Coopers Community

uncle Toby's rolled oats in beer

jamiek86

Hello all I was just reading a thread and @Stickers had an interesting link to all the specially grains and normal grains.  it included if they need to be steeped or mashed i noticed all the different oats flaked or naked or malted said had to be mashed even though there for head retention and body.  so my question is can I use good old uncle tobys rolled oats in its place or does it have to be malted for brewing purposes? has anyone done this before or used oats in brewing? I'm going to have look at ROTM im sure I seen somewhere could get oats and steep them but would like to know what category rolled oats came under. help from all gainers or experienced partial mashers please. @Shamus O'Sean @Bearded Burbler @Otto Von Blotto @Red devil 44 @MUZZY

11 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

Rolled oats are ideal to use but I won't advise on how you should use them. My only attempt using them never really added much to my beer. I'm not really qualified.

how much did you use and was it a 30 min steep or hour mash?

They don’t have to be malted but it may be best to use Quick Oats as these have already been gelatinised.

If steeping them on their own then you will really only extract starches so I would suggest you steep then with some base malt. Somewhere around 65° or so for 30 minutes should be fine.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hairy said:

They don’t have to be malted but it may be best to use Quick Oats as these have already been gelatinised.

If steeping them on their own then you will really only extract starches so I would suggest you steep then with some base malt. Somewhere around 65° or so for 30 minutes should be fine.

was just reading something about that gelatinised on a yankee site didn't quite understand it. so oats on their own dont really add much then? the recepie i found was golden naked oats that had to be cracked so assuming it gives more than oats that have already been rolled and steamed

I believe that rolled oats have undertaken some form of gelatinisation but not to the same extent as quick/instant oats. Both can be used though.

For best results they need to mashed but they don’t contain the enzymes to self convert the starches etc. so mashing with a base malt (like an ale malt) will assist.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hairy said:

I believe that rolled oats have undertaken some form of gelatinisation but not to the same extent as quick/instant oats. Both can be used though.

For best results they need to mashed but they don’t contain the enzymes to self convert the starches etc. so mashing with a base malt (like an ale malt) will assist.

ok thanks I was only looking at trying to get extra body and head retention from them anyway not sugars for alcohol will find a good malt to put with for an English bitter.

9 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

ok thanks I was only looking at trying to get extra body and head retention from them anyway not sugars for alcohol will find a good malt to put with for an English bitter.

Maris Otter 😉

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hairy said:

Maris Otter 😉

thanks I might just put a kg of this with 300 grams of quick oats and mash for an hour and see where that gets me to start with thanks for your help. I have another lager planned first but then this on the cards 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jamiek86 said:

Hello all I was just reading a thread and @Stickers had an interesting link to all the specially grains and normal grains.  it included if they need to be steeped or mashed i noticed all the different oats flaked or naked or malted said had to be mashed even though there for head retention and body.  so my question is can I use good old uncle tobys rolled oats in its place or does it have to be malted for brewing purposes? has anyone done this before or used oats in brewing? I'm going to have look at ROTM im sure I seen somewhere could get oats and steep them but would like to know what category rolled oats came under. help from all gainers or experienced partial mashers please. @Shamus O'Sean @Bearded Burbler @Otto Von Blotto @Red devil 44 @MUZZY

I just buy the homebrand quick oats from Woolies for when I use them. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Not so much body but it gives the beer a silky mouthfeel. I use it in porters and things like that, usually between 250 and 400g.

ok thanks I was after a bit of body might just try some specialty malts or maby will try a bit just once to see if i like the mouthfeel

Edited by jamiek86

Aldi quick oats for me. Cheap and good quality. Like Aussiekraut I only use in darker beers especially the porters I make for winter and about 400gm per batch. I have used it in light coloured beers a couple of times in smaller quantities and didn't like the mouthfeel. If I need more body id rather use carapils malt. But that's me. Doesn't mean it won't suit your tastes.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Here's a good kit based recipe.  Uses a mini-mash for the quick oats addition.  I made this brew and it was good.

thanks for this havent had a chance to view it yet but going to pick up my keggerator series x and all the bits and pieces I need for it tomorrow might have to make this one to try on tap

• Like 2

17 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

I'm going to have look at ROTM im sure I seen somewhere could get oats and steep them but would like to know what category rolled oats came under. help from all gainers or experienced partial mashers please.

Yeah I think the gun brewers above have dealt with this better than I could have - have used them in the past but don't reckon I got too much good out of it... reckon mashed malted wheat additions provide better input to my AGs in general rather than the good ol' rolled oats... just meself... others might suggest otherwise ; )

• Like 1