Coopers Community

All Grain for beginners

ozdevil

On 4/1/2022 at 2:28 PM, Classic Brewing Co said:

@Shamus O'Sean I came across an old post of yours with these, it appears the fit they Hot Cubes so that could be handy for transferring the wort to the FV.

1385566709_TapinaCap.jpg.521461b501fc4c84a424bf601814470a.jpg

I see you have got plenty of advice about these and cubing already.   I loved those caps for mess-free pouring from the cube.  I cubed for a short while and might go back to it in the right circumstances. 

I have now gone back to using a counter flow chiller.  You run the water much slower than an immersion chiller.  I collect the water in some Bunnings cubes and use it for cleaning.

Cubing seems a good idea compared to using an immersion chiller.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I see you have got plenty of advice about these and cubing already.   I loved those caps for mess-free pouring from the cube.  I cubed for a short while and might go back to it in the right circumstances. 

I have now gone back to using a counter flow chiller.  You run the water much slower than an immersion chiller.  I collect the water in some Bunnings cubes and use it for cleaning.

Cubing seems a good idea compared to using an immersion chiller.

Agreed, I think that is the way for now, Cheers Shamus.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Here is what I have just ordered.

Wasn't having a go Phil.

It's definitely no-chill, and Aussie's came up with it for the same reason you don't like chilling - the excessive use of water.
The Americans were scared because of botchulism risks, it works and we like it.

Very convenient.

I find the white jerry cans a better shape than actual cubes.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, interceptor said:

Wasn't having a go Phil.

It's definitely no-chill, and Aussie's came up with it for the same reason you don't like chilling - the excessive use of water.
The Americans were scared because of botchulism risks, it works and we like it.

Very convenient.

I find the white jerry cans a better shape than actual cubes.

I realise that Mate, all good, I thought the chiller was a great idea but I was surprised how long it takes more so the amount of water wastage, if you have a pool, vast amount of lawn/garden I guess it can be justified. I also note there a bigger more expensive chillers available but if half a dozen or so of the Gun Brewer's on this forum using no-chill method, that's good enough for me.

I have a few of the Bunnings BPA containers/jerrycan with taps but they are only 10/15/20/ I use for general water use.

So I will be no-chilling the next batch & see how we go.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

So I will be no-chilling the next batch & see how we go.

I think you will be really happy with it, especially this time of year.  No-chilling over-night at ambient temperatures should have you around good pitching temperature for an ale.  If doing a lager, you can put your cube into a temperature controlled fridge set at 12°C and over-night it will settle to a perfect lager pitching temperature.

A word of note, that you might already know, my 20 litre cubes hold just a bit over 22 litres.  It is recommended you make enough wort to fill the cube to the brim, with minimal air bubbles inside.  So aim to make a bit over 22 litres if filling a 20 litre cube.  I also have a smaller 15 litre cube that holds about 18 litres.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I think you will be really happy with it, especially this time of year.  No-chilling over-night at ambient temperatures should have you around good pitching temperature for an ale.  If doing a lager, you can put your cube into a temperature controlled fridge set at 12°C and over-night it will settle to a perfect lager pitching temperature.

A word of note, that you might already know, my 20 litre cubes hold just a bit over 22 litres.  It is recommended you make enough wort to fill the cube to the brim, with minimal air bubbles inside.  So aim to make a bit over 22 litres if filling a 20 litre cube.  I also have a smaller 15 litre cube that holds about 18 litres.

Thanks Shamus I agree with what you say, I watched Cellar Dwellers video & he had the KL 20l & they say full to the top you can fit 23l

however it looks like at least 22l brews would be the order if you are using this method, I also noted he put the top on vert tight & turned the cube on it's side & rotated it to sterilise the whole of the container.

I think it's great as it eliminates a complete step as well as saving water & of course less cleaning.

Cheers

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I just spoke to a guy at Keg Land re: my order for No Chill 20l Cube etc as I added something else & I just happened to make a comment on the chiller as to how much water it used & he said we all use the Cubes here - so it can't be too much of a bad thing.

alot of the kegland guys also use these

kl18463_-_fresh_wort_bladder_hot_fill_bl

https://www.kegland.com.au/20l-hot-fill-wine-wort-cask-bladder-hot-cube-alternative-irradiated.html

these are bladders designed to also take wort     10x20l  bladders for $16  +postage     isnt bad price

these would also be easy storage  when they are empty waiting on the next batch...

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

these are bladders designed to also take wort     10x20l  bladders for $16  +postage     isnt bad price

these would also be easy storage  when they are empty waiting on the next batch...

