Coopers Community

What Are You Growing? 2020

ben 10

1 hour ago, James of Bayswater said:

New gardeners should watch out for retailers selling seedlings out of season.  One lady member  was all excited that she had scored punnets of pumpkin seedlings at the big warehouse and she had bought so many she was offering them to the community garden. 

Pumpkins are at the very end of their season.  Those seedling will produce nothing and were virtually worthless but that didn't stop them charging her full price for them.

I have nothing against the big warehouse, in fact I am indebted to them in many ways, but the practice of selling out of season seedlings to gardening newbies is just wrong.

Agree some retailers lack knowledge and appropriate staff to advise new gardeners. 

Not a fan of picture packets of seeds either as greeny points out. I have found they tend to normally lack vigour and tend to be second rate seed, so I avoid.

Think the maxim of "you get what you pay for" applies.

Pays to buy directly from known reputable Vegie Seed Suppliers.

Cheers YB

2 hours ago, James of Bayswater said:

GREENY1525229549 , The Seed Collection is based in Ferntree Gully - my neck of the woods.   I put a large order in two years ago but I must admit I have been disappointed by the germination rates especially of anything more exotic.  It was great that they sell small samples at $1.20 a pack but not so good that they didn't germinate well.  You should be fine with your selection though as they are easy growing.   

Also in Ferntree Gully is the Wholefoods shop where I scored my spinach seed over the counter - and the seed supplier was Eden Seeds who I highly recommend and have always enjoyed excellent germination rates with their seeds.

I can remember a packet of Chinese cabbage from 2 year ago which was shocking for germination but the rest seem to have been ok.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, YeastyBoy said:

During my other day job (Essential Service) I have noticed a number of recently dug over lawns/flower beds for presumably vegetable patches?

New Vegie Gardeners, fantastic. 

Cool YeastyBoy...  agree mate.

Been a gardener since I was a kid... but only has been possible again now with rain. 

Bloooooody rabbit was in there again today I nearly did me block - but I am hoping that I might finally have got the last cuppla ways of getting in now closed - third time lucky I am hoping!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

Im still growing fruit/veg from seeds I bought 8-10 years ago. 

Yes mate put in some more spinach today off seeds from the old plants... my old Grandfather showed me how to harvest radish seed... learnt from there.

• Like 2

On 2/20/2020 at 7:40 PM, Aussiekraut said:

Yeah, the chillies look like Bhuts. 

I've really neglected my chillies this year. I had a ripper of a harvest last season with quite a few kilos of red, yellow and purple Cayennes, Chocolate Habaneros, Red Naga Bhuts and some Butch-Ts. Oh yeah and some yellow Fatalii as well. This year it was just too hot and dry. I have a few Cayennes, had a fair few Bullhorns and some Choc Habs are popping up now, after I nursed the plant back to life.

Its been an odd season for sure. I planted red cayennes and Habaneros in late October from Bunnings stock and they just went nowhere for ages. Ended up with a nice crop of cayennes in the last 2 weeks but the Habeneros didnt fruit until late Feb and still haven't ripened.

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Cool YeastyBoy...  agree mate.

Been a gardener since I was a kid... but only has been possible again now with rain. 

Bloooooody rabbit was in there again today I nearly did me block - but I am hoping that I might finally have got the last cuppla ways of getting in now closed - third time lucky I am hoping!

Rabbit and vegetable pie would go nicely with a good pale ale.

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, UncleStavvy said:

Its been an odd season for sure. I planted red cayennes and Habaneros in late October from Bunnings stock and they just went nowhere for ages. Ended up with a nice crop of cayennes in the last 2 weeks but the Habeneros didnt fruit until late Feb and still haven't ripened.

Yeah it was in Sydney too. Tomatoes did ok and got a lot before they got smashed with the 46 on NYE and the 48 a few days later. Hurt my eggplants too and ensured I basically got no hops harvest. My eggplants came back before the rains hit and they got wet feet and went backwards. They are back now and producing in April.

• Sad 1

34 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

My eggplants came back before the rains hit and they got wet feet and went backwards. They are back now and producing in April. 

At least the Eggplants are having a go still Greeny - that is a beautiful thing after such a shite season!

I have noticed that my eggplants and capsicums seem to produce later each season.  I tend to grow them together as well (at home).  I considered it could be due to changing climate or perhaps I am planting them later as I do tend to hold off until after Cup day to plant them out.    I am not sure but I am not complaining as they make a welcome contribution late in the harvest that I enjoy very much. 

On a grimmer note I received a message from a lady who holds a plot at a community garden....

"Sadly Covid-19 restrictions prevent anything other than watering and harvesting for a period of 20 minutes only.  Of course social distancing in practice along with sanitising hands when handling taps, hosing and gates.

No more planting, weeding or digging. So sad for those who grow in abundance to share with family and friends. This is also vital exercise for us, and the opportunity to do something that is productive and worthwhile.

