Coopers Community

What Are You Growing? 2020

ben 10

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Anyone expert on the diseases of Hops?

Or am I on the wrong thread here Brewers?

There is a thread here that might help.  However, it is a bit seasonal: Planting, sprouting, growing harvesting and using.  I have not been through it from the start, but I have not seen much discussion on diseases of hops for the past couple of years.  Some folks have their hops fail, which could be a disease issue of some sort.

Check it out:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

There is a thread here that might help.  However, it is a bit seasonal: Planting, sprouting, growing harvesting and using.  I have not been through it from the start, but I have not seen much discussion on diseases of hops for the past couple of years.  Some folks have their hops fail, which could be a disease issue of some sort.

Check it out:

Thanks Shamus!

Yeah I think I might be copping the old Verticillium Wilt or maybe some sort of leaf curl fungus...

Got some Sulphur based gear to try....

But cannot apply when we are having some rain finally... ha ha

Here we go hey - blooooody fires and dry as - save the hops from the drought by installing drip irrigation and a timer while I am away... .save the poor beggggar from the Roos and Wombats when I get back - then get fungal attack - and cannot treat due to rainfall?!  Phaaaaaaaaaaaarque.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2020 at 3:54 PM, Ben 10 said:

Figs YUMMY, and some random not sure what they are chillies. Look like Nagas

IMG_20200209_153959.thumb.jpg.5d5ea1f2132701ac6c135ab70f2458ba.jpg

Yeah, the chillies look like Bhuts. 

I've really neglected my chillies this year. I had a ripper of a harvest last season with quite a few kilos of red, yellow and purple Cayennes, Chocolate Habaneros, Red Naga Bhuts and some Butch-Ts. Oh yeah and some yellow Fatalii as well. This year it was just too hot and dry. I have a few Cayennes, had a fair few Bullhorns and some Choc Habs are popping up now, after I nursed the plant back to life.

Edited by Aussiekraut

just sowed two beds of garlic with 5 varieties. Ill sow another bed tomorrow with the rest of the garlic cloves, ill also sow the seeds from a flower for garlic shoot for salads as they grow.

Got a new variety in its third year now so im quite excited to see how that performs. Its creamy and nutty. 

Now to wait 7-9 months ha hahaha ha

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Captain!! said:

just sowed two beds of garlic with 5 varieties. Ill sow another bed tomorrow with the rest of the garlic cloves, ill also sow the seeds from a flower for garlic shoot for salads as they grow.

Got a new variety in its third year now so im quite excited to see how that performs. Its creamy and nutty. 

No vampires visiting your joint anytime soon Captain!!!

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

Sourdough pizza with homegrown fig, tomato, avocado and homemade cheese @Beerlust fruit on a pizza works well... HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAA

IMG_20200229_204010.thumb.jpg.dd226bd9672055071469baf267ed78f3.jpg

Congrats on all the home grown fruit & veggies etc. They look terrific....

....just not on a pizza! 😜

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2020 at 7:49 PM, The Captain!! said:

Captain,  

I have admired the photos of your garlic before and I am keen to plant some myself this year.  

I have a few questions though :

- the folksy thing is that you hold off planting garlic until the Equinox for a late spring early summer harvest.  You've gone a month early.  Where are you located (I am in Melbourne) ?  
Do you recommend planting early ?

- Any tips for prepping the ground ?  I have heard that you shouldn't over feed alliums. 

- Do you plant the garlic out on its own ?  Any recommendations for companion planting ?

- You have five different varieties.  Where do you source the bulbs ? 

• Like 1