Coopers Community

kegerator is it worth it to keep

ozdevil

Look Guys dont read into this as a big issue with kegging  its just unfortunate to me

Guys My kegerator  has had a hissy fit and has decided  it does want  to cool down anymore

some people i have spoke to have thought there is ice blocking the compressor  etc   and said defrost it for 24hours well
i did that   and it doesnt seem to want to  play fair

is it worth getting a fridgeration mechanic in or  sucking it up and purchasing new 

i'm in 2 minds which way to go   as i will have to get a fridge man to come to my place  which means its a call out fee  + whatever it will be to fix it
which maybe a new compressor unit unit.

it sucks but   this may halt my plans this week as i was planning on getting a new  gen4 bz35l  but i think the kegerator needs to be the priority 

i think it maybe wise  to be purchasing a new kegerator   atleast i can utilise my font and taps and beer line still and only have to buy the fridge itself

a bit of a loose end

• Sad 3

12 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

Look Guys dont read into this as a big issue with kegging  its just unfortunate to me

Guys My kegerator  has had a hissy fit and has decided  it does want  to cool down anymore

some people i have spoke to have thought there is ice blocking the compressor  etc   and said defrost it for 24hours well
i did that   and it doesnt seem to want to  play fair

is it worth getting a fridgeration mechanic in or  sucking it up and purchasing new 

i'm in 2 minds which way to go   as i will have to get a fridge man to come to my place  which means its a call out fee  + whatever it will be to fix it
which maybe a new compressor unit unit.

it sucks but   this may halt my plans this week as i was planning on getting a new  gen4 bz35l  but i think the kegerator needs to be the priority 

i think it maybe wise  to be purchasing a new kegerator   atleast i can utilise my font and taps and beer line still and only have to buy the fridge itself

a bit of a loose end

I don't confess to know much about Kegerators apart from the ones I have seen & poured from belonging to several mates but how old is it, I didn't think the Series 4 was that old also what about warranty ? I agree with the call out fees for tradie's they charge what the like (sorry @Red devil 44) Can you take it some where to avoid the call out fee, they probably want a book in fee though 😬

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I don't confess to know much about Kegerators apart from the ones I have seen & poured from belonging to several mates but how old is it, I didn't think the Series 4 was that old also what about warranty ? I agree with the call out fees for tradie's they charge what the like (sorry @Red devil 44) Can you take it some where to avoid the call out fee, they probably want a book in fee though 😬

its a series x i have that is the same as Mickeps  only had it 18 months and only 12 months on them for warrenty 

unfortunately i cant  take it to anyone as i have no trailer or van   hmmm the joys

• Sad 2

16 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

My old one did similar a couple of years ago or so. It still cooled down just not as cold as it used to so I was always getting warm foamy beer. I just bought a new one, conveniently they were on sale at the time. I kept the old one as a second fermentation fridge

i could do the same  but really have no space  for a 2nd fermentation fridge .

mrs oz will not want me  to keep it if  i buy a new fridge 

the funny thing i woke up yesterday morning  and  noticed the temp on 9°c   and thought hmm  whats going on and then increased   switched the fricker off   have it switched on now  
and will make the decision today

for a $465  fridge alone  it is most  likely not worth the issue of getting a fridgy in and fixing it as a new compressor will be around $250  + call out fee + labour

so my thought my dream of going the bz35l gen4 is put on back burner   and i am getting a new fridge

• Sad 1

That was my thinking, the price of a new one would be either the same or possibly lower than getting the old one fixed. I can't remember what it cost but it was under $400. Fortunately I have room for it in the patio, doesn't really look out of place out there. Not that it matters now anyway since I live alone 😂

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Mickep said:

Is this something KL should know about? OVB and Oz have the same problem about 18 months in with the kegerator....

