Coopers Community

Muzzy Method 2.0©️ copyright and patents pending

Malter White

1 hour ago, BlackSands said:

My experience with over-carb'd PET's is the lids/seals stay intact.  It's the arse end of the bottle that suffers!  I had several instances of micro-leaks and a few that blew the entire bottom of the bottle out!  

Oh wow! My fingers are double crossed now. On the positive side, at least there won't be shards of glass to clean up if they do blow.

16 hours ago, MUZZY said:

My gut feeling may have been wrong. The carbonation level is good and the bead is quite fine. No zooshing out the top of the bottle. The beer is only 16 days old so the flavour has that immatureness we get from young beer.
I still have 4 more bottles with 2 x CSR cubes and I'll leave them a few weeks before drinking them. Fingers crossed they can retain their seals.

You are a drama queen @MUZZY😂 I told you they would be fine.  Below pic is and over carbed ginger beer showing huge bulge as compared to bottle of Lager with 2 x carb drops and 1 x CSR sugar cube.  I think you will find your 2 x CSR sugar cubes will become your norm if you want to drink your beers in under 4 weeks.

Ginger beer bottle on the right is so proud it has puffed its chest out to a massive 28 cm and take note of the head space created by the pressure.  It was originally filled to 1 cm of the top.

PET Bottle Bulge - resized.jpg

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

Today marks 3 weeks since I bottled this beer and I'm drinking the remaining bottles primed with 2 sugar cubes. None of the bottles have burst or gone flat. The carbonation level is good and the flavour has now mellowed. I've actually made a pretty good pale ale.
I said a week or so ago I'd shelve the 2 sugar cube priming method because I was worried about bottles failing but I'm going to backflip again. Muzz says 2 sugar cubes is an OK thing and it will be done again.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/30/2021 at 10:39 PM, MUZZY said:

Today marks 3 weeks since I bottled this beer and I'm drinking the remaining bottles primed with 2 sugar cubes. None of the bottles have burst or gone flat. The carbonation level is good and the flavour has now mellowed. I've actually made a pretty good pale ale.
I said a week or so ago I'd shelve the 2 sugar cube priming method because I was worried about bottles failing but I'm going to backflip again. Muzz says 2 sugar cubes is an OK thing and it will be done again.

Mate, have used the 2 cube method on my last few brews and very happy with carbonation. I reckon you've cracked it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MUZZY said:

Are you using glass or PET bottles, Spursman?

PETS mate. Still get the odd failure - bottle tops suspected. When the failures get frequent enough to be a concern I just replace every one of them after drinking whether they need it or not (90 bottles in my case) - cheap enough to do.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 8/24/2021 at 8:45 AM, jamiek86 said:

I know some people prime with raw sugar in stouts has anyone ever done this in a pale ale and noticed a taste difference? guess I'll find out my double Mr beer NW is going in bottles as not a spare keg and when I do it's reserved for another lager.

You can prime anything with plain cheap white table shugar and it works a treat . Perfect. No trouble with taste 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BreweyMcHops said:

You can prime anything with plain cheap white table shugar and it works a treat . Perfect. No trouble with taste 

yes I ran out though once so used raw sugar in the pale it wasn't too bad but hard to say if different or not because didn't have direct comparison next to it. My guess Is that it alters taste a little but who really knows.

• 11 months later...
16 minutes ago, Cee said:

Strewth...

Muuuzzzyyyyy!!!!!!

Can confirm this method works

Note to self: adapt pouring methods to match Muzzy Method of carbing

Strewth... Muuuzzzyyyyy!!!.jpg

Gee, this is troubling because I announced this under my former pseudonym of Muzzy. Now I'm Malter White should it be called the Malter White Meth-od?🤣

• Haha 5

31 minutes ago, Malter White said:

Gee, this is troubling because I announced this under my former pseudonym of Muzzy. Now I'm Malter White should it be called the Malter White Meth-od?🤣

I have never even seen these sugar cubes are they near the actual sugar in a supermarket? sometimes things you would expect to be close by are not. just threw out 1/4 bag of carb drops. ants decided to get into it after never doing it before.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

I have never even seen these sugar cubes are they near the actual sugar in a supermarket? sometimes things you would expect to be close by are not. just threw out 1/4 bag of carb drops. ants decided to get into it after never doing it before.

