Coopers Community

Muzzy Method 2.0©️ copyright and patents pending

Malter White

Regular visitors here might be familiar with my bottle priming process of adding one Coopers carbonation drop and one CSR sugar cube per 750ml PET bottle to attain a higher level of carbonation. One wag affectionately called it the Muzzy Method.

So in the name of experimentation and possibly more efficient and economical priming I have undertaken Muzzy Method 2.0 on 6 bottles of Pale Ale and added just 2 CSR sugar cubes per bottle. The aim is to discover if this is too much priming sugar or not. It roughly equates to 12g per litre. I'm hoping all 6 bottles will remain intact and not break their lid seal.

I'll report back in a few weeks with my findings.

*Not recommended for glass bottles as the danger of explosion poses a risk.

IMG_20210809_111138.jpg

Edited by MUZZY
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

Regular visitors here might be familiar with my bottle priming process of adding one Coopers carbonation drop and one CSR sugar cube per 750ml PET bottle to attain a higher level of carbonation. One wag affectionately called it the Muzzy Method.

So in the name of experimentation and possibly more efficient and economical priming I have undertaken Muzzy Method 2.0 on 6 bottles of Pale Ale and added just 2 CSR sugar cubes per bottle. The aim is to discover if this is too much priming sugar or not. It roughly equates to 12g per litre. I'm hoping all 6 bottles will remain intact and not break their lid seal.

It will be interesting to see the outcome @MUZZY  some time back I also started experimenting with carbonation, mainly labelling some bottles 2 x carb drops & the others marked sugar.

I used a full Brigalow scoop which is roughly equivalent to 2 x carb drops & found the sugar not only went to work quicker, it produced a much better result. Now all I use is white sugar, the same amount in every brew PET/Longneck Glass/Grolsch etc. I have never used sugar cubes so I cannot comment.

All the best & good luck with your roof replacement costs. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

It will be interesting to see the outcome @MUZZY  some time back I also started experimenting with carbonation, mainly labelling some bottles 2 x carb drops & the others marked sugar.

I used a full Brigalow scoop which is roughly equivalent to 2 x carb drops & found the sugar not only went to work quicker, it produced a much better result. Now all I use is white sugar, the same amount in every brew PET/Longneck Glass/Grolsch etc. I have never used sugar cubes so I cannot comment.

All the best & good luck with your roof replacement costs. 🤣

I haven't used regular sugar in over 20 years. Although I like the economics of using it I remember the frustrations I had when using it - my funnel clogging up etc. It was just too fiddly for me. The few extra cents for carb drops or cubes is offset by my peace of mind.
Being an exclusive PET bottler I think my ceiling will be safe.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12g per litre?!. I fear for your safety oh Muzzled One. I use about half that in my dark beers ,and just bit more for pales.I bulk prime with dextrose. It’s the only method I’ve used and carbonation has never been a problem. It just happens beautifully every time. I have gone on a bit in the past about the advantages of this method, and would do so again here, ,but this particular horse seems to be not very well, I will let him rest. Keep safe.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MUZZY said:

IMG_20210809_111138.jpg

Muzzy, find some comfort in the fact that I bulk prime the brew at 10grams of sugar per liter. Never had a problem. Wonder if I used glass if it would create lil' B Bombs. Good luck with the trial mate.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mickep said:

Muzzy, find some comfort in the fact that I bulk prime the brew at 10grams of sugar per liter. Never had a problem. Wonder if I used glass if it would create lil' B Bombs. Good luck with the trial mate.

Interesting the priming levels you fellows are using. Early on I primed a brew at 9gl as a trial and found there was too much CO2 bite for my taste. All good for Coke maybe, but not for beer I reckon. I use 6-61/2 gl for dark brews and 8 gl, at the most for pales. This gives me all the fizz I need. Of course, the wonderful thing about home brewing is that we can please ourselves. Let’s all go on doing that.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MUZZY said:

IMG_20210809_111138.jpg

Gunna try this on my current brew - i like a good fizz. Hey Muzzy, i see the caps still have the anti tamper ring attached. Any problems with the odd softie (careful!).

@Worts and all I'm quite happy with my carbonation levels as they are but I wanted to try just sugar cubes to try simplify the process. If they end up too fizzy I'll revert back.

@Spursman I get the occasional soft bottle, maybe 1 in a 100, but I've never attributed them to the neck rings. They always seem to have good connection. I only remove neck rings when I use a new lid.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Spursman said:

Gunna try this on my current brew - i like a good fizz. Hey Muzzy, i see the caps still have the anti tamper ring attached. Any problems with the odd softie (careful!).

Spursman, I've now got a whole heap of these bottles with the bottle top collar interfering with the airtightness of the PETS. I know The admin team suggested cutting the collar off the top before use just recently in a post about this.  What I've been saying is that some of the collars from some of the Coopers batches of bottles (Big W)  don't seem to be aligned when tightened all the way down to the bottle neck ring. They jam and warp the seal slightly so you end up with flat beer. I know the work around this is to cut the collars off but there does seem to be a manufacturing issue with either the bottles at the ring on the neck or the bottle tops themselves at the collar. It seems or feels to me like the tops or the collar of the top is a couple of mls too large for the space allowed between the lip of the bottle and the ring at the neck. 

