Coopers Community

New to Brew

Robert McKay

Hi  Just started my first attempt at brewing.   Have started a Coopers Lager that came with the kit.  Used Brew enhancer No 2 and yeast that came with the kit.   Started 8 days ago and no variation in specific gravity all seems ok.  BUT when I use the hydrometer tube, there seem to be fermentation still going on.

Do I need to degass?

Or leave alone until the bubbles do not appear?

A C appears to be 4.2% at the moment?

Any advice?

Thanks Robert

• Like 3

i thought my first batch needed degassing but that was me just drawing the sample far too quickly and general first brew nervousness - that fear i've done everthing wrong. with the ingredients you've used, you'll be fine and most likely done 🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Robert McKay said:

Hi  Just started my first attempt at brewing.   Have started a Coopers Lager that came with the kit.  Used Brew enhancer No 2 and yeast that came with the kit.   Started 8 days ago and no variation in specific gravity all seems ok.  BUT when I use the hydrometer tube, there seem to be fermentation still going on.

Do I need to degass?

Or leave alone until the bubbles do not appear?

A C appears to be 4.2% at the moment?

Any advice?

Thanks Robert

Hey mate, welcome to the forum.

after 8 days, the brew should be pretty much done and 4.2% ABV seems ok as you will add approx. 0.4-0.5% during bottle conditioning. If the SG is stable for 2 days in a row, you can go and bottle, although I would wait a few more days to allow the yeast to clean up after itself. It isn't necessary but helps making clearer beer and reducing sediment in the bottle, which has a, let's call it gaseous side effect. You'll find out after you had a few beers 🙂 

What was the temperature you fermented the beer at? Did you keep an eye on it? Temperature is important when brewing. But you'll find out.

In the mean time, welcome to the wonderful world of home brewing. It can be a disaster or a very rewarding hobby. Which one it is depends on you and your willingness to learn. The rabbit hole is deep, very deep. Once you are ready for the descent though, you're doomed. What starts as an Xmas present or a small investment in a basic brewing setup can lead to some of the best beers you have ever tasted but also a ravaged bank account 🙂 Ask around here 🙂 

Edited by Aussiekraut
  • Like 6
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

after 8 days, the brew should be pretty much done and 4.2% ABV seems ok as you will add approx. 0.4-0.5% during bottle conditioning. If the SG is stable for 2 days in a row, you can go and bottle, although I would wait a few more days to allow the yeast to clean up after itself. It isn't necessary but helps making clearer beer and reducing sediment in the bottle, which has a, let's call it gaseous side effect. You'll find out after you had a few beers 🙂 

What was the temperature you fermented the beer at? Did you keep an eye on it? Temperature is important when brewing. But you'll find out.

In the mean time, welcome to the wonderful world of home brewing. It can be a disaster or a very rewarding hobby. Which one it is depends on you and your willingness to learn. The rabbit hole is deep, very deep. Once you are ready for the descent though, you're doomed. What starts as an Xmas present or a small investment in a basic brewing setup can lead to some of the best beers you have ever tasted but also a ravaged bank account 🙂 Ask around here 🙂 

Thanks one and all for the advice.  will go ahead and bottle on Sunday.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Temp was between 20 to 24 C

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Robert McKay said:

Temp was between 20 to 24 C

That's OK. Try not to let it get higher. IF it gets too warm, you can employ a swamp cooler. A wet towel wrapped around the fermentor and a fan blowing on it. That'll help keep the temperature down. But once it has finished fermenting, temperature is not that important anymore. 

Edited by Aussiekraut
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, oldbloke said:

Actually, i need to correct my statement above.

Do at least another 5 or 6 batches ASAP. 😉

I've brought a few Coopers mexican cerveza kits to get my stocks going.  They seem to taste OK but most importantly they brew real quick - and that's what I need until I build stocks up.  Otherwise I'll be sober and that's not good for anyone.

Once I've got a a couple of hundred half litres stashed around the house then I'll experiment.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Cee said:

Any favourite hop ideas for that one?

I recently used Pacifica hops in a Cerveza and it worked well.