I will be letting them Know Mickep, its out of warrenty so not much  can be done .   just pain in the backside  

I have just brought a New Series X so i should be back up and running by weeks end

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

I will be letting them Know Mickep, its out of warrenty so not much  can be done .   just pain in the backside  

I have just brought a New Series X so i should be back up and running by weeks end

I'm feeling a little bad for you Oz mate, there was a really good second hand Series X for sale about 4-5 weeks ago. Only used about 6 times and only 6 months old. And someone who shall remain nameless put me onto the deal of the century. Now that someone needs a series X kegerator.......☹️

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mickep said:

I'm feeling a little bad for you Oz mate, there was a really good second hand Series X for sale about 4-5 weeks ago. Only used about 6 times and only 6 months old. And someone who shall remain nameless put me onto the deal of the century. Now that someone needs a series X kegerator.......☹️

Always the way for me mate, my kind heart i have  always gets me into trouble that way, but 4-5 weeks ago i wasnt anticipating my fridge would go the way it has  , life mystery mate

oh well  the new fridge is being replaced as i just put the order in for a fridge replacement atleast i dont have to buy the extras

and  now i have an old series x to sell according to the Mrs OZ   as it will still be a good fridge for fermentation  but just wont be able cold crash  below 15°c

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Mickep said:

Is this something KL should know about? OVB and Oz have the same problem about 18 months in with the kegerator....

My original one I got before KL even existed, probably got about 4 years in before it started playing up. It's a bit weird, I'll set it to -4 to do a cold crash and it gets the beer down to about 2 degrees. That's why I've kept it as a fermentation fridge as it works well enough for that, I just prefer to pour my beer colder to reduce foaming and not have it sitting at 10 degrees by the time it's in the glass. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mickep said:

Exactly I remember when fridges used to last 20years + don’t seem to anymore. I have a series x  as well so not impressed with what I am hearing. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, RDT2 said:

Exactly I remember when fridges used to last 20years + don’t seem to anymore. I have a series x  as well so not impressed with what I am hearing. 

you don't make money if you sell the perfect unbreakable unbreak downable equipment anymore   

but doesnt matter what it is   its all the same throw away society   

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

My original fermentation fridge is 60+ years old and still going strong. They just don't build things to the same quality these days. 

Me too Otto, I have the old man's old Westinghouse in bought in 1990, only half as old as yours but I have chucked one within the last few years that would have only been 6-7 years old,  they certainly don't make them like they used to.

On Kegerators, it would scare some away from them if they read some of the posts on this website, for some it can be a large investment & others wouldn't be in a position to just replace them.

If you can get a 3 yr warranty on a BrewZilla why do they only offer 12 months on these units ?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Me too Otto, I have the old man's old Westinghouse in bought in 1990, only half as old as yours but I have chucked one within the last few years that would have only been 6-7 years old,  they certainly don't make them like they used to.

On Kegerators, it would scare some away from them if they read some of the posts on this website, for some it can be a large investment & others wouldn't be in a position to just replace them.

If you can get a 3 yr warranty on a BrewZilla why do they only offer 12 months on these units ?

i dont think they make the kegerators them selves just there branding on it.  i could be wrong

and thats all the manufacturer gives even though  its under kegland name

have a look at keg king  series 4 to kegland series 4 you will see they are exact same units

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

i dont think they make the kegerators them selves just there branding on it.  i could be wrong

and thats all the manufacturer gives even though  its under kegland name

have a look at keg king  series 4 to kegland series 4 you will see they are exact same units

I reckon the small print somewhere would say Made in China although in a lot of their videos they make reference to we have changed this & that etc.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, ozdevil said:

i could do the same  but really have no space  for a 2nd fermentation fridge .

But if you're only replcing the base unit, can't you sit the new one on top of the old one? Or would that mean a step ladder to reach the taps?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

But if you're only replcing the base unit, can't you sit the new one on top of the old one? Or would that mean a step ladder to reach the taps?

a step ladder to reach the the taps mate  i only have 8ft ceilings   i'll get giddy on the step ladder lol

oh where have you been hiding mate, good to see you back

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I reckon the small print somewhere would say Made in China although in a lot of their videos they make reference to we have changed this & that etc.

obviously your right "made in china"  kegland wont hid that fact they come from china

whats happened to mine could be alot of things   i ran it as the manual stated 

I'm shitty it has broken down  but i cant stay negative just move forward and hope to christ the next one lasts longer

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

That was my thinking, the price of a new one would be either the same or possibly lower than getting the old one fixed. I can't remember what it cost but it was under $400. Fortunately I have room for it in the patio, doesn't really look out of place out there. Not that it matters now anyway since I live alone 😂

• Haha 2