Coopers Community

What's on the Menu

Classic Brewing Co

8 hours ago, Mickep said:

Did ya mortgage the house to buy the fresh flathead tails mate - I'm finding them a tad expensive lately. Meal looks just beautiful and healthy too.

I agree it looks good, I love Flathead but seriously even Coles & Woolworths sell Blue Grenadier, see below ...

The texture, taste are both very similar & I fond them to be a good alterative & the are a hell of lot cheaper.

FLATHEAD Smaller species of Flathead have many similarities to Blue Grenadier. They are soft, flake lightly and easily and remain moist when cooked correctly. Low oilyness makes it suitable to frying. When frying, a protective coating such as a batter or crumb is recommended to protect the flesh from drying out.

https://goodfishbadfish.com.au/fish/blue-grenadier

Blue Grenadier - Good Fish Bad Fish

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Mickep said:

Just WOWZA! They look awesome mate. Any tips for the pie pastry base. These put mine to shame. 

Cheers mate.

I only used the frozen stuff from Woolies, i will be making my own when time allows haha.

With the base i found i needed to pre-cook for about 5mins as the shortcrust pastry was still a little uncooked if going in the oven all at once. I'm still practicing myself as i'll be attending a market soon and selling them so a bit more practice needed. All in all i was preety impressed, had to try about 3kg of brisket worth trying to perfect the selection of cheeses and gravy haha, was a terrible job..

• Like 4

Just now, Hoppy81 said:
24 minutes ago, Mickep said:

Just WOWZA! They look awesome mate. Any tips for the pie pastry base. These put mine to shame. 

Cheers mate.

I only used the frozen stuff from Woolies, i will be making my own when time allows haha.

With the base i found i needed to pre-cook for about 5mins as the shortcrust pastry was still a little uncooked if going in the oven all at once. I'm still practicing myself as i'll be attending a market soon and selling them so a bit more practice needed. All in all i was preety impressed, had to try about 3kg of brisket worth trying to perfect the selection of cheeses and gravy haha, was a terrible job..

Hoppy @Hoppy81, I've been using the frozen stuff my self, are you using shortcrust for the base or are you using Puff for the top and bottom? I've been having huge issues getting the shortcrust pastry into the pie tins without it tearing and cracking up and falling apart. Any tips? I make sure it's defrosted properly (in the fridge overnight) and still have problems - even buy the decent stuff like Pampus.

Anyway you should be really proud of your pies mate, they do look magnificent.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Mickep said:

are you using shortcrust for the base or are you using Puff for the top and bottom?

Hoppy, I should pay more attention to the posts 😂

Knocked up a few Brisket, Cheese and gravy pies this week, used shortcrust for the base and puff for the lid.

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Mickep said:

Hoppy @Hoppy81, I've been using the frozen stuff my self, are you using shortcrust for the base or are you using Puff for the top and bottom? I've been having huge issues getting the shortcrust pastry into the pie tins without it tearing and cracking up and falling apart. Any tips? I make sure it's defrosted properly (in the fridge overnight) and still have problems - even buy the decent stuff like Pampus.

Anyway you should be really proud of your pies mate, they do look magnificent.

Yeah, Shortcrust is a pain on the base i've found, i just let it semi defrost and gradually work it in the tin. When i pre-cook them i'm also using pastry weights to hold it in place, so much easier using puff all round but i think the shortbread adds that extra depth to the pie.

Cheers mate, appreciate the kind words.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Local fresh Flathead tails coated with Panko bread crumbs (with added teaspoon of Taco seasoning) all shallow fried in peanut oil.  Then placed in wholemeal mini wraps along with some cos lettuce, avocado, cucumber, red onion and the lot drizzled with Chipotle Aioli.

Very nice after a few ales and accompanied with some Chardonnay.

Panko Crumbed Flathead Tails Wrap 2 - resized.png

Panko Crumbed Flathead Tails Wrap 1 - resized.png

Awesome stuff mate!!! Take the rest of the day off 😆

• Haha 2

Cooked this yesterday for a family gathering brisket on the right and pulled pork on the left. Turned out really nice! While these two were resting I used the coals that were burning already to cook chicken wings with high indirect heat! Then dad and I knocked over the remains of the German Pilsner which he loved! 

C05F6D06-702B-41D5-98E9-94C18B585D9B.jpeg

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, RDT2 said:

Cooked this yesterday for a family gathering brisket on the right and pulled pork on the left. Turned out really nice! While these two were resting I used the coals that were burning already to cook chicken wings with high indirect heat! Then dad and I knocked over the remains of the German Pilsner which he loved! 

Looks bloody amazing RDT2 @RDT2  - salivating just looking at the pic. Haven't done a brisket all winter (Victoria) but spring is in the air - well apart from the flooding rains we're having. Time to fire up the smoker me thinks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, RDT2 said:

Sensational mate, looks the goods.

This was the end result of the small brisket i cooked for the pies, was very impressed with it.

My next cook-up is a fairly large 8.8kg Brisket and 2 x 4.5kg Boston butts, going to be a long day haha.

20221009_183834.jpg

20221009_183959.jpg

20221009_184414.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Hoppy81 said:

This was the end result of the small brisket i cooked for the pies, was very impressed with it.

My next cook-up is a fairly large 8.8kg Brisket and 2 x 4.5kg Boston butts, going to be a long day haha.

20221009_183834.jpg

20221009_183959.jpg

20221009_184414.jpg

Thanks mate looks good sounds like your in for a big day. I went for two pieces of meat rather than a one bigger piece as I had to have it ready for lunchtime! I started it at 5:30am had it resting at 11:30ish.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Hoppy81 said:

Nice lookin meat Hoppy, I also like the cutting board, where did you get that 🤭

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Hoppy81 said:

20221009_183834.jpg

20221009_183959.jpg

20221009_184414.jpg

Ya killin' us Hoppy mate - can't compete with that. Just beautiful. A work of art!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Mickep said:

Beautiful work Sainter, Beef looks just perfect mate. Take the rest of the week off.

Thanks mate, might just do that, it’s the kids holidays here and we’re off to Italy. Actually next week, but close enough 😆

• Haha 2