Coopers Community

All Grain for beginners

ozdevil

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Well we are away with the boil so 45 minutes to go. I am going to cube this & my expert, much appreciated help from @Itinerant Peasant & @Aussiekraut has advanced me further into the science of all of this.

This is now a pleasant way to spend Sunday morning, well & half the afternoon !!

20220515_125859.jpg

20220515_130009.jpg

pretty vigorous boil going on.      

just one advice before putting the spider in the boil  , get rid of that protein 1st  as it will stick to the fine mesh of the hop spide and may hinder the hop oils   

to get rid of that protein   just either with your mash paddle   paddle it back into the boiling wort or get your saniters spray bottle and squirt the protien back into the wort ..

some even scoop the protien out ...   i prefer to bash the protein back in  

good to also see your enjoying a quite sunday   brewing A.G   sparkling ale

Edited by ozdevil
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

just one advice before putting the spider in the boil  , get rid of that protein 1st  as it will stick to the fine mesh of the hop spide and may hinder the hop oils   

to get rid of that protein   just either with your mash paddle   paddle it back into the boiling wort or get your saniters spray bottle and squirt the protien back into the wort ..

some even scoop the protien out ...   i prefer to bash the protein back in  

good to also see your enjoying a quite sunday   brewing A.G   sparkling ale

When you say the protein are you referring to the gunky mess inside of the hop spider ? I couldn't believe how much gunk there was, even on the bottom of the BrewZilla when I cubed it.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

When you say the protein are you referring to the gunky mess inside of the hop spider ? I couldn't believe how much gunk there was, even on the bottom of the BrewZilla when I cubed it.

its just not gunk inside the Hop spider it was on the outside as well

that gunk  is what is protein mate ,  it forms when your at boiling and just with your mash paddle or spoon   or spray some sani  and that gunk will drop out back into the wort

this is why ya gotta keep an eye on the boil  as its the protein forcing the boil over

nothing wrong with the gunk being on the bottom of the brewzilla just makes a bit more cleaning

might make harder to transfer from recirc arm but if you used the tap into cube  that gunk wont effect much

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ozdevil said:

its just not gunk inside the Hop spider it was on the outside as well

that gunk  is what is protein mate ,  it forms when your at boiling and just with your mash paddle or spoon   or spray some sani  and that gunk will drop out back into the wort

this is why ya gotta keep an eye on the boil  as its the protein forcing the boil over

nothing wrong with the gunk being on the bottom of the brewzilla just makes a bit more cleaning

might make harder to transfer from recirc arm but if you used the tap into cube  that gunk wont effect much

OK then, I was doing that when I saw it forming, I would have got all of the goodness out of it as it drained back inside.

Cheers for that, you are right, makes a bloody mess - smells good though.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

OK then, I was doing that when I saw it forming, I would have got all of the goodness out of it as it drained back inside.

Cheers for that, you are right, makes a bloody mess - smells good though.

long as it smells good thats the great thing

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ozdevil said:

Just a quick one @Classic Brewing Co Phil and others - I agree here with @ozdevil all is going well - but you probably don't need to have it boiling so vigorously - Palmer suggest a "Rolling Boil" and I think - safety first - probs just do a quiet rolling boil - no need to have it going so fierce - not a criticism by any means - just a quiet safety first suggestion mate.... good stuff and Good Brewing!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Just a quick one @Classic Brewing Co Phil and others - I agree here with @ozdevil all is going well - but you probably don't need to have it boiling so vigorously - Palmer suggest a "Rolling Boil" and I think - safety first - probs just do a quiet rolling boil - no need to have it going so fierce - not a criticism by any means - just a quiet safety first suggestion mate.... good stuff and Good Brewing!

while i tend to agree with you here , i think the reason is that classic is brewing at sea level  being around the glenelg area of S.A and brewing inside where weather doesnt play apart

