Coopers Community

What Are You Growing? 2020

ben 10

11 hours ago, Beerlust said:

Where's the Rosella flowers?

3 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

Pain in the arse to harvest so have not gotten around to it again

I agree with ya Ben. Making the jam was a good experience but when I see things like this on the net. I just say, yeah nah, I’ll get the dried stuff. 160g of dried leaf for $20. Killing it. 

59ED818A-F600-4768-94D9-C5F61E3F66F1.png

• Like 2

10 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

I’ll get the dried stuff.

Cappo do you know what land it comes from?

I had something similar in a steep in my first Red Mtn Pils and I think it added a nice colour and a little bit of a festive tart finish...

11 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

I agree with ya Ben. Making the jam was a good experience but when I see things like this on the net. I just say, yeah nah, I’ll get the dried stuff. 160g of dried leaf for $20. Killing it. 

59ED818A-F600-4768-94D9-C5F61E3F66F1.png

Hey Ben & Capt.

What weight of this would help with the colour you were able create in that Rosella Saison Ben? If I remember correctly,  your weight was much higher, but maybe not dried weight like this example listed by Capt.

I absolutely loved the colour of that Saison. I've never seen anything like it so would love to be able to re-create that colour in something myself. It's why I bug you about it.

What do you think?

Lusty.

4 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

would love to be able to re-create that colour in something myself

Am also interested Lusty... here was my Red Mtn Pils with the Hibiscus... not very good photos sadly... one on overcast day and the other bad lighting in kitch at night...  but it did have a nice colour - keen to see what @Ben 10 comes back with...

image.png.07f497ce65f1779d494093e1afda4f5d.png

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

Hey Ben & Capt.

What weight of this would help with the colour you were able create in that Rosella Saison Ben? If I remember correctly,  your weight was much higher, but maybe not dried weight like this example listed by Capt.

I absolutely loved the colour of that Saison. I've never seen anything like it so would love to be able to re-create that colour in something myself. It's why I bug you about it.

What do you think?

Lusty.

I reckon bang the whole lot in. I’m going to do another one come summer. It’ll either be pink or red. Either way it’ll look and taste awesome 

according to brewdog they put something like 35g in their hibiscus pale. I’m guessing that would be more pink then anything 

Edited by The Captain!!
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Am also interested Lusty... here was my Red Mtn Pils with the Hibiscus... not very good photos sadly... one on overcast day and the other bad lighting in kitch at night...  but it did have a nice colour - keen to see what @Ben 10 comes back with...

I've never seen this colour in a beer in my life. It's why I continue to bug Ben about it.

9 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

I reckon bang the whole lot in. I’m going to do another one come summer. It’ll either be pink or red. Either way it’ll look and taste awesome 

Throwing the deep pinkish hue is the key. If it is too saturated it'll throw a deeper red that I wouldn't want as I could probably get that from a grain source.

The colour Ben created was awesome I thought. 😎

Lusty.

• Like 1

Just now, Beerlust said:

I've never seen this colour in a beer in my life. It's why I continue to bug Ben about it.

Throwing the deep pinkish hue is the key. If it is too saturated it'll throw a deeper red that I wouldn't want as I could probably get that from a grain source.

The colour Ben created was awesome I thought. 😎

Lusty.

I guess one thing is to make the beer generally really pale. The darker the beer the less that pink you want would come through. 
I think in my beer I put about 250g wet. And it was no where near what I wanted. Probably be more like 500 - 600g wet with the grist colour I had. Trying to work out a dry weight will be difficult without trial and error. The best thing about the dried stuff is you can keep adding more until the pinkness is at the desirable level. 
I honest think for the deep pink hue it will take around 100-120g for a 23l beer. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Cappo do you know what land it comes from?

I had something similar in a steep in my first Red Mtn Pils and I think it added a nice colour and a little bit of a festive tart finish...

No idea where it comes from. 
The tart finish was something I really liked. And with a saison yeast it’s very complimentary 

• Like 1

That's really close Capt. & a lovely colour too. I think? I commented as such at the time you first posted that pic.

Just a different glass & light angle maybe.

Did you use dry weight? From memory of when you posted this, I'm guessing you used fresh like Ben did.