I am still struggling to see why some of you guys are struggling with PET bottles, I have them in use constantly without issues. In earlier posts I have stated I am running 3 brands ATM & I do try to use the grey lids on the Morgan's bottles which are the full 750ml & a slightly different shape & colour, the same with the MJ bottles, of course they get mixed up with different bottling sessions, but still no issues. I always remove the collar left from a new cap & pretty much all of my bottles are 'collarless'.

Maybe I have been kissed by a Fairy. 🧚‍♀️

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, MUZZY said:

IMG_20210809_111138.jpg

@MUZZY mate I dissolve 8g / liter in water, cool it and put it in a clean FV, and siphon off the finished beer on top. That seems to mix it reasonably well. I stir it a bit but not too much so as to get loads of oxygen in. Then I bottle with 33cl glass bottles, ideally Belgian Trappist ones (can't get PETs here)

If it's a keeper I end up with gushers at 8g per litre after about 6 months, so I downgrade the sugar in them to about 5g/l. But that also means I have to wait for whole lot. In that case using different doses of sugar / carb drops would make sense and make sure I label the bottles correctly.

Had a bit of fun with bottle grenades when I used cheaper bottles 😉

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stquinto said:

@MUZZY mate I dissolve 8g / liter in water, cool it and put it in a clean FV, and siphon off the finished beer on top. That seems to mix it reasonably well. I stir it a bit but not too much so as to get loads of oxygen in. Then I bottle with 33cl glass bottles, ideally Belgian Trappist ones (can't get PETs here)

If it's a keeper I end up with gushers at 8g per litre after about 6 months, so I downgrade the sugar in them to about 5g/l. But that also means I have to wait for whole lot. In that case using different doses of sugar / carb drops would make sense and make sure I label the bottles correctly.

Had a bit of fun with bottle grenades when I used cheaper bottles 😉

Thanks Dave. I'm quite aware of the process of bulk priming and all power to those that do it. I just like the simplicity of carb drops/cubes and that's why I've done this little experiment. Two cubes is simpler than doing one of each. I can do two drops to keep things simple but I find two drops doesn't provide enough fizz for my liking.
I drink all my beers in order of manufacture so they don't sit around longer than 2 months most of the time. I'm probably a lower chance of getting gushers.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

I always remove the collar left from a new cap & pretty much all of my bottles are 'collarless'.

17 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

I am still struggling to see why some of you guys are struggling with PET bottles, I have them in use constantly without issues.

Well then Classic, that is why you're not struggling. Perhaps the idea of removing the collar as suggested by the Coopers admin team before their use is good practice and I think that's what my post was about - sharing that info. As you have.

However there seems to be an issue with the product. Because when the top is tightened fully with the collar left on some batches of the bottles and their tops won't allow for an airtight close. The collar warps and the collar then is jammed between the top and the bottle ring. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mickep said:

Well then Classic, that is why you're not struggling. Perhaps the idea of removing the collar as suggested by the Coopers admin team before their use is good practice and I think that's what my post was about - sharing that info. As you have.

However there seems to be an issue with the product. Because when the top is tightened fully with the collar left on some batches of the bottles and their tops won't allow for an airtight close. The collar warps and the collar then is jammed between the top and the bottle ring. 

Yes I agree, I have been removing the collar on all of my PET bottles for years, recently I bought a few boxes of Coopers & Morgan's just to boost my bottle stock.  The last couple of batches meant some of them were still intact, by the time the cycle goes around they will all be the same. I definitely agree to tighten the cap fully on some of them with the collar intact is impossible for a tight seal, particularly mixing brands.

• Like 2

On 8/10/2021 at 8:07 AM, Mickep said:

Wait , what was the advice from coopers? You break off the break-away part of the lids before first use? 

Really? And logically if thats the case, and i have not done that and i have 120 bottles (of beer on the wall)  all with black plastic things on them, i should snip them off?

I assume this is to make a better seal right?

4 minutes ago, BreweyMcHops said:

Wait , what was the advice from coopers? You break off the break-away part of the lids before first use? 

Really? And logically if thats the case, and i have not done that and i have 120 bottles (of beer on the wall)  all with black plastic things on them, i should snip them off?

Correct BMaccaHops,

I'll try and dig up the thread where that was posted by the Admin Team. I'd also received an email from them stating that as well. So yes remove the collar of the new bottle tops before use. And do remove the collar from the bottles as well. This apparently should ensure an airtight seal. A lot of folk here who bottle with the Coopers PETS use a small snub-nosed pair of pliers to cut through the plastic.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Mickep said:

Correct BMaccaHops,

I'll try and dig up the thread where that was posted by the Admin Team. I'd also received an email from them stating that as well. So yes remove the collar of the new bottle tops before use. And do remove the collar from the bottles as well. This apparently should ensure an airtight seal. A lot of folk here who bottle with the Coopers PETS use a small snub-nosed pair of pliers to cut through the plastic.

Cheers!!! I appreciate the advice

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Mickep said:
1 hour ago, BreweyMcHops said:

Correct BMaccaHops,

Muzzy @MUZZY mate, sorry this is off topic def not trying to derail the thread so I apologise in advance. 

Here you go @BreweyMcHops

Coopers Bottles.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1