Coopers Community

What Are You Growing? 2020

ben 10

9 hours ago, YeastyBoy said:

BB,

Presume the garlic bulbs in the pantry are sprouting with green tips emerging.

To easy, separate to cloves from the bulb and simply plant the cloves pointy end up in the garden.

Let nature take its course. Come Xmas & you have a bulb of garlic.

Soaking is not required, they take off fairly quickly from March onwards so long as the rich soil is moist.

Cheers YB

Yeah have done that plenty YB - but the last two years due to major dry - been a disaster - had planted plenty bulb sprouters and off they went - but then no rain - and the end.

This year - got zero/nichts/nil garlic lying around sprouting... and finally it is raining... Murphy's law...  so was wondering whether one could buy some 'sets' like 'onion sets' but can't find anything cost-effective and readily available... 3 sprouters for $4.80 from Bunno is a bit rich I reckon...

A mate reckons he might have some old garlic from Tassie lying around with some sprouters... might try getting some of those...  all you Garlic Guns with rainfall or hoses with assured water supply will have got yours in the ground and they will be half done by the time I get around to it ha ha?!

• Like 1

On 5/29/2020 at 10:08 PM, Bearded Burbler said:

Yeah have done that plenty YB - but the last two years due to major dry - been a disaster - had planted plenty bulb sprouters and off they went - but then no rain - and the end.

This year - got zero/nichts/nil garlic lying around sprouting... and finally it is raining... Murphy's law...  so was wondering whether one could buy some 'sets' like 'onion sets' but can't find anything cost-effective and readily available... 3 sprouters for $4.80 from Bunno is a bit rich I reckon...

A mate reckons he might have some old garlic from Tassie lying around with some sprouters... might try getting some of those...  all you Garlic Guns with rainfall or hoses with assured water supply will have got yours in the ground and they will be half done by the time I get around to it ha ha?!

Hi BB,

Got it now. Hope you get rain sooner rather than later & pick up a few sprouted garlic bulbs for the garden.

Reckon it is not too late to get them in the ground.

Yeap my current garlic crop is going gang busters. Been a good year south of Australia!!

Cheers YB

• Like 1

Apparently I planted capsicum at the wrong time of year but a few green things have popped up in the area where I dropped the capsicum seeds. Do these leaves look like capsicum plants to any of you more experienced gardeners? They don't look like any of the capsicum images I've seen on Google so far.

IMG20200603082429.jpg

3 hours ago, MUZZY said:

Do these leaves look like capsicum plants to any of you more experienced gardeners

Not like Capsies Muzz no.... may look a bit like a spinach of sorts... something obviously likes chewing on it...  dunno Muz... but could just be one of self-sown menagerie of weed seeds floating around in the district... Looks like you got a cuppla other likely suspects.... bit of grass.... and clover/medic type plant (good for nitrogen but can take over)...          Cheers Muzz  ; )

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Haha 1

No, that's definitely not capsicum.  That's what I call dock - or possibly sorrel - otherwise known as Rumex.  They are very close.  They are an edible 'weed'  or perhaps an edible 'volunteer'.  They have a long taproot and some gardeners leave them as they mine nutrients from deep in the soil and bring it to the surface (like dandelions) and their roots help aerate the ground.   Sorrel is a kind of dock - a member of the buckwheat family - that is cultivated for its tasty leaves.

Edited by Thirsty Jim
  • Like 2

I use sorrel at the base of my citrus trees for the nutrient factor, however sorrel does require a fair bit of water. 

Handy tip: 

Cut sorrel leaves off and place them in a bucket with a drain in it, fill it to the brim, Weight the leaves down with A couple of bricks, leave and this’ll break down over a few weeks and a very nutrient rich brown liquid mess would have drained out.

Capture and dilute like a seaweed solution, feed plants. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Thirsty Jim said:

That's what I call dock - or possibly sorrel 

Good stuff Thirsty!  It doesn't match what I know as dock... but sorrel quite possibly...  believe @MUZZY is down Adelaide way so that might fit the bill...

• Like 1

Common names often cover a range of plants and can be different in one place to another.  Dock is a very common name covering hundreds of different plants.  Sometimes the same common name is applied to two plants of totally different families.  For example, that clover like plant growing around Muzzy's dock is probably wood sorrel,  even though wood sorrel is an oxalis not a rumex and in no way related. to other sorrels.    Then again it might be clover... but my money would be on oxalis.. . or wood sorrel.   The best way to tell is to wait until it flowers.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Thirsty Jim said:

Common names often cover a range of plants and can be different in one place to another..... The best way to tell is to wait until it flowers.

Truly spoken

That clover leaf looking plant is "soursobs" which is a member of the oxalis family.  It is a pest weed that grows from a bulbous root.  Once you have got it, it is very hard to get rid of.  Spraying it will kill the plant but not the bulb.  Digging up the soil tends to distribute the small bulbs.

Good luck Muzz.

Can't help you with the other plant, but it looks similar to a weed we call turnip weed.  If it is that weed, it has a big tap root & the weed spreads out flat stopping other plants from growing around it.

I'm not a horticulturist by any stretch, but have sprayed a fair few weeds in the vineyard at work.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Thirsty Jim said:

Good tip.  Same applies to comfrey and nettles.  Excellent nutrient.

Did not know about nettles. Thanks.

I don’t consider myself a great gardener but it sounds like you’ve got a healthy amount of plant knowledge there Thirsty Jim. 

It rubs off on me Captain.  I don't consider myself any sort of expert.  I just keep company with other gardeners.  It wasn't so long ago I only saw weeds but now I can generally name them.  

Knowing a little basic biology helps.  So does knowing a little Latin.   So does Wikipedia 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Oranges, limes, mandarins, lemons and ruby grapefruit all going nuts.
Heaps of ginger too, the plants have died back but it it available all year round, conveniently stored under the dirt.

• Like 3

On 6/3/2020 at 3:13 PM, Thirsty Jim said:

Good tip.  Same applies to comfrey and nettles.  Excellent nutrient.

Apparently you can cook with nettles and even make tea.

Couple of live off the land locals usually pick my unplanned nettle patches, saves me spraying or grubbing them out!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 6/4/2020 at 1:21 PM, Ben 10 said:

Oranges, limes, mandarins, lemons and ruby grapefruit all going nuts.
Heaps of ginger too, the plants have died back but it it available all year round, conveniently stored under the dirt.

Where's the Rosella flowers?