the lid while its set up.

You cut your own hole?

Yes, I open the end of the box where the spout is enough to expose it to make pouring easier. The rest of the box is intact.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

I may be mistaken but IIRC the kits Phil uses have a perforated knock-out section for the nozzle to sit in. The bladders have the nozzle in the center just behind the knockout. I recall discussing it a few months ago and that was the impression I got.

The Kegland kit I used does not have a knockout section in the box and the nozzle is located closer to the corner of the bladder.

You could try cutting your own hole if you are handy with a pair of scissors.

2 minutes ago, Kegory said:

I may be mistaken but IIRC the kits Phil uses have a perforated knock-out section for the nozzle to sit in. The bladders have the nozzle in the center just behind the knockout. I recall discussing it a few months ago and that was the impression I got.

The Kegland kit I used does not have a knockout section in the box and the nozzle is located closer to the corner of the bladder.

You could try cutting your own hole if you are handy with a pair of scissors.

All In Brewing kits do not have a perforated knock out piece for the spout. Only carry handles. So cutting my own is the only option. All that doesnt get away from the fact its a PITA to pour no matter what you do. They could make it easier by adding in a section for the spout to sit, and an on off tap.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

All In Brewing kits do not have a perforated knock out piece for the spout. Only carry handles. So cutting my own is the only option. All that doesnt get away from the fact its a PITA to pour no matter what you do. They could make it easier by adding in a section for the spout to sit, and an on off tap.

I agree. Even a fitting where you could unscrew a plug and fit your own tap could be useful. However, I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for that to happen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pale Man said:

Improvise, adapt and overcome, soldier! 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pale Man said:

It is a pity that all the manufacturers like to cost cut as the old plastic HDPE tubs were the best & also useful afterwards, there are a couple that still use them but living in Adelaide means the shipping costs are far too high.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

Ive got no choice have I. Luckily its a very good product, just not user friendly.

I've tried them a few times, produces pretty good beer and very convenient, however I have had the same issues as you mate, some all over the kitchen floor, a very messy clean up. I've tried the bag in the box and out of the box. Yep, a PITA. And also, can never get ALL of the wort out. Next time I will try the snip the corner method. You are not alone mate.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Cheap Charlie said:

I've tried them a few times, produces pretty good beer and very convenient, however I have had the same issues as you mate, some all over the kitchen floor, a very messy clean up. I've tried the bag in the box and out of the box. Yep, a PITA. And also, can never get ALL of the wort out. Next time I will try the snip the corner method. You are not alone mate.

I have snipped the corner, also added a bit of water & shaken it up - no waste.

• Like 2

If I was to put down a can of cooper's draught with a kilo of dry malt extract with 100g of light crystal malt and 100g of carapilis both steeped for 30 mins

When I brought the grain liquid to a boil how much Chinook hops would I add to the boil and for how long to get a nice bitter finish without it punching you in the face and be overpowering? I was thinking maybe 15g boiled for 5 minutes 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Back Brewing said:

If I was to put down a can of cooper's draught with a kilo of dry malt extract with 100g of light crystal malt and 100g of carapilis both steeped for 30 mins

When I brought the grain liquid to a boil how much Chinook hops would I add to the boil and for how long to get a nice bitter finish without it punching you in the face and be overpowering? I was thinking maybe 15g boiled for 5 minutes 

Personally, I would say 30gm would be better, but it depends on your taste.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Back Brewing said:

Have you tried playing around with the Ian H Spreadsheet? You can vary the amounts and boil times and it has a chart that shows you the outcome in terms of bitterness and hoppiness vs maltiness.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Back Brewing said:

I personally wouldn't try to extra bitter Coopers Cans, they have way enough bitterness. I think some over the top.

Flame out hops for flavour or dry hopping is very sufficient if you want to add that zing.

• Like 2