Coopers Community

Coopers Brew Box at Big W

DonPolo

I just bought a Coopers Brew Box at Big W for $69. https://www.bigw.com.au/product/coopers-diy-beer-brew-box/p/822127/

Its funny because I was considering buying another FV but didn't want all the extra bottles etc that the product comes with.

This product only has: 

1 x 34L Fermenting vessel and lid (makes 23L of beer)
2 x Lid clips
1 x Coopers snap tap
1 x Adhesive thermometer strip
1 x Durable hydrometer & measuring flask
1 x Bottle valve

Suits me.

• Like 4

I sold my two SS conicals that I'd ponied up $500 for, and replaced them with Coopers fermenters from Big W in those boxes. Very happy with the results and I turned one of the bottling wands into a keg filler.

Problem with the SS Technologies fermenters is the lousy cheap-arse little tap, the small volume as they are suited to just 6 gallon US batches, and the inability to see what's going on during the brew. With the new improved "shiny" and transparent plastic the Coopers are a joy to use.

I can't see the use for a krausen kollar, after about 20 brews now in temperature controlled fermenting fridges,  the plain fermenter does just fine. However I'm swimming in hydrometers right now and the Coopers ones seem to be unbreakable! I'd guess the krausen kollar is an insurance policy for newbies who do their first batch at 27 degrees in the shed and get a potential volcano.

Edited by Bribie G
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, MUZZY said:

@DonPolo A FV from Coopers online store is only $45 for members, including tap and K collar. Granted you don't get a hydrometer or a bottle wand with that though.

Fair enough but having the thought about all the extra bottles, cans of Coopers and all the rest, when I saw it in Big W,  I just thought "damn I'm here now and it's here, so I might as well buy it" In any case, the day before I did check the Coopers website but I didn't see anything similar. I only looked at the Brew Kits section and of course the fermenting vessel is hiding in the Accessories section ... who knew?.  So now I have an extra hydrometer and an extra bottling valve and no krausen collar. The valve looks like it would survive an nuclear attack so I'm not sure I'll be using it. However, my original hydrometer has always been about 5 points low so maybe the other one will allow me to stop doing mental arithmetic. Krausen Collar? I've so far never had need for one, even filling my 15L craft fermenter up to 11L. I thought I might have trouble because generally the recipes for the 15L FV are around 8.5L. So now I'm convinced I don't need one, you know what's going to happen next.....

One question for the experienced operators here: Can I assume that if necessary, there's nothing wrong with doing a small brew in a large vessel? I'm always interested in the comments from people who have an airlock. Coopers don't seem to think they are necessary. But if I had a brew of say 12L in a FV which holds 34L, would that be a problem?

7 minutes ago, DonPolo said:

One question for the experienced operators here: Can I assume that if necessary, there's nothing wrong with doing a small brew in a large vessel? I'm always interested in the comments from people who have an airlock. Coopers don't seem to think they are necessary. But if I had a brew of say 12L in a FV which holds 34L, would that be a problem?

I have done plenty of the Craft Recipes of the Month in the full sized fermenter.  I have also split a full batch into two full sized fermenters, so about 11.5 litres in each.  I have had no issues doing this.

Some guys mention about having the massive headspace and risk of infection.  It has not been a problem for me.

• Like 3

Back in the day when I had a 60 litre fermenter I regularly did a 23 litre brew with massive headspace, no problems. The surface of the brew will have pure CO2 just above it while it is fermenting and has no knowledge of how deep that layer is - could be a kilometre for all it cares.

• Like 4

I've given up on Coopers FV's.

I have one, but the tap broke after I'd been using it for a long time.

Ordered a new tap and Aust Post stuffed around with the order. It sat in Qld for a week.
I phoned and they wouldn't discuss it as they said it was nothing to do with me.
It was between them and Coopers. Eventually after two weeks it arrived.
It lasted one brew and it broke. The little plastic bits inside snapped. Just couldn't be bothered.

Anyhow I wouldn't worry about a collar. I only used it a couple of times.
One of those for an Imperial Russian Stout, and there was really no need.

On 10/14/2020 at 9:41 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

I have done plenty of the Craft Recipes of the Month in the full sized fermenter.  I have also split a full batch into two full sized fermenters, so about 11.5 litres in each.  I have had no issues doing this.

