Coopers Community

Keezer gas: In or Out?

I have a 6 tap keezer (pictured) and keep my CO2 bottle INSIDE the keezer. I do this because in my earlier days someone recommended I do so.  However, it has occurred to me that if I had it OUTSIDE the keezer there would be these advantages:

• To turn the gas ON or OFF I would not have to open the lid of the keezer and reach in among all the tubing to do so. It would be much quicker, if you were only having one pint, to turn the gas ON, pour the beer, and turn it off again;
  • much quicker to put the keezer to bed at the end of a session - just turn the gas off!

or, is there some technical reason for keeping the cylinder cold?

Also, would it be better for the regulator gauges to be warm and dry outside the keezer than misty, cold, and maybe damp inside the keezer?

I look forward to your thoughts.

Many thanks, Jim

Pictured is my wife adding the finishing touches to the paintwork of my homemade keezer.

Keezer 013.jpg

I've always had mine outside the fridge simply because there's no room inside it and it would be completely impractical for me to do that even if it did. 

I have it connected to a manifold bolted to the bar next to the fridge with the lines going in through the back. This way I can turn gas off to individual kegs, change pressure etc. without opening it or disturbing the kegs. 

14 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I've always had mine outside the fridge simply because there's no room inside it and it would be completely impractical for me to do that even if it did. 

I have it connected to a manifold bolted to the bar next to the fridge with the lines going in through the back. This way I can turn gas off to individual kegs, change pressure etc. without opening it or disturbing the kegs. 

Thanks Otto

My manifold is on the inside as you can see in the picture  below.  If I had one tube coming in from outside and no gas cylinder inside I could tidy up my plumbing and have more room for kegs.

Many thanks, Jim

Keezer 013.jpg

5 hours ago, JimInCollie said:

My manifold is on the inside as you can see in the picture  below.  If I had one tube coming in from outside and no gas cylinder inside I could tidy up my plumbing and have more room for kegs.

Being inside keeps things a bit tidier on the outside.  As far as I know, there is no technical reason why it is better to have the gas bottle/regulator inside the fridge/freezer.

Mine is on the outside, like Otto's, and for the same reason.

• Like 2

I keep my gas bottle outside of the fridge (not freezer) as it is a 10kg one that is too tall. When I had a 6kg one I also kept it out as it took up too much space. I also read ( John Palmer, How to Brew book) that the regulator might get damaged from the condensation if it is kept inside.

• Like 2

Bottle outside for me along with the manifold, I do not see any reason to put it inside as it is just taking up space that could be occupied by a keg. Also a moist cold environment is probably not ideal for regulators.

• Like 3

Gas cylinder outside, More space inside

Also you can’t have a Regulator inside as they don’t like condensation of any kind as the diaphragm can leak gas past and then cause gas flow fluctuations & false readings on the gauge. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/20/2022 at 2:28 PM, Classic Brewing Co said:

Mine is on the inside ATM but soon it will be on the outside as I will be getting 3 more kegs inside, bloody lot of stuff just to pour a beer isn't there - what have I done 😬

I know how you feel.  I just paid off my credit card, the one I used to buy the 6x taps for my keezer, and some extra kegs, and other bits and pieces.  I'm wondering how much beer I will have to brew, and what the savings will be compared with store-bought beer, to make it worth doing?   Worthwhile financially, I mean.  It is a hobby after all, and I'm learning heaps which is also an asset, and the beer is usually better than most store-bought beers, anyway, so I'm not whingeing, just need to put the credit card away is all.

Keezer 007.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/14/2022 at 3:38 AM, interceptor said:

Bottle outside, manifold inside.

Makes for easy swap when I run out.

I have a small bottle to use whn the big one is out for a refill.

Hi Interceptor. "Makes for easy swap when I run out" - Excellent point!

Thanks, Jim

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, JimInCollie said:

I know how you feel.  I just paid off my credit card, the one I used to buy the 6x taps for my keezer, and some extra kegs, and other bits and pieces.  I'm wondering how much beer I will have to brew, and what the savings will be compared with store-bought beer, to make it worth doing?   Worthwhile financially, I mean.  It is a hobby after all, and I'm learning heaps which is also an asset, and the beer is usually better than most store-bought beers, anyway, so I'm not whingeing, just need to put the credit card away is all.

Keezer 007.jpg

Looks awesome mate, enjoy.

• Thanks 1