Yes I am aware of them but I would rather deal with something a bit more secure, I don't want to have hot wort going everywhere, I will stick to cubes at this stage.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yes I am aware of them but I would rather deal with something a bit more secure, I don't want to have hot wort going everywhere, I will stick to cubes at this stage.

i  was just suggesting as an alternative to the cubes..   i do agree with your thoughts thoughts thou 

• Like 1

Just now, Red devil 44 said:

I no chill, AG wort after brew day into the cube overnight, next day into fermenter.

‘With my All Grains under temp control fermentation kicks off pretty quickly, within 4-6 hrs. 

I am just becoming aware of how many members are actually using them, I think they are a great idea as long as you follow correct sanitary procedures.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I am just becoming aware of how many members are actually using them, I think they are a great idea as long as you follow correct sanitary procedures.

Yeah I have a few cubes, I’m not real keen on the goon bag idea.

‘I have visions of coming downstairs to my workshop & seeing wort all over the ground after a 4-5hr AG brew day. 
‘The cube gives me more piece of mind. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

Yeah I have a few cubes, I’m not real keen on the goon bag idea.

‘I have visions of coming downstairs to my workshop & seeing wort all over the ground after a 4-5hr AG brew day. 
‘The cube gives me more piece of mind. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Hey RD how do you transfer the hot wort into the FV ? I have just ordered one of these but first time around I will have to lie it down above the FV as I have got the Tap in a Cap coming as well with the Cube, I should have ordered the siphon in that lot.

https://www.kegland.com.au/304-stainless-steel-auto-siphon-racking-cane-easy-jiggler.html

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

It would be much the same as the FWK kits that come in bladders, the plastic drums were much better & handy afterwards too.

yes they are, the difference is  you can reuse these bladders   ,  and either the cube or bladder can be handy afterwards as well these bladders are not 1 off use  .

as i said these are an alternative to use... i prefer myself like to use cubes  like RD i would be concerned of  the bag splitting in some form not necessarily from hot wort  but  from foreign matter  as to where i would sit 

basicly when you are filling a cube or the bladder  you have basicly  doing FWK the only diffence is you made your fwk

Edited by ozdevil
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Hey RD how do you transfer the hot wort into the FV ? I have just ordered one of these but first time around I will have to lie it down above the FV as I have got the Tap in a Cap coming as well with the Cube, I should have ordered the siphon in that lot.

https://www.kegland.com.au/304-stainless-steel-auto-siphon-racking-cane-easy-jiggler.html

I would use a bit of tubing attached your recirc arm of the BZ  and turn the pump on and fill  and you can control the flow by using the Blue valve   that sits near the camlock on the BZ

or just run a hose to the bottom from the spigot and just allow  it to flow and you can control the flow from the spigot

Transfering from Cube to Fv  to ferment   i then would just open up the cap fully and pour into FV   to allow airation in  for pitching yeast   as you dont have to be gentle here   

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

I would use a bit of tubing attached your recirc arm of the BZ  and turn the pump on and fill  and you can control the flow by using the Blue valve   that sits near the camlock on the BZ

or just run a hose to the bottom from the spigot and just allow  it to flow and you can control the flow from the spigot

Transfering from Cube to Fv  to ferment   i then would just open up the cap fully and pour into FV   to allow airation in  for pitching yeast   as you dont have to be gentle here   

@ozdevil with respect, I do know all of that, my main meaning was lifting it high enough to get above the FV, I have the Silicone 2m hose with a camlock fitted over the tap,  that's how I transferred it last time.

Come to think of it, I really don't know why I asked the question in the first place 🤔

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

@ozdevil with respect, I do know all of that, my main meaning was lifting it high enough to get above the FV, I have the Silicone 2m hose with a camlock fitted over the tap,  that's how I transferred it last time.

Come to think of it, I really don't know why I asked the question in the first place 🤔

If you know all this  Then why are you f%$king well asking questions

I was only trying to bloddy well help you..

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I transfer hot wort to my cube ( not fermenter ) with Food Grade, Temp rated hose. 
Next day I lay the cube sideways at a height higher than my FV, open the valve on my cube and splash into FV, allowing it to oxygenate.

‘Once at temp pitch yeast. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

I transfer hot wort to my cube ( not fermenter ) with Food Grade, Temp rated hose. 
Next day I lay the cube sideways at a height higher than my FV, open the valve on my cube and splash into FV, allowing it to oxygenate.

‘Once at temp pitch yeast. 

oop's I can see I said fermenter, I meant Cube, I have got the hoses as well so all is good. 

• Like 1