Coopers Community

What Are You Growing? 2020

ben 10

Festive Lettuce from seed and some more Ruby Cherubs ; )      All these things possible w a bit of rain hey?!

Prolly a wee bit cold for a salad really but was tasty w fresh garlic... some home-grown Coriander... home spuddlies and some chopped up Falafels 😛

W Paw Paw for dessert = health fest (for once)

image.png.bc1ecc6192ae6c7a8ab44f184db5647f.png

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

So, here is why I plant garlic early. Compared to the normal winter solstice thing people talk about. 
The back ones where planted at the start of March/end of February. The foreground planted at the winter solstice. 
All the energy from the leaves will go back into the seeds, being the bulb.
I will post the harvest too so people can see why. 

9F057E01-9B67-4CFF-BE6C-00637B1A935D.jpeg

• Like 1

I have some elephant garlic I grow, & seasons really don't affect it. It just keeps on keeping on. Incredible how it just keeps reproducing new bulbs. If normal garlic grows like this, I can certainly understand your approach.

Also you have milder Winters than we do here in SA. I saw it was forecast for 19°C or something there today/yesterday.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 2

Not really me growing it as the plant is at my olds and has been since I was a kid, but coffee. I picked the ripe "cherries" a couple of days ago, got the beans out and had them soaking in water since. Today I took them out and washed them, and they are now drying off on my hop rack. Probably roast them next week. I did a small test run last week with a handful of them I'd picked earlier which went pretty well. 

PSX_20200721_153602.thumb.jpg.bc5398a37ac8e177255ae667d610327a.jpg

20200722_014959.thumb.jpg.5137a88f0f2ce9b951759d28dc3c9373.jpg

PSX_20200723_113118.thumb.jpg.d47102d9469d42b985160b6cee3b914b.jpg

PSX_20200723_113241.thumb.jpg.5657ce6c4515afbf82521c0813d0d494.jpg

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 6

19 hours ago, Beerlust said:

I have some elephant garlic I grow, & seasons really don't affect it. It just keeps on keeping on. Incredible how it just keeps reproducing new bulbs. If normal garlic grows like this, I can certainly understand your approach.

Also you have milder Winters than we do here in SA. I saw it was forecast for 19°C or something there today/yesterday.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Yeah it’s 17-21 for the next week and that’s pretty normal. 
Elephant garlic hey. Nice! You’ve clearly got a type well conditioned to your climate 

• 2 weeks later...

The coffee beans in my previous post had sufficiently dried out after having a few days out in the sun last week. I'd been gradually removing them from that parchment layer while watching TV over the past few days and last night got them all done, so today was roasting day. 

Rather than use the oven, I decided on the stainless steel pan so I could more easily keep them agitated during the roasting process and achieve a more even roast, which from looks appeared to have worked pretty well.

So in they went and I stirred/flicked them around the pan with a wooden spoon. The audible cracking began after a few minutes, and I took them out after the second cracking, threw them between a colander and a strainer for a few minutes to cool them quicker and remove the chaff as much as possible, then into an old coffee jar with the lid slightly off to allow them to gas off overnight. They smell bloody fantastic already. 

PSX_20200803_150611.thumb.jpg.6532f77d0eb4ba1c298183ff477752ef.jpg

PSX_20200803_150715.thumb.jpg.bc4ef735b5eb031ff237601f84d8c1bd.jpg

PSX_20200803_151027.thumb.jpg.1633087dec03a5ba8b602f18c604789e.jpg

PSX_20200803_151630.thumb.jpg.de90ce79e758b5fbbdcc648ec8c747bf.jpg

• Like 7

16 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I'll probably do it again next year when it produces beans again. I also planted a few of them to grow a tree here, not that it will produce anything for a while assuming I can get it to grow at all

They should go ok. Mate planted a few and they went nuts. They fruited quite early from memory.

• Like 1

Yeah just got them in a small pot to start off. Once it grows enough I'll move it to a big pot so it can grow big enough to hopefully produce some beans. I've also got another pot which is bigger, that had something in it that died, that I just threw a few cherries in to see what happens, but the small one I removed the beans and soaked them for a day before planting. 

On 7/23/2020 at 12:26 PM, Otto Von Blotto said:

icked the ripe "cherries" a couple of days ago,

Did you have a chew?  The outside coat is quite nice and sugary from memory as a kid ; )     Just chewing on the outside coat of the seed itself.... 

Just now, Otto Von Blotto said:

No chewing involved, just a hammer and a chopping board 🤣

Next time grab a cuppla freshy picked beans and just have a gentle chew on the very fresh fruit outside coat - the skin - exocarp - worth a go : )

You can keep those beans and wash em for use later ; )

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, MUZZY said:

@The Captain!!, A very professional looking set up there. Nice work.

Capt. is a regular on the Pro Garlic Festival tour each year. He is generally quite humble about the whole thing & how good he is at growing garlic.

Below is a pic I found of him (I think? 🤔) winning the title at the nationals for the "Most Potent Medium to Large Sized Garlic" category for a third straight year.

image.png.da545d88cf53b626271d2383425e3b14.png

That's Capt. in the middle wearing the winners customary wreath, with the second & third placegetter's either side of him.

Capt. could have made history earlier this year had he competed & won again. Unfortunately on the ride over to the event he was involved in a bizarre bus accident where a fat guy fell on him & he was unable to complete the journey across to compete (due to injury). 😞

I personally don't believe it was an accident, & was orchestrated by a rival garlic growing competitor, maybe several of them.

Anyways, all the best of luck for reclaiming your title next year Capt. Maybe don't take the bus ride over next year! 😉

Lusty.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

51 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

Capt. is a regular on the Pro Garlic Festival tour each year. He is generally quite humble about the whole thing & how good he is at growing garlic.

Below is a pic I found of him (I think? 🤔) winning the title at the nationals for the "Most Potent Medium to Large Sized Garlic" category for a third straight year.

That's Capt. in the middle wearing the winners customary wreath, with the second & third placegetter's either side of him.

Capt. could have made history earlier this year had he competed & won again. Unfortunately on the ride over to the event he was involved in a bizarre bus accident where a fat guy fell on him & he was unable to complete the journey across to compete (due to injury). 😞

I personally don't believe it was an accident, & was orchestrated by a rival garlic growing competitor, maybe several of them.

Anyways, all the best of luck for reclaiming your title next year Capt. Maybe don't take the bus ride over next year! 😉

Lusty.

I am so far behind the times. I didn't even know there was a pro garlic festival tour. 😁

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Beerlust said:

Lusty.

Bloody hell Lusty. That cracked me up. Those fat garlic growers will get you on those craft beer festival buses won’t they

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

I am so far behind the times. I didn't even know there was a pro garlic festival tour. 😁

Lusty has embellished a little @MUZZY

The bloke in the middle of the picture is gardening Australia’s own Tasmanian Tino Carnevale.
And It’s not Australian, just regional, as I live in WA we can’t post or have other forms of garlic enter WA for disease and pest reasons. (Quarantine). But yeah I am one of the more prominent growers in the amateur category and do ok each year. 
cheers 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2