You're right though, just trial & error with dry weight I guess. Does dry weight generally add less colour than wet weight? 🤔

Lusty.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

That's really close Capt. & a lovely colour too. I think? I commented as such at the time you first posted that pic.

Just a different glass & light angle maybe.

Did you use dry weight? From memory of when you posted this, I'm guessing you used fresh like Ben did.

You're right though, just trial & error with dry weight I guess. Does dry weight generally add less colour than wet weight? 🤔

Lusty.

Definitely a smaller glass so that’s why Ben’s would look better in the wider glass. As his was definitely more hibiscus added. 
I added mine direct off the Bush into a steep at 95c. 
Bens pinkish hue in the head is the give away. 
im going to do another for summer come spring. 
I knew when adding that it wasn’t enough but didn’t have anymore so what I got was what I got. Pretty, just not pretty enough. 

Edited by The Captain!!
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

..I added mine direct off the Bush into a steep at 95c. 
Bens pinkish hue in the head is the give away. 
im going to do another for summer come spring. 

....and this helps answer my question how?? LOL 😜

It's nice that you appreciate what he did apparently as much as I did. I'll figure it out. 😉

Also what you said earlier about working off a light malt base helps with throwing hues is spot on. I'll probably work off a primarily Pilsner malt base.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

The tart finish was something I really liked. And with a saison yeast it’s very complimentary  

Was thinking of doing a Saison for once... and have few hundred g of raspberries (frozen) and was going to stew up sift out seeds and add - question is - at what stage - at steeping/end of boil etc and prior to ferment?

4 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Was thinking of doing a Saison for once... and have few hundred g of raspberries (frozen) and was going to stew up sift out seeds and add - question is - at what stage - at steeping/end of boil etc and prior to ferment?

For raspberries I’d place them in the FV. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Beerlust said:

I'll probably work off a primarily Pilsner malt base.

And you'll only ever get it light enough going all grain - but you know that.
And cheers for the kind words, I have not seen that pic for a long time, good beer it was.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

And you'll only ever get it light enough going all grain - but you know that.

Not true mate. If I've wanted a light coloured beer it isn't a problem with extract. Briess produce a Pilsner LME & DME.

http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Products/Extracts.htm#PilsenLight

Kolsch.jpg

That Kolsch is a mixture of Briess Pilsner LME/DME with some Vienna & Rye malt grains.

5 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

...And cheers for the kind words, I have not seen that pic for a long time, good beer it was.

When you make sensational looking beers like that Saison, it isn't hard to compliment. 😎

Love your work.

Lusty.

• Haha 1

On 6/8/2020 at 8:17 PM, Bearded Burbler said:

Beaut YeastyBoy!  Mate it either must rain where you are or you got irrigation... lovely crop there!

Had early Autumn rains just after I dug over my new patch and then regular follow up rain was still warm.

First mild frost appeared last weekend so I decided it was time to lift them.

Almost the perfect year for a late Potato harvest.

Bonus is this patch will be all good for spring planting which is getting closer by the day.

Cheers S

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

So how long from planting to harvest YB?

Think it was the start of March when I had the excavator out on the farm and decided to turn over the new vegie patch.

So just over 3 months from go to whoa. Not a huge harvest however very tasty spuds.

I wont drop my next chitted spuds until September when the outlook looks good (no frosts). 

That way we normally get new seasons spuds for Xmas. Be pink eyes!!

Keep ya posted?? YB

Edited by YeastyBoy
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Festive Christmas Spuddlies sounds very nice @YeastyBoy YB!

Whereabouts in general location are you again?

Xmas roasted spuds for the table on the big day is a real tradition here.

Like having enough good beer to get through the day for all comers!!

FYI, South East Tassie on a property with healthy basalt soils and good rainfall.

Amazing soil, just add water and you could grow babies in the stuff.

Cheers YB

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 6/12/2020 at 5:55 PM, YeastyBoy said:

FYI, South East Tassie on a property with healthy basalt soils and good rainfall.

Amazing soil, just add water and you could grow babies in the stuff.

Cheers YB

Sounds fantastic! Apart from frosts ha ha ha 

• Haha 1