Coopers Community

What are you drinking in 2023?

Aussiekraut

8 hours ago, Kegory said:

Great bottle

Thanks, I have two of those , love it. It is so heavy and the glass so thick and dark that you really can't see when it is filled up during bottling. My son in law recently gave me a case of fliptop bottles, manly Grolsch, but also contained these two beauties, some brown Grolsch, some Italians from Birra Amarcord and two stubbies from Fischer in France. Also two 1.5litre Grolsch bottles, one is filled with Dark Ale and one with a Stout

Edited by Brauhaus Fritz
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

Thanks, I have two of those , love it. It is so heavy and the glass so thick and dark that you really can't see when it is filled up during bottling. My son in law recently gave me a case of fliptop bottles, manly Grolsch, but also contained these two beauties, some brown Grolsch, some Italians from Birra Amarcord and two stubbies from Fischer in France. Also two 1.5litre Grolsch bottles, one is filled with Dark Ale and one with a Stout

Nice haul.

I've got one of those 1.5L Grolsch bottles (I gave the other one away) but I haven't used it yet. I've never seen a brown Grolsch bottle. I've got half a dozen Altenmunster bottles and recently tried desparately to get some more but apparently the importer is no longer importing them (and as a point of principle I won't pay for empty beer bottles, that's sacrilege).

• Like 3

Gravity sample (chilled) vs global giant.

IMG_20230813_202449972.thumb.jpg.9c2a394a42718115e64f270940765f7d.jpg

I think it survived the unseasonal Melbourne weather, the power interruptions and the primitive yet desperate counter measures.

IMG_20230730_121204012.thumb.jpg.a152f10c942727ddb5b974daf7f01db5.jpg

With some carbonation and a few weeks to lager I reckon it'll be ready in time for the NRL Grand Final.

• Like 5

The 1st Bewitched Amber Ale I bottled.

IMG_20230813_205738388.thumb.jpg.c7daba374e75c843d4da839573eb07a1.jpg

Actually there are a number of firsts here. It's the first PET bottle I've tasted and also the first first bottled bottle I've tasted.

I figured it would taste alright. After taking three gravity samples the fluid sitting behind the tap shouldn't be any different to what's in the rest of the fermenter.

It is under carbonated, though. I screwed the cap on as tightly as I could but that wasn't enough. Next time I use a PET bottle I will cut the ring off the bottom of the cap to see if that makes a difference.

It was also the first time I primed it with powdered dextrose. I didn't use a funnel just a direct pour. Never again, mark my words. You can see some of the powder was still around the mouth of the bottle when I opened it (not enough to explain the lack of carbonation, though).

IMG_20230813_205654838_HDR.thumb.jpg.88d2364a6ed1babbe21f9814566ed1e1.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kegory said:

Actually there are a number of firsts here. It's the first PET bottle I've tasted and also the first first bottled bottle I've tasted.

I figured it would taste alright. After taking three gravity samples the fluid sitting behind the tap shouldn't be any different to what's in the rest of the fermenter.

It is under carbonated, though. I screwed the cap on as tightly as I could but that wasn't enough. Next time I use a PET bottle I will cut the ring off the bottom of the cap to see if that makes a difference.

It was also the first time I primed it with powdered dextrose. I didn't use a funnel just a direct pour. Never again, mark my words. You can see some of the powder was still around the mouth of the bottle when I opened it (not enough to explain the lack of carbonation, though).

But did it taste good?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kegory said:

The pet caps seal around the rim of the pet bottles and from your photo looks like you have granules of dex around the rim that may have prevented a good seal - maybe that explains the undercarbonation?

Edited by kmar92
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Back Brewing said:

But did it taste good?

Yeah, the Bewtiched Amber Ale is nice, that one is no different. Even the chloramine twang works with it, not against it. It came with the small fermenter kit. It's just the can, some water, and the can yeast but it is surprisingly good. Based on just this one brew I'm inclined to think the Mr Beer range is probably worth the money.

• Like 1

Just now, kmar92 said:

The pet caps seal around the rim of the pet bottles and from your photo looks like you have granules of dex around the rim that may have prevented a good seal - maybe that explains the undercarbonation.

Oh, good explanation.