Yes CSR normal supermarket sugarcubes

CSR White Sugar Cubes 450g | Woolworths

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

Yes, Uhtred. In the sugar section but are you in Australia? Maybe they're an Aussie thing only.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Malter White said:

Please no

My neurons can handle only so much

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Malter White said:

@Malter White please refrain from infringing on trade marks and copyrights of other persons or entities.  Now that you are no longer "The Muzz" you have foregone any claims to the aforementioned method of carbing PET bottles so hence all trade marks, copyrights and royalty's since such name change now, by default, belong to me.  (please read the contract fine print).

Also any commissions I have long held in trust and good faith, hidden away from pokies and horse betting, since the 'ideas' inception will also be garnished in my favor. (also in the fine print).

Please cease forthwith MW.  You have now been served! ha ha🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, iBooz2 said:

@Malter White please refrain from infringing on trade marks and copyrights of other persons or entities.  Now that you are no longer "The Muzz" you have foregone any claims to the aforementioned method of carbing PET bottles so hence all trade marks, copyrights and royalty's since such name change now, by default, belong to me.  (please read the contract fine print).

Also any commissions I have long held in trust and good faith, hidden away from pokies and horse betting, since the 'ideas' inception will also be garnished in my favor. (also in the fine print).

Please cease forthwith MW.  You have now been served! ha ha🤣

If I could afford a lawyer, you'd be hearing from him!😆

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

Yeah in Aus but I rarely find what I'm looking for let alone things that I'm not.

I should add that many Coles stores (SA) don't stock them anymore but I can still get them at Woolies, Drakes and Foodland. Aldi have never had them as far as I know.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Malter White said:

I should add that many Coles stores (SA) don't stock them anymore but I can still get them at Woolies, Drakes and Foodland. Aldi have never had them as far as I know.

Don't bottle much now but think ill stick to the measure and plain white sugar when I do. After ants attacking my carb drop bag wrapped up in rubber bands. They are convenient but rather costly compared to measuring it out of 2kg bag. If I do see one I may try but store in sealed container once opened.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

Don't bottle much now but think ill stick to the measure and plain white sugar when I do. After ants attacking my carb drop bag wrapped up in rubber bands. They are convenient but rather costly compared to measuring it out of 2kg bag. If I do see one I may try but store in sealed container once opened.

Simple and convenient but, yes, rather costly in the scheme of things. When you're making beer for around 80-90c per long neck, adding 9 cents for two sugar cubes doesn't make economic sense but 9c a bottle is a price I'm prepared to pay to bypass the fiddling with sugar measures and funnels.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Malter White said:

Simple and convenient but, yes, rather costly in the scheme of things. When you're making beer for around 80-90c per long neck, adding 9 cents for two sugar cubes doesn't make economic sense but 9c a bottle is a price I'm prepared to pay to bypass the fiddling with sugar measures and funnels.

Yes you are still saving and it has the advantages. When I bottled all the time I measured it out. 

When I started kegging but doing a few bottles each batch I used the carb  drops. I was cutting one in half to have 2.5 carb drops a longneck wish I had seen this post before.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, jennyss said:

When bottling, my husband adds the sugar while I am filling; but he makes sure the  sugar measure is very dry after sanitising so that no sugar is sticking. This method works for us.

That's good @jennyss you have a system & I am glad you guys have it working, it is clockwork if you are prepared to take the trouble to organise everything to make things easier.

There are & never will be shortcuts in home brewing, all that does is produce inferior beers that not only look like home brew, they taste like it.

Well done & happy brewing.

• Like 2