Plot holders are aware of the restrictions and while not necessarily happy with them, do hope the garden is not closed completely as I believe some already are.

I will never complain about weeding again!"

I do my best to comply with the restrictions but I don't understand how an individual weeding or digging or planting in an expansive community garden is going to spread the virus.   On the other hand I appreciate that most community gardens are incorporated and there are legal liabilities to be considered.

• Sad 2

On 3/31/2020 at 9:34 PM, James of Bayswater said:

But that is not all they are good for.  A Coopers Craft Fermenter fits in the box perfectly.  I can feel some low tech temperature control experiments coming on. I have a temperature sensor.  I only need to poke a small hole through the poly to monitor the brew without opening the box.  I'll give it a go and I'll report back with the results.

Just to tidy this up... forget it .   I was hoping the polybox would help maintain the brew temperature so that any further lowering of the temperature would be gradual and slow but that was not the case.  The brew lost 8º in temperature in the first 24 hours.  Admittedly it is unseasonably cold at present but that only meant the temperature would continue to fall so I brought out the heat belt.  The brew is still in the box but it cycling between 20 and 24º by manually switching on the heat belt every 4 hours.   Once the brew is done the box will become a planter.  

• Like 1

On 4/4/2020 at 8:01 PM, James of Bayswater said:

I have noticed that my eggplants and capsicums seem to produce later each season. 

The seasons have been so up and down james. Winter before last we got about 5 or 6 good frosts where i am in western sydney. Last winter not one. My thai eggplant lasted throughout winter and produced in again in spring before it got knocked around with heat. Now its back producing 5 or 6 a week again. Lets see what happens this winter.

• Like 1

I have never had any success over wintering anything  Greeny.  In Melbourne they would have to be in a greenhouse to survive.  Anything I have tried to overwinter in situ has failed.   It is clearly a different story in Western Sydney - although reports of 5 or 6 frosts surprise me.  I have only seen very light frosts in Melbourne for the past few years and I have avocados and pepinos  that survived them.    

I just accept that in a cool temperate climate (that is basically what Melbourne is these days) some plants are only annuals, or at least, best managed as annuals.

• Like 1

Hi all.

Some of you might remember I planted a Valencia orange tree a few months ago in honour of my late cousin, Troy, who committed suicide. As it's a memorial to him I'm very keen to ensure it does well.

This morning I noticed some new growth which is a great relief to me because it suggests at least I'm not killing it. However the growth is coming from the base of the tree.

Do any of you have any experience with citrus trees? Should I be slicing this new growth off to encourage the tree to grow upwards instead of outwards or should I just leave it alone and let nature take care of things? I've posted photos to show the new shoots.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

IMG20200407100048.jpg

IMG20200407100100.jpg

25 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

Is that bottom growth from rootstock? Looks grafted, if so CUT IT OFF

Hi Ben and thanks.

I think it might be rootstock but I wouldn't know the difference between rootstock and an letterbox. I've included a couple more pics which you may be able to identify if it's rootstock or not.

IMG20200407111509.jpg

IMG20200407111525.jpg

39 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

92612079_ScreenShot2020-04-07at12_21_08pm.png.019968bb104539a1b5939c5aea8cd987.png

That is where you can see the graft

I got a bit confused. I sort of knew that's where the graft is but the new shoots are coming out from below that so I figured they were shooting from the roots of the tree. 

1 minute ago, Ben 10 said:

Yes, which are from the rootstock and are bits you don't want.

Thanks, Ben. I wouldn't have known that. I've always been a set and forget type of gardener. Just whack things in the ground and hope for the best. But with this tree, it's sentimental value makes me want to ensure it flourishes.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, MUZZY said:

I've always been a set and forget type of gardener. But with this tree, it's sentimental value makes me want to ensure it flourishes.

Hey mate, best advice I can give ya with citrus is that they are very hungry feeders. I fertiliser with something different every change of the season apart from autumn/winter change. I’ll fertilise with say cow poo, then compost/manure mix, then blood and bone/chook poo mix. 
Probably a good idea to have some white oil around too for when the scale and ants come/citrus leaf miner/etc. 

Also when it comes time to prune, just prune to shape. 
Not saying this is all you need to know but if you want it to flourish........

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

Hey mate, best advice I can give ya with citrus is that they are very hungry feeders. I fertiliser with something different every change of the season apart from autumn/winter change. I’ll fertilise with say cow poo, then compost/manure mix, then blood and bone/chook poo mix. 
Probably a good idea to have some white oil around too for when the scale and ants come/citrus leaf miner/etc. 

Also when it comes time to prune, just prune to shape. 
Not saying this is all you need to know but if you want it to flourish........

Thanks, Skipper! I appreciate your input. I've got a few different fertilisers at home so that's good to know I can use almost any of them.

• Like 1