Two reasons for using Pacifica:

1. It's what I had at home.

2. They have a citrus flavour profile that I figured could substitute for a lemon wedge in the bottle.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hello Robert McKay and other new brewers,

After getting a Coopers brew kit for Christmas, I bottled my very first brew on Sat 23rd Jan with a FG (already talking the talk!) of 1.005 for two days. This was only day 8 for the brew, and it was cloudy going into the plastic bottles that came with the kit.  Controlling temperature was my big challenge, as it was 36deg outside when I started, and 26deg in the laundry where I was set up. I wrapped the FV in a wet towel with a fan blowing in it and got the brew temp down to 22deg.  The bottling valve leaked, but was still useable. Now I'm waiting for Sun. 6th Feb to try. This forum is great for info and friendly support. Thanks all

• Like 6

1 hour ago, jennyss said:

After getting a Coopers brew kit for Christmas, I bottled my very first brew on Sat 23rd Jan with a FG (already talking the talk!) of 1.005 for two days. This was only day 8 for the brew, and it was cloudy going into the plastic bottles that came with the kit.  Controlling temperature was my big challenge, as it was 36deg outside when I started, and 26deg in the laundry where I was set up. I wrapped the FV in a wet towel with a fan blowing in it and got the brew temp down to 22deg.  The bottling valve leaked, but was still useable. Now I'm waiting for Sun. 6th Feb to try. This forum is great for info and friendly support. Thanks all

For a beginner you sound like you've got pretty good grasp of things already @jennyss. Well done.
Your beer will clear up just nicely after a few weeks in the bottle, so don't worry about it being cloudy going in.
And going by your moniker can we assume you're a lady? That's great if you are. This forum is very heavy with male contributors so it's good to increase the diversity. Welcome.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Dear @MUZZY and @DavidM,

Yes I am an old girl; making beer for saving money reasons. It is quite funny to realise that home-brewing can range from penny-pinching to bottomless money draining pit! I have been making jams, marmalades and pickles over the last few years; and I enjoy the challenge of balancing ingredients and heat and bottling. 

I made my first brew straight from the Coopers recipe that came with the box; and I watched several youtube videos before I found this forum. 

• Like 9

On 1/14/2022 at 6:56 AM, Aussiekraut said:

On 1/15/2022 at 12:04 PM, Space said:

I've brought a few Coopers mexican cerveza kits to get my stocks going.  They seem to taste OK but most importantly they brew real quick - and that's what I need until I build stocks up.  Otherwise I'll be sober and that's not good for anyone.

Once I've got a a couple of hundred half litres stashed around the house then I'll experiment.

Did one batch with 10grs Citra hops dry hopping. Many said it was too little the 10grs...but I found it amazing, that little touch added the exact taste I wanted.....

I think it's better to start with a little and then  add....the other way around is impossible!!!!!

Regards

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MUZZY said:

Hahaha @jennyss. It's amazing how much money you can blow on saving money making beer. Many on here refer to brewing as THE RABBIT HOLE. Once you venture in it seems like it never ends.

Yeah it’s not what you spend, it’s what you save right???

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, jennyss said:

Dear @MUZZY and @DavidM,

Yes I am an old girl; making beer for saving money reasons. It is quite funny to realise that home-brewing can range from penny-pinching to bottomless money draining pit! I have been making jams, marmalades and pickles over the last few years; and I enjoy the challenge of balancing ingredients and heat and bottling. 

I made my first brew straight from the Coopers recipe that came with the box; and I watched several youtube videos before I found this forum. 

Good to see another lady on the forum @jennyss  keep the posts going & we will see if your beer is any good 🤣  I am sure it will be so good luck with it & send us a few pics.

Cheers

Phil

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, jennyss said:

Welcome to the forum and the wonderful hobby of home brewing. 

Home brewing ranges from the "I just want to save a few bucks and make my own beer" approach all the way to the "I got lost in the bottomless rabbit hole of home brewing, always pursuing the best possible beer I can make". Most people here are somewhere in the middle, either just about to enter said rabbit hole or found some footing on the way down 🙂 

You're at the right place here. We all started at the same point and went as far as we wanted to, while some are still going 🙂 Most of us are happy where they are though.

Happy brewing

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1