Coopers Community

Muzzy Method 2.0©️ copyright and patents pending

Malter White

@MUZZY 2 x CSR cubes of white sugar will be fine in a 740 ml PET bottle.  In the past I have done 2 x Coopers carb drops plus 1 x cube CSR white sugar and it was no big deal.   In fact after 1 month it was about where it needed to be IMO.  With 2 x CSR cubes of white sugar you will be in the ball park with PETS if you are going to drink them early. 

Would not do this if you are lagering or storing say a stout for a much longer period but for the quaffing beers definitely the way to go.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

@MUZZY 2 x CSR cubes of white sugar will be fine in a 740 ml PET bottle.  In the past I have done 2 x Coopers carb drops plus 1 x cube CSR white sugar and it was no big deal.   In fact after 1 month it was about where it needed to be IMO.  With 2 x CSR cubes of white sugar you will be in the ball park with PETS if you are going to drink them early. 

Would not do this if you are lagering or storing say a stout for a much longer period but for the quaffing beers definitely the way to go.

Thanks Al. That's encouraging to know.
My beers don't usually sit around for longer than 2-3 months. I drink them chronologically. I've never tried true lagering due to my impatience. I guess the question now will be whether I like the amount of carbonation 2 x CSR brings to the beer.

On 8/13/2021 at 10:36 PM, MUZZY said:

Thanks Al. That's encouraging to know.
My beers don't usually sit around for longer than 2-3 months. I drink them chronologically. I've never tried true lagering due to my impatience. I guess the question now will be whether I like the amount of carbonation 2 x CSR brings to the beer.

Much the same for me Muzzy but i usually start drinking a batch after a month or so. Ive just bottled MJ pale ale and took the plunge with 2 csr cubes and the bottles are quite firm after 3 days.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spursman said:

Much the same for me Muzzy but i usually start drinking a batch after a month or so. Ive just bottled MJ pale ale and took the plunge with 2 csr cubes and the bottles are quite firm after 3 days.

Ah yes, your comment has reminded me I must check the bottles I did with two cubes to see how they're going.

I know some people prime with raw sugar in stouts has anyone ever done this in a pale ale and noticed a taste difference? guess I'll find out my double Mr beer NW is going in bottles as not a spare keg and when I do it's reserved for another lager.

Hey @jamiek86I haven’t tried priming with raw sugar but might be a good experiment. 
Why don’t you prime a few bottles with raw sugar and the rest with your usual routine and see if you notice a difference. Report back with results…all for the benefit of you and your fellow brewers of course. 
I recently bottled half a batch with carb drops and half a batch with white sugar but haven’t tried them yet to compare. I think @Classic Brewing CoPhil has done this though and prefers the sugar?

1 minute ago, Tone boy said:

I think @Classic Brewing CoPhil has done this though and prefers the sugar?

Yep all I use now is white sugar, as I have said those of you who re-use yeast may disagree but I figure the ingredients for a brew don't cost that much especially if you frequent different LHBS as I do & come across sale or discounted items, therefore I am saving more & also not buying carb drops, I spend it on fresh/speciality yeast instead.

@Tone boy @Classic Brewing Co well i guess i will be the guinea pig as i have 25 500 ml swing tops and 4 750 ml PET all with raw sugar awaiting a taste test in about 2 weeks. Couldnt be bothered going to shops and had just enough to finish it off. Now lets see if post works this time without having to do heaps of different things and log off and back on again 🤬

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

@Tone boy @Classic Brewing Co well i guess i will be the guinea pig as i have 25 500 ml swing tops and 4 750 ml PET all with raw sugar awaiting a taste test in about 2 weeks. Couldnt be bothered going to shops and had just enough to finish it off. Now lets see if post works this time without having to do heaps of different things and log off and back on again 🤬

Hey Jamie, I have only ever used white sugar, I will be interested to see how yours turn out & your comments on the taste, like you say, you will be the guinea pig, so I will wait to hear what you say before I add raw sugar to anything. 🤣

I agree about the @#*!! XX  around logging on & off.

Cheers.

I put a couple of the 2 x CSR cube primed bottles in the fridge this morning and I'll give them a try tonight. Even if they are nice to drink I think the 2 x CSR idea will be shelved. The bottles feel very, very tight and although nothing has gone wrong yet, my gut feeling says they are a failure just waiting to happen.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

56 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

I put a couple of the 2 x CSR cube primed bottles in the fridge this morning and I'll give them a try tonight. Even if they are nice to drink I think the 2 x CSR idea will be shelved. The bottles feel very, very tight and although nothing has gone wrong yet, my gut feeling says they are a failure just waiting to happen.

Maybe open them outside? 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

Maybe open them outside? 🙂 

My gut feeling may have been wrong. The carbonation level is good and the bead is quite fine. No zooshing out the top of the bottle. The beer is only 16 days old so the flavour has that immatureness we get from young beer.
I still have 4 more bottles with 2 x CSR cubes and I'll leave them a few weeks before drinking them. Fingers crossed they can retain their seals.

6 hours ago, MUZZY said:

My gut feeling may have been wrong. The carbonation level is good and the bead is quite fine. No zooshing out the top of the bottle. The beer is only 16 days old so the flavour has that immatureness we get from young beer.
I still have 4 more bottles with 2 x CSR cubes and I'll leave them a few weeks before drinking them. Fingers crossed they can retain their seals.

Interesting experiment Muzzy. I am thinking of upping the prime rate as well from 6gm white sugar to 8 gm.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Barramullafella said:

Interesting experiment Muzzy. I am thinking of upping the prime rate as well from 6gm white sugar to 8 gm.

Hi Barra,
I use around 8g usually ie. 1 x carb drop + 1 x sugar cube and it's a good level of carbonation for my liking but be aware I only use PET bottles. If you plan on using glass bottles please use caution.

Edited by MUZZY
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, MUZZY said:

Fingers crossed they can retain their seals.

My experience with over-carb'd PET's is the lids/seals stay intact.  It's the arse end of the bottle that suffers!  I had several instances of micro-leaks and a few that blew the entire bottom of the bottle out!  

Edited by BlackSands
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1