Some guys mention about having the massive headspace and risk of infection.  It has not been a problem for me.

Only hassle I find with doing a small batch in the large  fermenter is that the tap sits at about the 5L mark so can be annoying to try and get everything out and into bottles. 

First world problems.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I bought one of these over a month ago at Big W.  There's no mention of the product on Cooper's website (which is where the QR code takes you).

Used it for the first time recently. The tap leaks. Never had a problem with Coopers before. Not impressed by a) apparent non-existence of the product on Cooper's DIY page outside this forum, and b) faulty product (is this why it doesn't exist online?).

Has anyone else had this problem?

On 10/14/2020 at 9:41 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

Done also a few Coopers Craft recipes in a big fermenter. No problems at all

On 10/18/2020 at 12:07 AM, ScottyMac said:

Only hassle I find with doing a small batch in the large  fermenter is that the tap sits at about the 5L mark so can be annoying to try and get everything out and into bottles. 

First world problems.

I feel for you. Two of my fermenters are from the local brew shop, the tap sits on 2.5l. On my beloved stainless steel mangrove jack fv its on 4 l. Annoying.

working as a chef I realised that most equipment gets designed by people from outside the field.

1 hour ago, Rockactiv said:

I bought one of these over a month ago at Big W.  There's no mention of the product on Cooper's website (which is where the QR code takes you).

Used it for the first time recently. The tap leaks. Never had a problem with Coopers before. Not impressed by a) apparent non-existence of the product on Cooper's DIY page outside this forum, and b) faulty product (is this why it doesn't exist online?).

Has anyone else had this problem?

Hi @Rockactiv if you feel you have a faulty product contact Coopers as they always stand by their products, I had a faulty tap once & it was replaced the next day. 

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=08ab17dc0d3a80ad57ac91a4744588b497e22a1de0fcec934ff621d358f6838eJmltdHM9MTY1MTkwMTE3NyZpZ3VpZD05N2U1NjMxZi04ZGFjLTRhMjEtYmRlMy1hN2EyMDRjN2Q4MzQmaW5zaWQ9NTE3OQ&ptn=3&fclid=384e42a2-cdc6-11ec-bd1e-8e7fa26abc98&u=a1aHR0cHM6Ly9jb29wZXJzLmNvbS5hdS9kaXktYmVlcg&ntb=1

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Thank you, I'll give it a go.

On 5/7/2022 at 1:27 PM, Classic Brewing Co said:

You were right. Frank contacted me today. A replacement tap is in the mail, and I'll be sending the faulty tap back to Coopers for QA purposes. Thank you again.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rockactiv said:

You were right. Frank contacted me today. A replacement tap is in the mail, and I'll be sending the faulty tap back to Coopers for QA purposes. Thank you again.

Mate I am happy for you, there is NEVER a problem with any of Coopers products inasmuch as customer satisfaction, service & follow up. They are an amazing company & I for one am proud to be a small part of it albeit a forum member & customer.

Cheers

Phil

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Mate I am happy for you, there is NEVER a problem with any of Coopers products inasmuch as customer satisfaction, service & follow up. They are an amazing company & I for one am proud to be a small part of it albeit a forum member & customer.

Cheers

Phil

But it is the forum that rocks 🙂 I like Coopers beer and I used to use Coopers kits in the past, almost exclusively, and I really have a soft spot for the brewery. in fact, when I left Germany, I threw a little party for the guys at work and spent a small fortune getting a couple of cartons of Sparking Ale. I first got a taste of the beer in a pub called the Down Under Bar in Frankfurt, run by an Aussie. I thought it was a pretty suitable beer to serve. 

Even when I restarted my brewing a few years back (let's not talk about my first attempts twenty odd years ago), I stuck with Coopers and then I found this forum. This is the place that taught me pretty much everything I know about brewing and whilst I am no longer brewing kits, I will always have a soft spot for Coopers. When I go to a pub, I will drink a Pale or a sparkling. Why? Because this is a brewery not owned by Asahi, InterBev or who knows what., brewing some great beers. I sincerely hope they can fend off any takeover attempts and do not fall for the temptation of big bucks. 

• Like 4