I read here a few months ago about people not getting good carbonation from the PET bottles and the ring on the cap was mentioned as the likely culprit and it was recommended to cut it off. I've still got a few more PET first bottled bottles, inlcuding a couple carbonated with carbonation drops, so I'll take note of how they come out.

2 minutes ago, Kegory said:

Oh, good explanation.

I read here a few months ago about people not getting good carbonation from the PET bottles and the ring on the cap was mentioned as the likely culprit and it was recommended to cut it off. I've still got a few more PET first bottled bottles, inlcuding a couple carbonated with carbonation drops, so I'll take note of how they come out.

I doubt that the ring on the cap is the problem, especially as you were saying that it was the 1st brew, the rings are never a problem with virgin caps, the only problem maybe if you re-use the bottles were the ring is retained on the neck of the bottle but I also doubt that theory.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

I doubt that the ring on the cap is the problem, especially as you were saying that it was the 1st brew, the rings are never a problem with virgin caps, the only problem maybe if you re-use the bottles were the ring is retained on the neck of the bottle but I also doubt that theory.

Ah, ok. Cheers.

20 hours ago, Kegory said:

For secondary priming table sugar is the go. Yes, use a funnel. 

IMO best way is "bulk priming"

20 hours ago, Kegory said:

Nice light coloured creamy head on it

For your next exbeeriment next time you bottle with dextrose ( I use dextrose as well ) use sugar in one bottle and after 4 weeks open them side by side

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Kegory said:

Gravity sample (chilled) vs global giant.

IMG_20230813_202449972.thumb.jpg.9c2a394a42718115e64f270940765f7d.jpg

I think it survived the unseasonal Melbourne weather, the power interruptions and the primitive yet desperate counter measures.

IMG_20230730_121204012.thumb.jpg.a152f10c942727ddb5b974daf7f01db5.jpg

With some carbonation and a few weeks to lager I reckon it'll be ready in time for the NRL Grand Final.

Whats the go with the lineup of three inkbirds? 

1 hour ago, Oldbloke said:

For secondary priming table sugar is the go. Yes, use a funnel. 

IMO best way is "bulk priming"

Yeah, I upgraded to using a funnel after that batch. I haven't tried batch priming yet as I'm still exbeerimenting with different sugars. Table sugar is definitely more user, or should that be brewer, friendly. I'll be giving sugar and dex a taste test challenge very soon, probably this week.

1 hour ago, Back Brewing said:

Nice light coloured creamy head on it

For your next exbeeriment next time you bottle with dextrose ( I use dextrose as well ) use sugar in one bottle and after 4 weeks open them side by side

You read my mind. I did half the Bird of Prey with sugar and half with dex. I'm planning to try them this week. Not quite four weeks but I want to test them so I can impress my friends before the hop fade kicks in (the gravity sample smelled and tasted amazing).

1 hour ago, Pale Man said:

Whats the go with the lineup of three inkbirds? 

There are actually four but one is out of shot. The first one is on the fermenter running the heatbelts and the fan. The second one I use for the little fermenter when they are both running at the same time but for this batch it is running the heatpad under tub to keep the bath water (sanitizer) warm. The third one is regulating the conditioning cave under the far table. The other one (out of shot) is running the lagering fridge (which thinks it is a freezer).

• Haha 1

It is almost cruel to the Bewitched Amber Ale to have it chasing a Belgian Ale that's survived since Napoleonic times but I'm keen to get these Fuller's bottles back in circulation. This time it's the last bottled bottle of 003.

IMG_20230814_202834749.thumb.jpg.6c0f96e73bba27dae8707fd299d5b3ce.jpg

This one's a bit under carbonated, too. They're not all like this, I've had some good ones, but, as with yesterday's post, it was my first attempt a powder priming with a scoop sans funnel (never again sans funnel) and the results were, shallow we say, inconsistent. All part of the learning curve.

Anyway, it tastes alright. A bit of maltiness + some bitterness + a little roastiness + chloramine twang = something reminiscent of liquorice, mildly.

Here are my brewing notes

IMG_20230814_202718079.thumb.jpg.8b5a3c0c063e596837d8d8fe804c2ec9.jpg

Edited by Kegory
More
  • Like 2