@Classic Brewing Co  this is easy fix what @Itinerant Peasant  is suggesting   

when it gets to boil turn the 500w element off    or set the BZ35l to around 97°c with full elements on

you are at sea level well no more then 20 metres above if i remember rightfully so of glenelg.  it does make a difference

unfortunately  this is something you have to play around with  just to get the rolling boil  

i set my bz for about 102°c  (bz 35 gen 4 goes to 120°c)   i also hove the  bz35l you have ( my partner wants me to sell it but i am trying to keep it  )

Your still learning mate,  so i am mate as well as other  experience all grainers but your doing fine

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Ok I understand I had it turned up to HH ( 99c ) but then thinking after I could have turned it down a bit, so thanks.

I think last time I had a rolling boil but this was more like a tsunami 🤣 point taken I will adjust my thinking for next brew, thank you.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

while i tend to agree with you here , i think the reason is that classic is brewing at sea level  being around the glenelg area of S.A and brewing inside where weather doesnt play apart

@Classic Brewing Co  this is easy fix what @Itinerant Peasant  is suggesting   

when it gets to boil turn the 500w element off    or set the BZ35l to around 97°c with full elements on

you are at sea level well no more then 20 metres above if i remember rightfully so of glenelg.  it does make a difference

unfortunately  this is something you have to play around with  just to get the rolling boil  

i set my bz for about 102°c  (bz 35 gen 4 goes to 120°c)   i also hove the  bz35l you have ( my partner wants me to sell it but i am trying to keep it  )

Your still learning mate,  so i am mate as well as other  experience all grainers but your doing fine

Ok Thanks but I only had the 1900w element on but it was locked into HH once I reached boil.

1 minute ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I think last time I had a rolling boil but this was more like a tsunami 🤣 point taken I will adjust my thinking for next brew, thank you.

All Good @Classic Brewing Co Phil - and @ozdevil Ozzie also reminded me about RL so where I am it is more like 790 so yeah different hey - but I think we agree - just if you can adjust - back it off a tad so the boil is rolling not volcano boil - good for everything including power consumption - yeah great discussion all ; )

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Ok Thanks but I only had the 1900w element on but it was locked into HH once I reached boil.

ok  leave 1900w on turn other 2 off   and go 99°   with boil mate

if you plan to brew in same area

outside will be different

17 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

ok  leave 1900w on turn other 2 off   and go 99°   with boil mate

That is exactly what I did. There is only one other, the 500w & when it reached boil, that got turned off ?

Brewing inside is so much easier so that is where I will be doing it from now on.

3 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

That is exactly what I did. There is only one other, the 500w & when it reached boil, that got turned off ?

Brewing inside is so much easier so that is where I will be doing it from now on.

cool , my suggestion is  doing inside as it seems you think thats great place for you

is not go HH   but mid 90's   say 96-98°c

Just now, interceptor said:

Cracker of a boil @Classic Brewing Co - boil off may be too much at that rate.
All that hotbreak is good for the beer, don't skim.

i wouldnt skim either i would be just trying to get it back into wort either by mash paddle or sani

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

57 minutes ago, interceptor said:

I didn't skim but I have realised I should have taken it of HH & set it to a lower boil temp but too late now, it's already cubed.

Cheers

• Like 2

On 5/15/2022 at 12:01 PM, Mickep said:

Sorry for the Bump on this. This is a really cool vid for anyone thinking about having a crack at BIAB AG.  And for gimpy's like me very easy to understand. Just gotta work out how to install a cheap overhead pulley system. 😂

Just now, Mickep said:

Well done Phil, good stuff. Geez mate, kegging and AG all at once. I can only marvel at your determination. You done good my man, take the rest of the day off. 🤣

Thanks Mick,

I agree, a bit to take on at once but I am wading through it, it's not so hard more getting each step right - but there's lot's of steps.

I needed a new challenge after all these years of k & k with partials/additions & decided to go all out.

I still have a lot to learn but as we all know, help is always available on this great forum.

Cheers.

• Like 2